Home

Force Power Suggestions

razorace

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know, personally I would like to see force powers like Push, Pull and Jump be more like they were in DF/MotS. The amount of time you hold your button is what determines the power of it, I just hate the instant, strong push, pushing away droids like Ob1 did in Ep1 is one thing, but pushing or pulling saber wielding force using Jedi and Sith is another thing.

I dont even know if it is possible mainly because I've never seen it done, maybe its just because most people just dont like my ideas :p. I dont see how it would affect balance or realism, having to charge up your push for it to work on better enemies.

Push 1:

Longer time to build up, cant push saber-wielders but you can repel thermal detonators. (Razor, what would it take to enable JO blaster fire pushing again?)

Push 2:

Ability to push away Jedi and Sith if charged for 2-3 seconds, depends.

Wont knock them over. It will knock over anyone wielding a gun, but only if theyre running/jumping. Knocking over gunners only works if you charge it for a bit.

Push 3:

Push 3 like we know it now for running non saber-wielders, saber wielders can only be pushed with a 3 second charged push and only if theyre running.

Charging should be either heard or seen somehow, to warn players of people trying to force whore.

I dont know, personally I would like to see force powers like Push, Pull and Jump be more like they were in DF/MotS. The amount of time you hold your button is what determines the power of it, I just hate the instant, strong push, pushing away droids like Ob1 did in Ep1 is one thing, but pushing or pulling saber wielding force using Jedi and Sith is another thing.

I dont even know if it is possible mainly because I've never seen it done, maybe its just because most people just dont like my ideas :p. I dont see how it would affect balance or realism, having to charge up your push for it to work on better enemies.

Push 1:

Longer time to build up, cant push saber-wielders but you can repel thermal detonators. (Razor, what would it take to enable JO blaster fire pushing again?)

Push 2:

Ability to push away Jedi and Sith if charged for 2-3 seconds, depends.

Wont knock them over. It will knock over anyone wielding a gun, but only if theyre running/jumping. Knocking over gunners only works if you charge it for a bit.

Push 3:

Push 3 like we know it now for running non saber-wielders, saber wielders can only be pushed with a 3 second charged push and only if theyre running.

Charging should be either heard or seen somehow, to warn players of people trying to force whore.

This isn't a bad idea, although I do think there should be times when a saberist is vulnerable to an instant push (like an a heavy bounce with low DP). I also think with a charged push they should be able to lift their opponent off the ground like obi did with grevious.

Btw, Razor. I think I just thought of a way to kill lightning spam in saber combat. At the moment, all you have to do is heavybounce a person and tap lightning to make them fall over (and you only lose like 3 FP to do it). I would suggest making it so that they don't fall over until the lightning..um...er, has lost used at least 15 FP. Maybe make an exception for low DP people.

A person getting lightninged who is just about to attack should also not enter the lightning block pose (and be prohibited from swinging) until after the lightninger are lost about 5 or so DP

I think this would be a hassle to impliment and not feel right. Besides, I think the lightning spam issue isn't a problem anymore with the faster block animation speeds.

Not feel right? The way it use to be, lightning didn't knock people over period, and considering how fast you reach the usage of 10 or 15 FP, it wouldn't look that bad.

The faster animation speeds only help prevent using lightning to force your opponent into a block (sort of, it can still be used), but it doesnt stop the problem of getting cheap knockdowns with lightning when you opponent is in heavy bounce.

I'll probably be waaay off track here, but as far as implementation for this, wouldn't it just be something like this psuedo code wise?:

public lightningFallThing(){

for(int FP = (starting FP); FP >= (starting FP - 10 (or 15); FP--){

(opponent value) = (electricuted opponent value);

}

return (opponent falling backward value);

}

:p

I'm sure none of that makes sense with the way the game code actually is and its obviously not correct C syntex. But I hope thats the general idea. I need practice with loops anyways. LOL!

The faster animation speeds only help prevent using lightning to force your opponent into a block (sort of, it can still be used), but it doesnt stop the problem of getting cheap knockdowns with lightning when you opponent is in heavy bounce.

