Home

Abortion (newer thread)

abcd1234

I would please ask you not to call my posts bull****. I used a small degree of logic in my post and cant say I ever saw anything to refute it except that my post was BS

Not only is that an absurd statement, but we're all a little dumber for having read that.

If he does not know when its a human what gives him the right to kill it? as I said he needs to answer the timeline question before he can just assume things.

Abortion is a consequence, and it has it's own negative consequences.

True enough. But I thinkt here there are more negative consequences for the fetus.

And yet, here we are.

I was talking about taking away someone rights. I dont know what you were talking about.

The fact that there are already more children in adoption facilities than can be adopted out, in any realistic sense, means that statement is a bunch of bull****.

And that's just adoption facilities in America, I won't even touch on Africa.

Yes adoption facilities are full. But there are tons of goverment programs that support people in trouble (WIC for example) and thats only for single mothers. Say they had a husband?

They also have everything needed to grow up into a chimpanzee, but I don't see you fighting to protect our simian brothers.

This statement is just not true. They have human DNA and genes. Thats what has made it where no one has ever had a baby chimpanzee before. and the reason I am not fight to protect "our simian brothers" is because they are animals. their worth in my eyes is much less than any human. but its off topic to talk about the differences between humans and animals... :rolleyes:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At early stages, there's no significant difference between a human fetus and a chimp fetus, it's only upon later developement that they show in real difference.

Yes adoption facilities are full. But there are tons of goverment programs that support people in trouble (WIC for example) and thats only for single mothers. Say they had a husband?

So we can't take care of the children that are already born, let's give more children crappy lives. Sounds like a brilliant idea.

You know why today's society sucks?

Because it can't contain itself.

At early stages, there's no significant difference between a human fetus and a chimp fetus, it's only upon later developement that they show in real difference.

Good point, cept not. Yes they are both just a cluster of cells at that stage but the chimpanzee has chimp DNA and genes. This is something that makes the fetus human. Yes those cells could grow into anything but only you mess with them. Leave them to grow like normal and hey presto. A Human baby.

So we can't take care of the children that are already born, let's give more children crappy lives. Sounds like a brilliant idea.

You know why today's society sucks?

Because it can't contain itself.

Oh god! Please not the "they will have bad lives" arguement again. I could have had a bad life too (not saying mine is great or anything...) but it would have been because of choices I made that would have made me have a bad life. Even people growing up in the poorest ghetto in town can aspire to great things. This is a proven fact, so lets not say that it would be better to kill them then risk them having a bad life. otherwise we would just have to start killing everyone or we might risk them having a bad life.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, using the "oh there's a right to life in the Constitution" argument shows a clear misunderstanding on that particular phrase from the Constitution. The "life, liberty, and persuit of happiness" was borrowed from John Locke, who had it originally as "life, liberty, and property." This originated from the time of the Enlightenment, when thinkers started questioning if the king should really be able to come and drag you into the street and kill you, throw you in prison without trial, and take your **** from you.

By no means did "right to life" imply that you can't end a life in a case where it is justified, just as we do today.

Good point, cept not. Yes they are both just a cluster of cells at that stage but the chimpanzee has chimp DNA and genes. This is something that makes the fetus human. Yes those cells could grow into anything but only you mess with them. Leave them to grow like normal and hey presto. A Human baby.

No, at early stages in developement, there is no significant difference. Humans and chimps share the same exact DNA except for a 2% difference, which doesn't make itself apparent until later stages in developement in the womb. Before that, they're by all means, the same thing.

Oh god! Please not the "they will have bad lives" arguement again. I could have had a bad life too (not saying mine is great or anything...) but it would have been because of choices I made that would have made me have a bad life. Even people growing up in the poorest ghetto in town can aspire to great things. This is a proven fact, so lets not say that it would be better to kill them then risk them having a bad life. otherwise we would just have to start killing everyone or we might risk them having a bad life.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm arguing your point that we have ways to take care of them. Which is bull****.

By no means did "right to life" imply that you can't end a life in a case where it is justified, just as we do today.

