Home

Catholics...

Seeing as the topic of Religion has been poping up a lot and that I go to a Catholic School I have a few questions for you.

1.Why is everything the Pope says infaible?

2.What do you think out non-Catholics?(I hate being called Protestants, I'm a Christain who belongs to the Presbyterian dinonations and nothing more.

3. Why won't you have let people who aren't Catholic but are baptized Christians have Communion at your Chruch if we both worship the same God?(At my Chruch it doesn't matter as long as you're baptized by ANY Christian dinonation

4. Why do the Priest and other higher ranks in your Chruch treat the members as if it were still the 12th and earlier centuries were the members couldn't read.

5.Why you have Mass on all other days along with Sundays.

I have more questions but I'll ask those later. If you have anyquestions about my Chruch feel free to ask.

------------------

Lost. One sig. Property of RL. Please return in somewhat stable condition

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Conor

Catholics believe St. Peter was infallible when pronouncing on faith and morals (for many reasons, such as Jesus building the Church on him and giving him the keys to the Kingdom). We believe that authority passed directly along to his successor, the Bishop of Rome (Pope). Keep in mind the Pope is not infallible on everything, just when he is speaking ex cathedra (out of the throne) on faith and morals.

Catholics believe the Reformation (and for that matter, the great schism) should not have happened as the Bible specifically declares the Church should have no divisions. We hope to bring them back to the fold somehow, someday.

Protestants (at least the vast majority of them) do not believe Communion is the actual Body and Blood of Jesus made physical. We believe it is inappropriate for anyone who doesn't actually believe this to consume Him. In other words, we believe the correct mindset is necessary.

I am not sure how to answer the 4th question because I don't know what you mean.

We offer mass every day because we are encouraged to celebrate the Eucharist (Communion) as often as we can as it is the central point of our entire faith. However, only Sunday mass is obligatory for the faithful (as well as certain important days throughout the year).

Originally posted by Rebel Loyaltist:

Seeing as the topic of Religion has been poping up a lot and that I go to a Catholic School I have a few questions for you.

1.Why is everything the Pope says infaible?

2.What do you think out non-Catholics?(I hate being called Protestants, I'm a Christain who belongs to the Presbyterian dinonations and nothing more.

3. Why won't you have let people who aren't Catholic but are baptized Christians have Communion at your Chruch if we both worship the same God?(At my Chruch it doesn't matter as long as you're baptized by ANY Christian dinonation

4. Why do the Priest and other higher ranks in your Chruch treat the members as if it were still the 12th and earlier centuries were the members couldn't read.

5.Why you have Mass on all other days along with Sundays.

I have more questions but I'll ask those later. If you have anyquestions about my Chruch feel free to ask.

1. That is not exactly true, first of all. It's not everything he says, it's only when he speaks on issues of faith or morals that he is said to be infalible. This is because Christ promises in Matthew that His Church would never be overcome by the powers of evil, and because He promised to be with the apostles always, and to send them the Holy Spirit to guide them as well. This means that whenever the pope, as the head of Christ's Church, makes an official statement on an issue of faith or morals, that God protects him from making a mistake, as per His promise.

2. What do I think of them? In a religious sense, I think they have the right idea, but have several important misconceptions. These do not mean that all Protestants will be damned, of course, but they do lack the ability to participate in Christianity to its fullest. Will they go to Heaven? Not all of them. Just like all Catholics will not go to Heaven. In other words, they don't go to Hell for not being Catholics!

3. Not only that, but we are forbidden to recieve Communion in any other church. All this is because Catholics believe that the bread and wine are the true, literal body and blood of Christ. You must profess that to be able to recieve that. Since Protestants do not, they cannot recive it. Also, taking Communion has always implied a bond in faith, and that is not present when a Protestant in a Catholic Church, or vice-versa.

4. I have no idea what you mean by this.

5. Why not? Mass isn't just for keeping the Sabbath holy. It has many graces associated with it, and it is good to recieve them as often as possible. You don't have to go every day, but if you want to, it is there for you.

Another reason we have mass on saturday nights was originally because the Sabbath starts at sundown on saturday (ask any Jew. they'll back that up). Back in the Old Country (At least this is what I was told by older people around here)(old country being poland/slovakia), there were plenty of farmers (as there are around here). Cows don't have any religion so they don't know that people can't milk them Sunday morning while those people are in church. Then someone got the idea that if you held Mass after sundown on Saturday, you can still have attended church on the Sabbath and be able to milk your cows on Sunday morning.

