Home

Defence and Attack points?

HerbieZ

Umm i noticed in another thread, something about building up defence to something like 40 and Kreia had 100 and so on and so forth. My question is, What the hell is this point thing? I don't understand what people mean about these points and attack scores and defence ratings. Have i missed something?

My understanding of d20 rules is not as advanced as other's but I think I can help here. In d20, everything is based off the roll of a 20-sided die. When an NPC attacks you, it rolls the die and the results of the roll (1-20) are combined with attribute modifers (DEX for blasters) and any attack modifiers inherent to weapons or equipment the NPC is using. That total is then compared to defense rating of the character being attacked. If the number is higher than the defense rating then the NPC successfully hit the character. If it's lower, then the NPC missed. I won't get into critical hits here, as there are multiple other threads that cover that much better.

If a hit occurs, a separate roll is made (using a 20-sided die) to determine how much damage was done, etc.

That's the really simple version. Anyone that wants to fill in anything I may have missed is more than welcome to correct me :D

Don't worry HerbieZ. I read it and barely got it. Thanks for trying Achilles. I think the community owes you more than one (mods, Influence,Etc). Still it makes better sense to me because there were times I kept missing the enemy annd couldn't figure out for the life of me why. From my basic understanding it has to do with the defense rate and how it compares with the enemy. Call me simple if you will but hey I tried.

Uhh. It still hasn't hit me yet.
Which part are you stuck at?

EDIT: Let me try it this way...

My PC gets attacked by a Sith Trooper. The Sith Trooper (ST) is a level 10 soldier, has 20 DEX, and is weilding a blaster rifle that has a +3 Attack Bonus.

NOTE: The 20 dexterity is important because characters get one modifer point for every 2 attribute points over 10. So 20 DEX = +5 to the attack roll.

When the ST shoots at my PC in the game, the engine "rolls" a 20-sided die. Suppose it "rolls" a 5. So take the 5, add the Base Attack Bonus that soldiers get at level 10 (I think it's 10), plus the +5 dexterity modifier and the +3 attack bonus inherent to the weapon. Ends up that the ST "rolled" a 23.

Let's say that my PC is a level 10 Jedi Guardian with 20 DEX and is wearing a Jedi Master robe. IIRC, a level 10 guardian would have a Base Armor Class of 6. He also gets a +5 modifer added to his defense for the same reason that the ST got the bonus to his attack roll (dexterity modifier). So his defense is 6 (base AC for his class/level), plus 5 (dexterity bonus), plus 3 (the defense of the robe). The Guardian defends with 14.

The 14 defense is lower than the 23 attack roll, so when the Trooper shot at my Guardian, he hit him. If the defense had been higher than the 23, then the shot would have missed. Make sense that way?

Wow! Are RedHawke, Jae Onasi, and I the only ones who have played the tabletop Star Wars RPG? You guys don't know what you are missing. It's a lot of fun to have your friends over, sit around the table, and create your own adventure.

Quoted for emphasis! :D

Though I do have one addendum to Achilles post above, I cannot say how it works on the PC game as I haven't looked yet myself, but I do know that in normal PnP D20 that you do not get a 'Defense Roll' your Defense Number (AC) is the number to beat to hit your character. ;)

Archived