Well, it's 3 FP for a guarnteed knockdown vs 1 FP for a kick. While you can miss with the kick, you're more likely to be close enough to get a good hit on the other player while they're on the ground.

public lightningFallThing(){

for(int FP = (starting FP); FP >= (starting FP - 10 (or 15); FP--){

(opponent value) = (electricuted opponent value);

}

return (opponent falling backward value);

}

The hard part is storing/updating the starting FP for the attack and not the actual logic check. :)

Well, it's 3 FP for a guarnteed knockdown vs 1 FP for a kick. While you can miss with the kick, you're more likely to be close enough to get a good hit on the other player while they're on the ground.

We'll see. I don't have a problem hitting people on the ground after that attack, personally, but I do have a problem hitting people with a kick because of my stupid ping. This means that other people with bad ping may have the same problem and resort to using lightning this way like I do. Stupid ping!

The hard part is storing/updating the starting FP for the attack and not the actual logic check.

Oh ok. I can't give you a BS equation for that! LOL! But does this mean my logic check was close!!!?? LOL :p

I need to vent some of these ideas going through my head:

Grip 3 counter= If 2 darkside saberists are fighting and one is armed with grip 3, but the other doesnt have Push nor (duhhhh) absorb, he could use lightning to break free from the grip and damage his opponents FP.

Theory behind this: Force is being used on you, you and the guy you're fighting are both force sensitive, he opened up a connection of force with you by using grip right? You "overload his current" by using lightning :D

Also, lightning 3 should be able to be countered by a well-aimed saberthrow, keeping the force user from doing it again for a few seconds.

Why? Well imagine yourself, stretched out arms, frying your enemy with lightning. All of a sudden your enemy throws his saber at you which subsequently hits your fingers/hands, would hurt like a bitch.

One more thing, the falling animation you get when you're pushed is rather dull. There is a much more realistic one out there and I cant say I've seen it in OJP thus far, could be because I rarely use anything other than force jump :p People that've played MB will recognize it as the melee slap falling animation. When you're hit you make a backwards somersault of some sort and you land face down on your belly, I think I've seen this animation in single player so its not something thats MB-specific. I think if we could combine that animation with some vertical lift it would bring some more movie-realism into play. (Think of what Dooku did to Obi wan in Ep2.)

Maybe this is already in the game, but I haven't noticed it yet. :ears1:

grip stuff

Good ideas.

lightning idea

mmm, and when would you do this without getting knockdowned in the first place?

One more thing, the falling animation you get when you're pushed is rather dull.

I'm using the SP system for the knockdowns now so the results are based on that. As a result, the knockdown animations are affected by how much force is put into the impact. To give the somersault impact that you're suggesting, you'd have to get hit REALLY hard. I'll look into it.

I can look up the name of the animation for you, considering you taught me how to use modview why shouldnt I? heh. Give me a sec.

I dont know about getting knocked down, saberthrow while on the floor would be foolish.

Let me ponder this for a moment, I'll edit my post later.

The board is freaking out, I cant edit, and when I try to post it gives me an error message and tells me I should contact the webmaster.

1:

Its : BOTH_DEATHBACKWARD2 , first one.

2:

Maybe if the victim holds his saberthrowing key while on the floor, he could negate the effects of the lightning as long as he would have DP. And he could slowly get up. Now comes an ethical question; would he be forced to throw his saber? :p

I say bring back classic Force Powers from Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith:

Blinding (unless they have seeing on, whites out their display for a time, more white the higher the level, targetted power, long range)

Seeing (the real deal!+map let's you see everyone everwhere, and lights up dark rooms)

Throw (toss world objects at the opponent, targetted power)

Chain Lightning (target opponent, bolts leap from person to person at close range, massive damage)

Far Sight (leave your body and spy around as a floating energy whisp, also useful for slowing your fall to avoid landing damage when timed properly)

Defense (weaker version of Absorb that's "always on" for people who don't want to have to worry about using force powers, since it takes up lots of force points)

Deadly Sight (look at your opponents from long range and they "begin to burn" before your eyes! aim with your body, time based power, like an invisible long range flame thrower)

Destruction (toss a massive ball of flaming dark force energy that does splash damage and physically pumels them if it hits too! can knock world objects around and blast people off cliffs)

Projection (drops a decoy of yourself that stands there and punches.. though probably would be better to have it do random actions or mirror your own actions, but it can't be harmed, people just walk right through it and seeing detects it, can't be destroyed but disappears over time, not affected by outside world)