It appears that #4 is a gross misinterpretation of stuff that came way before Second Vatican...

1. Its 'infallable' and we belive hes been chosen by God (fate, destiny, if you cant undersand) to lead the people.

2. I dont care.

3. Because Catholics believe that the Communion is really 'The Body and Blood of Christ'. Its hard to believe but its all about faith.

4. We can read

5. They have Mass on Saturdays if you cant attend Saturday's Masses. Then if yer really religious, you can attend weekday Masses but you dont have to.

for question 4. I think you might mean why the priest appear to do all the gospels and that kind of stuff. (I'm not sure if that is what you mean) The reason is partly tradition, and at least in my chruch the priest on reads the Gospel, while the congergation reads the other two.

------------------

"Dulce bellum inexpertis."

(Sweet is war to those who have never experinced it.) Roman Proverb

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Well, count me out then.

I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut. corkysm29.gif

*(Chases priest away from pulpit with a stick.)*

(Joking.) wink.gif

Guest garyah99

As a protestant, I'd like clarifification on a few things; first, do you mean that you really believe the bread and wine is actually the body and blood of Jesus, sent down like manna from Heaven? We believe that it is a representation of Christ's body and blood, and receieve it with full faith and harmony with Christ. In order to receive it legitamately, you must be in good standing with the Lord, and have complete understanding in your mind and soul what the act of communion represents.

There are a lot more religious people than i thought here. Good. I'm a catholic, and don't think it really matters what form of God you believe in. He teaches us to care for others, and all forms of God teach us these things.

Guest Conor

Yes, we actually do believe it is the body and blood of Christ. It is quite simple really. We take Jesus literally in John 6.

As to why Jesus would tell everyone to eat his actual body and drink his actual blood, that explanation is harder. It has to do with the passover, and how Jesus was the passover sacrifice for the expiation of all sins. (the ultimate sacrifice such that His was all that was necessary).

In order for the passover sacrifice to be completed, the Jews had to eat the lamb, or it was incomplete. As Jesus is the very real eternal passover sacrifice, we must consume Him for the sacrifice to be complete. The Eucharist is actually the central point of the entire Catholic faith.

We do believe Jesus is the new manna from Heaven, the bread of life. On another note, that is why we believe Mary is the new Arc of the Covenant. She carried Jesus, embodied everything in the old arc: Jesus is the living word of God (as opposed to stone tablets), He is the High Priest (as opposed to the staff of Aaron symbolizing the high priesthood) and He is the bread of life, the new manna (as opposed to the manna that fed the Jews in the desert).

Not to poke at you Deac but I think what you said violates the first commandment (worship no other God...).

Originally posted by JR2000Z:

And priests arent that high ranking. Theres Bishops, Carinals...

Yeah, bishops can do more than priests, that is true. They can administer the sacrament of Confirmation for one. Also, only bishops can ordain (i.e. make a priest or a bishop or a deacon). Cardinals ARE bishops, and they have the same powers as "regular" bishops, but they participate in the election of a new pope. INTERESTING FACT: a cardinal can only participate in the election of a new pope if he is less than 80 years old.

Originally posted by garyah99:

We believe that it is a representation of Christ's body and blood, and receieve it with full faith and harmony with Christ.

Well, hang on there, because that's not quite true. Catholics believe in transubstantiation, meaning that once the priest makes the consecration, that bread and wine is the literal body and blood of Christ (though has the physical appearance of bread and wine). I even go every Wednesday to our church on campus, where we have an adoration of the consecrated host. When the brother takes it out of the tabernacle, we all kneel down on the floor, just as we would if Christ himself came into the room, for indeed, that is what is happening.

HOWEVER, all Protestants do not believe as you do. The Lutherans believe in consubstantiation, which (if I remember correctly) means they believe also that it is the true body and blood of Christ, but only after you take it into your body. Of course, since Catholics believe a validly ordained priest is needed to consecrate, we don't believe that that works for them.

One problem with catholic chruches is taht it is so easy to get caught up in the traditions, and "ways of doing it" taht you forget what is really imporant about christianity.. and that is the Word of God, and the 2 Sacraments he gave us (Babtizing, Lord Supper). And the mission (Matthew 28)

If you look at historic referances, during that time of the passover feast. there was no table in what we know of it now. Most people were louging around on pillows. Drinking wine, eating, telling stories.