Please explain how its is justified to kill a innocent person.

No, at early stages in developement, there is no significant difference. Humans and chimps share the same exact DNA except for a 2% difference, which doesn't make itself apparent until later stages in developement in the womb. Before that, they're by all means, the same thing.

This is still a flawed argument. We are superior to chimpanzees even if they are very like to us, so you cannot compare the two. Also the only way this argument would hold water is if someone had a chimpanzee baby, proving that there is no difference in-between the species. For all intents and purposes this argument has no bearing because this has never happened, and will never happen in the natural scheme of things.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, using the "oh there's a right to life in the Constitution" argument shows a clear misunderstanding on that particular phrase from the Constitution. The "life, liberty, and persuit of happiness" was borrowed from John Locke, who had it originally as "life, liberty, and property."

The words: "... liberty, and pursuit of happiness..." implies a certain amount of privacy and freedom of choice to me.

It can be argued that while the word "privacy" never appears in the text, and the concept isn't spelled out in detail, was it something that the founders left out on purpose, or did they feel it was "self evident" in the tone of the text.

This was an age, after all, where the kinds of things we take for granted would be unfathomable to the people that wrote that document.

Isn't it possible that the opposite is true, as well? That they felt the concept of "privacy" didn't need to be spelled out in an age where, for many, it might be a several-hour horse ride to even talk to your nearest neighbor?

Just a quick note to throw out there, the phrase "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is actually from Jefferson's Declaration of Independance, not the US Constitution. It's supposedly based on John Locke's "Life, liberty and property."

Some use this to argue that the DOI is just a statement of philosophy, not law. Others take it to be that this is how the laws ought to be written Edit: (or interpreted), with this philosophy in mind (rather than saying "that's nice, but who cares").

It also comes down to what the role of the Constitution is. Is it a "living document" that must be changed based on the majority view of morality and governance at any given time in history, relying on the spirit of the times? Is it a sacrosanct piece of wisdom that will save us from ourselves? (and the desire to lapse into apathy and a comfortable dictatorship or the popular anarchy of mob rule?) It's an interesting aspect of the discussion anyway...

By no means did "right to life" imply that you can't end a life in a case where it is justified

This statement here says so. If I am reading it correct you are saying that if it is justified you can end a life (We have been talking about abortion in this thread so I was guessing that you were refering to abortion) I only asked when is it justified? And if this is not what you mean I would ask you to explain.

@Kurgan

Actully your right and I should know this... I guess sometimes it helps if I think before I speak. ty for pointing out this error on my part.

But the fact still stand whether or not I misquoted about the Right to Life.

Though it may have been written with some king chopping off your head in mind it still applies to more than one thing. And is someones privacy more important than another persons life? If I killed someone would it be okay as long as I did it in my own home where no one could see me? And about "let people do whatever they want with their bodies" Do we keep suicidal people under watch? (if we catch them) as SD pointed out, dont we have laws against doing drugs? What about restrictions against harming other people. Here in Austin they have smoking bans. No where is it allowed to drink and drive, or DWI.These are all laws that keep us from harming other people. So why shouldent there be a law against aborting unborn children. The government has been in the job of protecting us from ourselves and each other form years, why should we stop now when so many lives are at stake?

This statement here says so. If I am reading it correct you are saying that if it is justified you can end a life (We have been talking about abortion in this thread so I was guessing that you were refering to abortion) I only asked when is it justified? And if this is not what you mean I would ask you to explain.

Typically I'm not used to thinking for other people who are unable to do so. But I'll make an exception for this case.

It is justified to end lives under certain conditions. These may include the following:

- Someone points a gun at a police officer. It is justified for the cop to kill the person with the gun.

- Someone is convicted of murder and is given the death penalty. It is justified for the person to be killed (although I don't support the death penalty, we have it in America as of now).

- Someone is brain-dead. It is justified to take the brain-dead person off life-support.

- If you consider a fetus to be alive, then abortion is justified under certain circumstances.

- If you consider a fetus to be alive, then abortion is justified under certain circumstances.