I say bring back classic Force Powers from Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith:

Blinding (unless they have seeing on, whites out their display for a time, more white the higher the level, targetted power, long range)

Seeing (the real deal!+map let's you see everyone everwhere, and lights up dark rooms)

Throw (toss world objects at the opponent, targetted power)

Chain Lightning (target opponent, bolts leap from person to person at close range, massive damage)

Far Sight (leave your body and spy around as a floating energy whisp, also useful for slowing your fall to avoid landing damage when timed properly)

Defense (weaker version of Absorb that's "always on" for people who don't want to have to worry about using force powers, since it takes up lots of force points)

Deadly Sight (look at your opponents from long range and they "begin to burn" before your eyes! aim with your body, time based power, like an invisible long range flame thrower)

Destruction (toss a massive ball of flaming dark force energy that does splash damage and physically pumels them if it hits too! can knock world objects around and blast people off cliffs)

Projection (drops a decoy of yourself that stands there and punches.. though probably would be better to have it do random actions or mirror your own actions, but it can't be harmed, people just walk right through it and seeing detects it, can't be destroyed but disappears over time, not affected by outside world)

You wont believe how many times I've played Mysteries of the Sith just to see in how many ways and combinations of force powers I can kill off the stormies :) The throw power is one of the biggest things that Jedi Academy lacks, unlike JO where you could (in some way) manipulate your surroundings, JA has a very limited star wars feel to it. The animation for this power is already there, its called both_forcegrip3throw and its almost exactly what you see maul doing in EP1. There's also an npc called "rocks"... well you know what im after ;)

• 2 weeks later...

How about making speed useful?

Make it like a sprint button; you hold it down to get a burst of speed or (depending on your level) BURSTS of speed. Level 3 should enable you to run for as long as you have FP.

It would surely make sense in CTF and siege games.

most CTFers use strafe though and i dont recall any standard siege maps that actually allow you to use speed.

It was just an example, it doesnt really matter.

I hate the current speed, its not usable anywhere, it costs too much to use and it doesnt pay off. Having control of defined bursts would be a lot better than being stuck in mode of force draining for a minute.

Just like you would hold "walk" , you hold the force speed button to run faster while you drain your force meter.

People on both sides on Siege Korriban have access to speed, and Defense has access to Dark Rage.

Defense has access to Dark Rage on Siege Desert.

That's it, otherwise you have to strafe-run.

Are you thinking like the "sprint" feature in Star Wars Battlefront II?

It can be good for crossing large areas quickly... But if you think about it realistically, why does hopping like a mad man make you get places faster?

Personally I think a Sprint Function (Like BF2) would be great. It could probably just take Force Points too I assume.

It could always be a server-side option to stop Bunny Hopping?

It can be good for crossing large areas quickly... But if you think about it realistically, why does hopping like a mad man make you get places faster?

I'd have to agree there. Bunny hopping is effective, but very silly and could probably be replaced by something more realistic or at least cooler. The sprint from BF2 might be a good idea, or maybe make the roll so it is faster or more continuous into run and add sort of a longer jump flip like the ARC troopers have in moviebattles 2.

• 1 month later...

Something needs to be done about drain since it does nothing and maybe absorb (since its ratherly used) for the next build. I have a few possibilities.

1. Replace drain and absorb with sort of an automatic force block. The higher points you have at them, the more resistant you are to force.

2. same idea except make them about blaster resistance. Heck we could probably even have game modes that prohibit a certain level for both these ideas eventually. Since absorb isnt used very often, these ideas would kill two birds with one stone.

3. for drain, maybe make it so that when you use it on someone, they move really slowly. They would remain slow for a second or more after they got hit depending on how much FP was used on them. At least 10 FP should be use to make them slow for a second after. Higher points would either make them move slower, or use less fp. I thing absorb should just be automatic to some degree if nothing else.

4. Make drain cause the opponent to not be able to use force powers for a certain amount of time depending on how many points in it they have. Kind of like a dark cloud idea, but more generalizied.

5. Make drain block blasterbolts while in malee or else where like vader did to solo in episode 5. This idea could be combined with idea 2, but this would only work at the highest point level and only reduce DP drain by a bit.

comments? Preferences? Ideas?

Archived