It was never written that you "kneeled". It is proper to show respect of God's sacrament. Jesus gave thanks to the Bread and wine, he did not "make it holy"

The focus of all christianity should be on God word.. what he has taught us since the time of Adam, the time of Abraham, Issac, Isreal, Moses, David, and finally the ministery of Jesus. and his disiples. And not "how to properly do it"

I might be flaming here... and I'm sorry, but I partake of the Lord supper, and all you need to do is properly prepare yourself, for the reason WHY it is important, and WHY you should partake. Otherwise you will face Judgment from God for your sins.

It is like taking medication... if for the right reasons, it will help you, if not.. it may harm or even kill you.

Please... I have an open mind.. but i am very hesitant to hear false teachings.

Originally posted by K_Kinnison:

One problem with catholic chruches is taht it is so easy to get caught up in the traditions, and "ways of doing it" taht you forget what is really imporant about christianity.. and that is the Word of God, and the 2 Sacraments he gave us (Babtizing, Lord Supper). And the mission (Matthew 28)

If you look at historic referances, during that time of the passover feast. there was no table in what we know of it now. Most people were louging around on pillows. Drinking wine, eating, telling stories.

It was never written that you "kneeled". It is proper to show respect of God's sacrament. Jesus gave thanks to the Bread and wine, he did not "make it holy"

The focus of all christianity should be on God word.. what he has taught us since the time of Adam, the time of Abraham, Issac, Isreal, Moses, David, and finally the ministery of Jesus. and his disiples. And not "how to properly do it"

I might be flaming here... and I'm sorry, but I partake of the Lord supper, and all you need to do is properly prepare yourself, for the reason WHY it is important, and WHY you should partake. Otherwise you will face Judgment from God for your sins.

It is like taking medication... if for the right reasons, it will help you, if not.. it may harm or even kill you.

Please... I have an open mind.. but i am very hesitant to hear false teachings.

7 sacraments wink.gif Actually, even all Protestants don't agree with you about what you said of the 2 sacraments. And the Word of God is important - it makes up the Liturgy of the Word at Mass. The other thing you said as being important, the body and blood, makes up the other part (Liturgy of the Eucharist). You see, we really do have the same focus.

However, I completely disagree with you when you say that Catholics get caught up in how it is done. Many do, I'm sure, but the Church as a whole certainly does not. Take a look at some of the things John Paul II has written, and I think that will be more than clear. The Church does do things a certain way for our own good, though, and we should follow those things. Example - priests cannot marry. Now, God never said that. Most of the apostles were married, in fact. The Church forbids it, however. That does NOT mean the Church thinks it is wrong, but the Church has the authority to make such desicions because of the power given to it by Christ. The pope thinks it is better that men devote themselves completely to God, and so they are forbidden to marry. It is not wrong, it is just not the best way of doing things, in other words.

There can be no doubt that Christ gave authority to the Church; that much is obvious from the Bible. What is the Chruch, though? I'm sure you would say it is the community of believers. If you look carefully, though, the Bible reveals that this is not the case. There were believers who broke away from the apostles, and they were not considered part of the Church. As I have said, they will not be damned for it, but it is to their own spiritual impoverishment.

Guest garyah99

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:

Well, hang on there, because that's not quite true. Catholics believe in transubstantiation, meaning that once the priest makes the consecration, that bread and wine is the literal body and blood of Christ (though has the physical appearance of bread and wine). I even go every Wednesday to our church on campus, where we have an adoration of the consecrated host. When the brother takes it out of the tabernacle, we all kneel down on the floor, just as we would if Christ himself came into the room, for indeed, that is what is happening.

HOWEVER, all Protestants do not believe as you do. The Lutherans believe in consubstantiation, which (if I remember correctly) means they believe also that it is the true body and blood of Christ, but only after you take it into your body. Of course, since Catholics believe a validly ordained priest is needed to consecrate, we don't believe that that works for them.

Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert in theology, but I've been worshipping the Lord for almost 40 years now and I've never heard of that before. I'm not Catholic and I'm not Lutheran, so I can't speak for what they believe, and I'm not going to knock it either, but it's sure news to me!

Originally posted by garyah99:

Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert in theology, but I've been worshipping the Lord for almost 40 years now and I've never heard of that before. I'm not Catholic and I'm not Lutheran, so I can't speak for what they believe, and I'm not going to knock it either, but it's sure news to me!

Well, it's not really that surprising, is it? Lutherans came directly from Catholics, more or less. The services are very, very similar as well.

Guest Redwing

WRONG they aren't. I've been to both.

Where in the Bible does "validly ordained priest" come from? (I know, I know, the sacred tradition arrrggghhhh...)

------------------

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.

At last we will have revenge.

Archived