I cut out the first 4 points you stated because they have no bearing on this thread and I dont really care what you think about them as of now.

Next time dont make open ended comments and you wont have that probelm. :dozey:

Next time dont make open ended comments and you wont have that probelm. :dozey:

I'd suggest you follow your own advice. If I remember correctly, you were the one who brought up the whole "right to life" thing, which I responded to with my "open-ended comments."

@ Kurgan:

Thanks for the correction/ clarification.

That aspect of U.S. history and law is something I really should know better. It was never my strongest subject in school, and I should try to fix that.

Does anyone else see the "Considering Abortion?" ads by Google on the right side of the screen? --->

Or is it just me?

I just noticed them... but then I'm using I.E. instead of Firefox for this post, and I don't have an Adblock function.

How very apropos. :dozey:

It's because of your failure to point out when they become a 'human' that it comes back too.

Firstly, there is no such point. Contrary to your implicit assumption, 'humanness' is not a binary operator. During foetal development, the foetus is partially human. I could provide you with a list of indicators of development which would - collectively - make the foetus 'human'. But that does not adress the fundamental problem with your fallacious assumption. To illustrate the point, I will make a truncated list:

To be considered 'fully human', an organism must 1) Belong to the species H.S. Sapiens 2) Be diploid 3) Possess myelinated nerves 4) Possess the brain centres for memory and cognitive action. This is a deliberately truncated list. In fact, the list can never be 'complete' in any meaningful sense of the word. But it will serve to make the point.

The point is that a 'full human' has all these things. But does that mean that a brain-dead person (which does not fulfill these criteria) is morally equivalent to a pig? I would say no. Clearly there are ethical considerations involved in harvesting the still-beating heart of someone in a respirator, that would simply not be worth considering if we were talking about a pig.

Does that mean that we should cut #4 out of the list? Well, that would make - say - heart transplants ethically impossible according to the anti-choice logic. That is certainly one political position. I for one find it immoral and inhumane.

But suppose we do so. That would move the barrier for when terminating the pregnancy would be acceptable - again according to fundie logic - back to the time around which the foetus develops myelinated nerves. Does that mean that a blastocyst is the moral equivalent of a cancer tumor? I would argue that it does not. Removing a blastocyst requires compelling reasons. Not removing a cancer tumor requires compelling reasons. So clearly the two are not equivalent.

Does that mean that we should cut #3 out of the list? Well, we could do so. But that would make a cancer tumor a living human being, ethically speaking. That is certainly one political position. I for one do not support it.

But suppose we accept it for the sake of the argument. Now we're down to the set that anti-choice fundies like to use. But why stop there? If we continue to employ the binary 'human' XOR 'non-human' logic, then this set of criteria would give the result that an unfertilised egg is the moral equivalent of a pig.

In fact, it could well be argued that the pig is actually more worthy of ethical protection than the unfertilised egg, since it is actually diploid, and - evolutionarily speaking - almost human.

Clearly, this is absurd. I doubt that anyone here would challenge the ethics of buying and selling pigs. I equally doubt that anyone here would argue that it is completely unproblematic to buy and sell unfertilised human eggs.

So, by the binary logic employed by the anti-choice fundies, unfertilised eggs should be considered full human beings, with all the protections and safeguards that apply to other humans. Already we have reached absurdity, but why stop there?

A chimpanzee is 99.6 % human. Clearly it is more human than not, so if we employ binary logic, it should be considered 'fully human', should it not? Or should it be considered 'fully ape'? Do a difference of .4 % make it ethical to do the same thing to laboratory apes that we do to laboratory rats?

I would say no. There are things that I would have no qualms subjecting rodents to (deliberately engineering their genes to cause them to develop cancer, for instance), that I would quarrel with doing to apes.

Clearly, there is a smooth progression from 'completely non-human' to 'fully human'. And the ethical complications associated with certain practices (such as using the specimens as test subjects in laboratory experiments) increases with the degree of 'humanness'.

So you very well may be killing a human being.

Yes. I accept that risk. You accept that risk. Society as a whole accepts that risk. Every day and on a multitude of issues. And if you claim otherwise, then you are either lying or criminally ignorant.

