Home

Opera for the Nintendo DS

Lynk Former

It's official Opera is heading for the DS:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/15/ds-web-browser-and-tv-tuner-announced/

http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3341

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

http://nintendonow.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=4&m_articles_articleid=3441&PHPSESSID=b147e85530f23a60bc9546f6a82fc788

Confirming our original report, the Opera Web browser add-on has been confirmed for DS. In addition to this, the browser will not be firmware. It is also now known that the forthcoming Nintendo DS web browser will fully utilize the properties of the portable device. Web pages on the DS will span both screens of the handheld, with the touch screen functioning for forms of input. The browser will also fully recognize stylus movements associated with the touch screen in order to adjust the viewing angle of the bottom screen.

The Opera software is currently slated to release in Japan during the month of June at the price of 3800 yen, roughly $30, and will include ATOK Kanji conversion software.

operads.jpg

Yes I am aware that the PSP has already done this, but not officially and without any real support.

Cool news. As it is an official deal with nintendo then i guess they might not do it on the PSP as well.

Releasing it on a DS cart seems a bit of a weird move to me though.. means you need to keep swaping carts if you want to play games/browse web. Would possibly have worked better as a firmware upgrade, or maybe as some form of mini-gba pack that could be kept in the bottom slot.

(i'm still a little bummed that the new DS lite won't hold GBA carts properly.. )

The digital TV tuner sounds cool as well, though that might be Japan only. Though a DVB or whatever format the US uses wouldn't be too hard i'd think. The recently announced plans for free wireless demo/video downloads from stores sound cool too.

They are on a roll with the cool DS announcements right now.

Interested to see how the cooking title works! ;)

It makes sense actually, for one thing the DS cart will hold the program but also provide extra flash memory to use for temporary files along with the DSs ram. Plus even if it were in a GBA card or as a firmware update instead, you would still have to reset your DS to access it and then reset your DS to play a game anywayz. Plus Nintendo doesn't release firmware updates for the DS in the first place which kinda cuts that option off entirely.

It won't be that bad though, I mean unless you want to swap your cart out every 10 seconds it's not really gonna bother you ;)

And yeah, I have the DS Rumble Pak that came with Metroid Prime Pinball so I'm kinda dissapointed with the GBA carts sticking out too. But *shrugs* eh, what can ya do, I'll be getting my DS lite when it comes out XD

Actually, on the DS, or even the PSP i'd rather have opera. They are well known for having by far the best "mini-browser" functionality - for use on palms and mobile phones. Plus their browser is more stable, uses less memory and already has integrated mouse gestures (so will work well with the DS stylus).

Now opera have dumped the ads, added bittorrent, and stopped pretending to be IE their browser is actually better than firefox - with one major exception. No extensions. But then on a handheld the extensions factor would be unlikely to be a factor.

On a more positive note the Opera Browser is definitely on its way – albeit at some unspecified time in the future and at a price to be confirmed etc. We do know that the browser will be a two-part package. A regular DS card will house the browser component and an additional GameBoy cart will act as extra RAM, enabling users to view more memory-intensive pages on or offline (until the DS power is turned off, of course). The DS’ lower touch screen will act as the web interface. The browser will allow full and high-speed wireless access to the wonderful and frightening world of the web, but there’ll be a parental password lock system built in to prevent little Johnny viewing the wrong sort of stuff or, indeed, accessing the browser at all!

Whoa. That sounds like a weird setup. :(

- I hope that if they are releasing DS only paks that use the GBA port they will make a mini version that fits the DS lite (with an extension for the DS).

- I hope this memory expansion pak will be usable for other things. It woud suck if every utility required carrying two paks and trying to fit them in the correct combination.

- They should make a standard mini-gba memory pak for the DS that you can keep in place all the time, unless you need to play a gba game. And then they could use if for all sorts of things.. file storage, saving histories/bookmarks, even music/video files.

- The memory pak really needs to have soild state memory (like a usb stick) so you don't loose all your settings when you turn it off.

*wonders how opera browser will handle media downloads/playback* :D

Once i get my DS lite i am sooo geting the kanji dictionary and japan-english translator. Might help with my skoshi nihongo.

...But then on a handheld the extensions factor would be unlikely to be a factor...

On the contrary, if there were a way to download extensions of handheld browsers, they would be a massive hit. That's 'coz extensions let you do all kinds of stuff the devs didn't even think of. Not only does this break the limits of creativity, it will make the browsers and in turn, the handhelds more popular. Standard Handheld Browsers are rather limited, but with extensions on them, all sorts of things are possible.

At the moment we don't know what Nintendo has planned for the DS in the future in terms of utilities. But it seems to me Nintendo could use the Play-yan device to act as expansion memory as well. Just get a 1GB SD card in there and you'll be able to store plenty of stuff...

I love how Nintendo and Opera has just provided DS gamers with direct easy access to nintendowifi.com right on their DS lol

This is great f***in news.

Now they just need to announce when it will come out stateside, becuase I would go buy it and a wirless router the day it came out.

Imagine, surfing the forums on the DS...

Anybody else jealous of the damn Japs for this? They get all the badass stuff first.

They're getting Tetris DS, which the day it comes out stateside my mom will buy, and The new super mario bros, which I will steal the day it comes out stateside because I'm broke, and they also get a Dynasty Warriors game, which I'll also steal because of no money.

Then again, maybe by the time they release these stateside I'll have a job, but then again, metors crash into the world to keep me from getting things -_-

EDIT: Theres a neat little 3D movie/model of the DS Lite Here

There are rumours that we won't have to wait as log as usual for the DS lite and opera. Nintendo UK announced opera and the tv adapter later the same day... so hopefully that means it won't take too long to appear here.

All i'm worried about is that with the tv adapter sticking out the top and the GBA cart (play yan or memory) sticking out the bottom the thing is going to be very bulky and fragile. ;)

Mini-gba paks are essential imho... otherwise they undo all the good work they've done with the design and portability of the DS lite.

Yeah, well that's good for DS, but you just wait till they get Firefox for PSP. :p

i hope they do that, but a part of me says they won't. yet, you can get a browser for it, if you get like wipeout pure, since it uses the internet to keep the game updated, you can hack into it and "surf" the net...i think.

that just made me want the DS...

Hey toms, look, your wish came true!

dslitecarts.jpg

Two sizes for the expansion cart :D

nin244zs.jpg

Also, this is the main reason why anyone would want the DS lite, superior screen.

nin402oo.jpg

Opera DS at work

7340.jpg

Bigger more comfortable stylus for the DS lite.

7341.jpg

TV Tuner in action

7324.jpg

Sexy

dslitethin.jpg

Another comparison shot

And now another question has to be asked... will there be a Opera Revolution? Rumour suggests, yes.

Ah, new Metroid Prime Hunters footage and it looks so damn kickass!

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2006/02/15/new-metroid-prime-footage/

x.x Man I'm all over the place here, so much info has just come out and I haven't had the time to go through it all.

Hey toms, look, your wish came true!

Sweet! All of it!

:D :D :D

I am SO getting one. Just have to decide whether to order one from japan, or wait till they come out here.

Opera Revolution would be cool.. you'd be like tom cruise in Minority report - waving your arm around to control the information. Maybe i'll hook my revolution up to projector to complete the effect.

Archived