Home

Torpedoes and Missiles

Heavyarms

Should they be targetable by fighters and capital ships? I am inclined to think they should be. They can instantly damage hardpoints with no counter, and they pretty much always hit. At least with lasers you got shields that can protect you, but nothing will stop a torpedo hit. Any thoughts?

The interdictor cruiser is supposed to stop them in a given radius both missiles and torpedoes. But I notice sometimes it works, other time not at all.

You can make the smaller concussion missiles in projectile.xml so they are non-penetrating.

But can they be made targetable, that is a good question. And can the AI be made to target them and actually destroy them?

would be nice for the bigger 'shield penetration' torpedoes.

That's what I did with both the missiles and torpedoes, except the Diamond-Boron missiles, as they are not cocooned inside an energy field for extra punch.

I also changed the Torpedo color to the more game like color of blue to distinguish what's torpedoes and what's missiles, aswell as a whole range of other changes.

• 2 weeks later...
Should they be targetable by fighters and capital ships? I am inclined to think they should be. They can instantly damage hardpoints with no counter, and they pretty much always hit. At least with lasers you got shields that can protect you, but nothing will stop a torpedo hit. Any thoughts?

I find this point strange. Why does EaW make torpedo shots and concussion missile shots bypass shields when EVERY other source (games such as the Xwing series, Star Wars Galaxies, the EU books, etc.) make it so that these items actually ARE stopped by shields?

In SWG, protons are equally effective against shields and armor while concussions are only effective against shields. In the Xwing series of EU books, there were many times where Rogue Squadron used tactics to mass fire protons such that they would detonate simultaneously in order to drop a capital ship's shields and actually penetrate to armor before the shields came back up. In the Xwing series, it was possible to hit a component directly with missiles, but it was also possible to hit them directly with lasers as well so long as you were inside the shield.

I'm not sure why the development of this game changed this concept.

i think this was done to increase the effectiveness of bombers and missile corvettes against frigates and capital ships since they would otherwise be almost useless against such formidible shields (considering squadron size of bombers is only 3-4).

Perhaps, but a better solution would have been to make them stronger (as they are in the SW universe).

Capital ships do tend to drop their shields way too quick in the game.

Maybe some of those ideas (as was implemented in the Realism Mod) can be looked into.

Protons torpedo from a bomber does shield and armor damage. Concussion missles only doing shield/armor damage to hit other fighters and ships hardpoints, but moving at a faster speed and less overall yield.

Alot of posibilities to test. I think the Realism Mod really comes close to getting it a correct balance for MP and against the AI.

I wish they will release the LUA script editor in the future so that AI use of these modification can be used intelligently by the AI. A human player would have no problem understanding the modifications playing in a MP setting.

Yes, the AI is indeed grating. But change or no change, the fact that the AI can blatantly lose a battle in their favour speaks poorly of it.

(Modded, of course) Had a case with the AI having 4 ISDs, 2 Vics, 4 Acclamators and 2x more TIES than Rebel fighters. I had 4 Mon Cals, 1 Neb-B.

The AI lost that battle horrendously, only killing the Neb-B and 1 Mon Cal. The fighters came to attack in squadrons of 2 and 3, instead of en masse, the bombers ignored fighters blasting away at their tails, and their cap ships just seemed intent on running to the other side of my fleet, and got slaughtered by concentrated fire, while not bothering to concentrate their own fire.

And all the ships were present throughout the whole battle; no restrictive pop cap here.

Archived