Every traffic accident could - hypothetically - have been avoided, had we been willing to pay enough for transportation security. Indeed, we could spend our entire GDP on transportation security, and there would never have to be another traffic accident. Or we could ban transportation altogether, in which case we would never need to risk killing a human being.

In fact, by contributing to the traffic volume on your local highway, you may very well be killing a human being. Such risks are judged 'acceptable' when considering infrastructure. Why should they be less acceptable when discussing medicine?

Every war could - hypothetically - be avoided, by rolling over and accepting the demands of your enemies. At times, it is advisible to bluff in diplomatic manouvers. Sometimes, your bluff is called. Sometimes, having your bluff called will lead you to war. Thus, with every diplomatic bluff, there is an associated risk of needless war and death. We could just accept every trade and policy concession that China demands and never need risk a war with China. By refusing to grant some of those concessions, we court the risk (however small) of a world wide war.

In fact, by supporting a government that demands that China obey basic human rights, I am risking human lives.

Suppose it was possible to eliminate terrorism at the cost of surrendering every single civil liberty we have, and accepting the all-encompassing police state. I would quarrel with that assumption, but let's consider it for the sake of the argument.

In such a world, not adopting GESTAPO methods translates directly into an increased risk of successful terrorist attacks. Successful terrorist attacks cost human lives. So, in such a world, refusing to arbitrarily empower the police would be to risk human lives.

Why is lowering the cost of building - say - a levee at the expense of risking the life of a human being more acceptable than lowering the discomfort of a human at the expense of risking the life of a human being?

Why is protecting the sovereignty of your country at the expense of risking the life of a human being more acceptable than lowering the discomfort of a human at the expense of risking the life of a human being? (I think I know the answer to that question: A war with China would take place mainly in far away countries, and most of the dead people wouldn't be white anglo-saxon protestants...)

Why is protecting - say - the privacy of the mail at the expense of risking the life of a human being more acceptable than lowering the discomfort of a human being at the expense of risking the life of a human being?

Since it is my opinion that we should try to protect all human life

You are either lying or deluding yourself. To paraphrase something Skin said in a similiar situation: When you scan and post your membership card for Amnesty International, Medecins Sans Frontieres, The International Red Cross/Red Cresent, and WaterPartners, then I might take that line seriously.

The point is that you cant slap a scientific principle on everything. Somethings you just must look at with logical perspective.

This is going off topic a little, but I feel that I have to comment on that line, since it is so breathtakingly stupid that I feel dumber just for reading it.

You base your entire argument on inconsistent a priori assumptions and pure appeals to emotion. And then you berate me for being illogical???

Further, you accuse me of using science instead of logic??? You will want to brush up on what logic is and what is manifestly is not.

Logic is the tool used to draw consistent and - well - logical conclusions from a set of premises. You seem to labor under the delusion that you can support your premises with logic. You can not.

You can support your premises with science (which you, for some reason that I can't quite fathom, seem to think is illogical and perverse). You can support your assumptions with an ethical code - something both you and I do. The two are not mutually exclusive, and indeed when making a genuine political decision, both are required.

One thing you manifestly can not use to support your assumptions, however, is logic. That's called either begging the question, or infinite regression.

As an aside, I do not anywhere quarrel with your logic, and I don't see you challenging mine, either. What I do quarrel with is your assumptions.

I would argue that the first assumption is stupid. In fact, there is no discontinuities during pregnancy that can justify such an assumption. Thus, if an ethical discontinuity is assumed where there is no biological counterpart, it will necessarily be an arbitrary distinction that can - in principle - be placed anywhere and everywhere. And no matter where it is placed, it will yield unacceptable conclusions.

I am sorry if I am misquoting you but I believe it is you who are assuming this.

I manifestly do not. You, however, do. You place the line at conception, but that is a purely arbitrary distinction. In fact there is no discontinuity there that is more fundamental than - say - the development of myelinated nerves, or the first breath taken with an independent respiratory system.

Or take the principle that society shall never condone arbitrary killing - the very principle invoked by the anti-choice Taliban. This principle is unsustainable.

I will pretend to know what you are talking about.

Fine. Next time I am in a bad mood I will just run out into the street and go postal. [/sarcastic]

It is evident to me that you are poor at pretending to understand what I'm talking about.

It is amusing to see how you have learned exactly nothing during this discussion. You are still reading everything into absolute terms. The negation of the statement 'never kill arbitrarily' is not 'always kill arbitrarily.'

You would do well to remember the negation relations:

Not(ForAll X) = Exists(Not X) =|= ForAll(Not X)

Not(Exists X) = ForAll(Not X) =|= Exists(Not X)

For someone who claims to

look at [things] with [a] logical perspective
you seem rather underequipped in the logic department.

For socitity to exist it must have a value system.

Ignoratio Elenchi.

In war - for instance - we must be willing to accept the killing of innocents.

That innocents will be killed. Not that we are just going to start killing them.

:wazup:

Is there a point here that I'm missing, or have you just said that risking the deaths of innocent people at the business end of a cruise missile is somehow less problematic than the death of foetuses at the termination of a pregnancy?

In medicine, we must be willing to accept the fact that some patients are going to die who could have been saved, had we spent sufficient resources on their treatment. But had we done that, those same resources could not have been spent on - say - providing clean drinking water to our citizens, or finding ways around antibiotics resistance in bacteria.

Incomparable analogy

How? As I believe Dravis said previously: 'You're wrong' is not a terribly enlightening reply.

This is rediculous. Either come up with something real, like statistics, that supports your supposition or be ignored.
YOU are being ridiculous here. Go take a biology class and then return to this debate, so we don't have to spoon-feed you every single scientific argument we bring into play. If you don't want to learn biology, that's fine, but don't pretend that you can just ignore the science because you don't like it. Statistics are not the only form of evidence that exists, and most statistics aren't conclusive anyways because it's so easy to manipulate numbers to "prove" your point.

I also am curious, all you anti-choicers out there, what you think of the global and environmental impacts that would be caused if you succeeded in ending abortion forever. We already reproduce and expand at an unhealthy rate for a species, do you not feel any guilt at the prospect of increasing that rate, and potentially destroying our planet even sooner than we normally would have?

Or is the survival of a single, unaware, unthinking being more important than the survival of our species?

So you would chose practicality over principle? Just a yes or no will work.

Have you stopped beating your girlfriend?

'A yes or no' manifestly will not work.

Yes, there are some situations in which practical considerations will have to trumph some principle or another. If for no other reason, because two principles might conflict.

I have a principle saying that corruption is absolutely unacceptable. I heartily support the Democratic Party in the US, knowing full well that they are corrupt. This is a concession of practicality to principle, since the practical alternative is the Bush Party, which is not only infinitely more corrupt, but also dangerously unhinged lunatics with an autoritarian agenda. So I support the practical alternative, as opposed to the principled alternative, which would be to support neither.

If the woman gets pregnant it is her and her partners fault for not having responsible sex. In our constitution there is no right to practice your sexuality,

In my world, laws should be based on ethics, not the other way about... Besides, I could hardly care less what your constitution says, since I'm not planning on migrating to America (although I might take a year or two there before taking my Masters).

If people want to have sex, more power to them. BUT that does not give them the right to take away someone elses rights.

Ah, but it does. No bill of rights can be completely consistent. Thus, every time you invoke your right to do something, you are limiting other people's rights. When you invoke the right to not be harressed on the street, you limit other people's right to walk anywhere they please, since walking 2 cm behind you, thus stepping on your feet with every step, is clearly harressment.

Just as clearly, terminating a pregnancy involves a tradeoff between the rights of the mother to manage her own body, and the protection due a partly human foetus.

Unlike your self-evident rights to be able to do whatever you want to without facing any consequences.

Ah, but here we arrive at the underlying motivation: 'Sex is BAD. BAD woman for having sex. BAD woman needs to be punished.

Is it really that simple? I'm beginning to think it is. This issue is not about evaluating the ethical complications associated with terminating a pregnancy against the woman's legitimate interests. It's not about making a legitimate political decision as to where to draw the line. It's about the fanatical Reich-wing taboo against sex. It's the bad, old, puritan 'sex must have KONSEKVENKES!!!' line.

It is, in other words, simply an issue of punishing sex.

I encourage you to read the excellent book 1984. Orwell's analysis of the political agenda inheirent in criminalising sex is interesting reading.

Of course, your school library probably doesn't have this hallmark piece of 20th century litterature, because it contains sexually explicit scenes. A bottle of beer says that your school library doesn't have The Satanic Verses either, because it says 'satanic' on the cover (or, if your school is run by the other kind of PC morons, then they wouldn't have it because it blasphemes against a major religion, and we must all be oh so tolerant of other people's moronic bigotries...).

Again, you fail to tell us what you think makes someone human!

Talk about not getting the point... I thought I'd made it perfectly clear that THERE IS NO SUCH SET OF CRITERIA.

Is it not enough to be conceived by two humans, to have the DNA, genes, cells and be in your mothers womb? AND the fact that every minute you are becoming more able to reach your potential, that being a fully grown active member of society.

No. None of those conditions are sufficient. Taken as a set, they are not sufficient. I would even argue that apart from the DNA and cells, they are not even necessary.

But that entire exercise is missing the point. Even if those conditions were necessary and sufficient - either alone or taken as a set, you still have to prove that it is unethical to kill the human in question in this case, when you find it perfectly ethical to kill - through the direct actions of your government and its policies - civilians in Fallujah, and employ chemical weapons that cause unspeakable agony and irrepairable (and unnecessary) bodily harm against insurgents in Baghdad.

That I happen to agree with some of these killings (but absolutely not with the employment of chemical weapons) does not negate the fact that the onus remains upon you to provide a convincing reason why those deaths are more ethical and defencible than the killing of a foetus.

Snuffing out that 'Embryo' 'Fetus' 'baby' ´'Human', is denying them their right to life. And that is something no one has power to do.

A fundamentally hypocritical position. Downsizing the US foreign aid program is denying millions - nay, billions - of people their right to life, by taking away money that could have been spent on providing clean, free drinking water.

In some prehistoric societies, suicide and infanticide were necessary as a means of controlling the size of the population

This has no bearing. There is nothing preventing us from taking care of these children if they are born. There are a wealth of options our there that would let mothers support their child.

You are missing the point. Again. Why am I not surprised?

Your claim is that it is never, ever, under any circumstance justifiable to terminate a pregnancy. You said, just a few lines above this quote, that the level of technology in a society has not bearing on this.

I proved that your premise leads to an absurd conclusion: If terminating a pregnancy is never, ever, under any circumstance justifiable, then the utter destruction of a society is a possible - and indeed acceptable - consequence of following your ethical code.

This is not an issue of whether a modern society can or can not support an unwanted child. You, not I, decided to cast this debate in absolute terms. I merely demonstrated the consequences of your explicitly stated premise.

If you wish to revise your premise, by all means, feel free to do so. But expect me to go through your reasoning once again and show you (and - more importantly - all the lurkers here) where such a change of premise would demolish the support for your conclusion.

There remains two distinct political decisions: How much relative weight should be given to the foetus, the mother, and to the interests of society as a whole? And how great a risk of overstepping the boundries of what we consider ethical are we willing - as a society - to take?

You can't make that judgment unless you know when a fetus is human.

You have obviously understood nothing at all. I can - indeed I must make that judgement based on knowledge of how much human the average foetus is at any given time during pregnancy. The 'humanness' as a function of time curve is derived from compairing the essential features of a full human with the features of the average foetus at different times of gestation, and applying a weight factor to each feature. Those weight factors are inheirently subjective and political.

You apply a dominant weight factor to the characteristics 'diploid' 'human genes' and 'alive'. I apply moderate weight factors to the characteristics 'myelinated nerves', 'active neurons', 'size of neural net', 'independence from host organism', and a couple of others. You obtain a heaviside function, I get something that looks more like a Fermat-Dirac function.

I believe that since they contain everything they need to grow into what you call a human there is no reason to kill them

To say that there is no reason to kill them is to display a stunning level of ignorance and hypocricy. Clearly, the reasons to kill them are equally valid and present whether 'they' are human foetuses or pig foetuses. It is the reasons to not kill them that are different.

Until you can clarify when it is unacceptable to abort them,

I have no hard-and-fast number for you, since the date at which the procedure is unacceptable is subject to modification depending on the recipient's social, financial, mental, and physical situation. But if I were a female living under the conditions that I do today, and I got pregnant, I would find it wholly acceptable at least until the end of the first trimester. Probably longer than that. I think I would definitely go through with the pregnancy (barring untowards events) if it had reached the third trimester. In between that, your guess is as good as mine.

But frankly, setting an exact date seems like an obscene exercise. Sort of like picking out which Iraqi gets to pick up the unexploded shell...

If we frame the question a little differently; when would I argue that someone living under my current conditions should definitely not be allowed to have an abortion, I'd say beginning of third trimester, plus or minus a week or two...

If I am wrong no humans will have died. If you are wrong that means that we have murdered thousands of people.

Wrong. The risk to the life of the mother is more than twice as high when giving birth as it is when terminating the pregnancy before birth. So claiming that 'no human will die' because of a prohibition on abortions is a Flat. Out. Lie.

[M]ost statistics aren't conclusive anyways because it's so easy to manipulate numbers to "prove" your point.

Normally, I'd get sufficiently riled up over this to post a long reply. Today, I'll merely reiterate that it is never easy to manipulate statistics, short of downright forging the input.

It is always possible to tell when someone tries to pass off bogus numbers, if only one has the mathematical litteracy equivalent to the textual litteracy we expect from ten-year-olds.

In this single case of demanding statistical proof of a proposed 'concensus', Dravis actually has a point (count your blessings, this doesn't happen every day...). So quit whining, and put up or shut up, so we can get on to the relelvant points.

I typed that in a rush, I did not mean it was easy to make the numbers mean different things.

It IS, however, not too difficult to present the numbers in such a way as to be entirely misleading. While someone who understand statistics and numbers will be able to see through your farce, the general layman will not.

It seems to me that any material that can get itself published in a biology textbook and in several prominent places that isn't wholly accepted by the main scientific community would not last long, as peer review is an extremely important part of any science.

I don't have time to go over all the posts that I've missed in my day of absence, but I can say a few things.

This is horrid. If the woman gets pregnant it is her and her partners fault for not having responsible sex.

That's not true, Joe. There are contraceptives for women as well as men. It's just easier or more convenient for a guy to get a condom than it is for a woman to be fitted for a contraceptive or to get a prescription for birth control. Because of this most people treat it like the guy's fault for 'getting someone pregnant'. It's double sided. Takes two to tango as they say. ;)

The first assumption is that it is possible to point to a stage in foetal development where the foetus suddenly and magically ceases to be a lump of chemicals and becomes a full human. In other words, there is an implicit assumption that there is a point at which contraception goes from completely unproblematic to completely unacceptable.

Personally, I beleive that a fetus is human at the time of conception. Since others were saying that a fetus was not in fact human, I wanted to know when they believed humanity took place. It was a valid question, but I see that there is really no easy answer from your perspective.

In this case, the tradeoff is between the woman's self-evident right to practice her sexuality as she wishes, the woman's equally self-evident right to not be hampered unduely in her life by the exercise of said right, and the legitimate need of society to avoid using resources on caring for an unwanted child on the one hand, and the ethical problems associated with terminating a pregnancy on the other hand.

You know what? If someone is going to live in a way that leaves them at risk of getting pregnant, then they should be prepared for the consequences, ie. a child.

*Sigh* Shadow Templar I hate to tell you but much of what you posted has been covered in this thread already.

I am so sick of going back and forth, edlib put it nicely earlier when he said that no one is going to change someone else's mind here. We are looking at it from two different worlds almost.

In reading your post I saw that some of the stuff you covered was your problem for my perspective. I respect that there are differences cause I dont really care what your view point is anymore than you do mine I get the feeling. I think I have had enough though.

I just felt I needed to post something as to why I was dropping it. Its not cause I think your right though ;)

Good luck to everyone that decides to stay and play. :)

EDIT. Also its freaking spring break. I wont be around to have such happy wonderful talks with you guys. :xp:

Later Joe. Come back some time to the Senate... we need some more people around here to debate. :)

You know what? If someone is going to live in a way that leaves them at risk of getting pregnant, then they should be prepared for the consequences, ie. a child.

Again this seems to be another case that people should be punished for having sex. Even if people should be punished, the child shouldn't be punished as well.

Imagine being a child to a single mother who doesn't want you, can't afford you, can't support you, can't raise you, can't love you. Or being bounced in and out of foster homes without any friends or family. Why should you grow up paying for the mistakes your parents made?

I say that the punishment to the parents should be that they have to live with the knowledge for the rest of their lives that they had to resort to aborting the pregnancy.

@Joe:

I understand how you feel.

It's an ugly, divisive issue.

One that sometimes seems worse for me, since I can see very valid points on both sides, and I often find myself straddling the fence. (That's the curse and price to be paid for even attempting to be politically moderate in this day and age of extremism, I guess.)

One that I hope can someday be resolved in a way that neither side feels that it has ended up on the wrong side of a bad compromise... but the nature of the issue is one that makes me doubt that will ever happen.

Frankly, at this point, there's a part of me that's so sick of hearing and thinking about it that I almost don't care how it gets resolved... Just as long as we can get it off the national plate. Then back on to a host of other issues that also really matter, that have been virtually sidelined this whole time and that really deserve more public attention.

But regardless of how it's resolved, someone will have an issue with it, and more movements will be started to overturn what ever ruling is finally handed down, no matter what it is.

I don't think it's an issue that will ever truly go away... not as long as we still have a democracy where people can express their minds, and are free to try to enact policy change, that is.

Well said. The easiest, most efficient method of birth control is to keep your pants zipped up. Anything less means taking a risk. Birth control can minimize that risk, but the fact that a pregnancy is 'unplanned' is not an excuse to kill a child. And if someone is going to take the risk, they need to be prepared to deal with the consequences, i.e. give up the next 18 years of their life to raise their child. That should be the sex education curriculum we're teaching in schools.

I have found it mildly amusing (and somewhat disgusting) to read the attempts at writing off a developing human as something that is the rough equivalent of a tumor. From a purely logical perspective, that position doesn't make any sense at all: it's extremely high risk, extremely little reward. If you're right, no big deal - women are just removing an unwanted tumor from their body. If you're wrong, over 47 million murders have taken place.

Hopefully that puts a little perspective on the issue.

**EDIT: this thread moves fast!**

Imagine being a child to a single mother who doesn't want you, can't afford you, can't support you, can't raise you, can't love you. Or being bounced in and out of foster homes without any friends or family. Why should you grow up paying for the mistakes your parents made?

I've got a question for you: would you rather be raised in a single-parent family in which conditions are less than nominal (or even really, really bad), or be killed before you even had a chance to experience life? I'm not talking the hypothetical 'someone.' I'm talking you. Would you rather have a chance, or die before you were even born?

I've got a question for you: would you rather be raised in a single-parent family in which conditions are less than nominal (or even really, really bad), or be killed before you even had a chance to experience life? I'm not talking the hypothetical 'someone.' I'm talking you. Would you rather have a chance, or die before you were even born?

Death, but that's just me. Though I don't project that onto others and nor does it influence my feelings on the matter. I'm actually rather picky in my support of people getting abortions.

Some people I feel should just be beaten after delivering the child, because quite frankly, some of them are complete and utter ass****s, and even thinking about allowing such filth to raise a child would be a far more heinous crime than killing their unborn child and them. If I had it my way, we wouldn't need abortion, but sadly quite often we do. I do not however support it after 2-3 months, if you can't make up your mind by then, then you can just **** off.

Archived