Home

KOTOR 3

n321

Ok here is what I know

(official release from obsidian)

"In September of 2004, LucasArts laid off several of their employees, including the team who was currently developing KOTOR:3. All internal projects save for one were canceled.

Akari, one of the KOTOR:2 developers said shortly after KOTOR:2's release that as far as he knew, no one was currently working on KOTOR:3

MCA (Lead Designer on KOTOR:2) has said a few times (such as the recent interview with Gamer Girl) that he would like to do KOTOR:3, but it is not currently being developed."

It doesent seem to me that we will be getting a sequel any time soon! So my proposal is this:

Lucas forums and holowan labs is the #1 and maybe only modding community for KOTOR...WE have so much talent here just being used on minor skinning and altering of KOTOR! We should take matters into our own hands and make a sequel of our own for the community! Our own story...planets...npc's...party members...dialogue ect! We can make it a TC of KOTOR 1 or 2 (or both!) and use much of the old media like sith troops...human npc's...textures ect. We would only need new models for party members and other misc things. The big problem and hard spot is voice overs for party members and a few npc's! All party members would need audio dialogue to match every written dialogue in the script! ALSO most human npc's will need it as well!

If we were to start by getting together a good basic story foundation level designers could already go to work!

Heres how i see it:

once we have a story and a list of planets someone can start designing the first location of the first planet (ot where ever) a group of people could then be given the task of expanding that planet while another group would go to work on the next one! Just basic geometry design...no quests or detail!

This would go on until all planets and most areas are made...while it is being done a group would start expanding the story (in great detail) they would start with planet (ore area ) 1 and plan a beif overview of all sidequests in the game including relationships with party members (IT NEEDS A ROMANCE!) (only a breif overview for each planet!)

When a overview for planet 1 is complete level makers would start adding npc's where they belong and another group would start writing dialogue for them. The overview writers would go on to the next planet! when this is complete a group will start doing a script for all events on planet one! and another group will start scripting them! everyone else would move on to planet 2!

This small procedure would only need maybe 5 groups of 2 or 3 people and 2 people to over see the big picture and put everything together and tie up loose ends! We already have most of the media (minus a few npc's) and all of the editing tools we need and it is very possible if everyone all works together! WE need to loose most planets used in the old games (or re design them)

I ususaly would say a community made sequel would be a waste of time because lucasarts would just release a game before we do but in this case...they wont! pluse this way we get to put our hand in the sequel!

LEGAL STUFF!!!!

Lucas arts wont let us release a mod called KOTOR 3 so it would have to go as a community made expansion or alternate sotory of KOTOR and it must not include the name KOTOR

I am not that big of an editor for KOTOR I dont understand all of the scripting stuff BUT I am a veteran Q3/D3 editor so I understand how games work and go together! I have the ability and knowlege to put together all story ideas that the community comes up with and make a indepth story with them! I can help oversee the project if the community chooses to take it on as well as write scripts and sidequests/ sidestorys ect! I can plan phases and tie up loose ends! If I do this I will need a person to oversee the engine editing of the game (editing modules, level design ect!) I can model but I have never done NWN MDL models before (so I might be able to help there!)

It would be a great project and a great acheivement for the community! (also alot of fun to make a whole new story or episode for KOTOR)

Let me know if t is something your all interested in and I will start planning!

I need people who want to help to list all abilitys so that I can put together teams ect. I estimate almost a year of work before any alpha releases ot the mod!!! (maybe sooner if alot of people help!)

Cheers! and I hope that this time next month we have ourselves a start!

Good idea...but

1. we cannot port assets from one game to the other unless they exist in both games already

2. afaik the entire module format has not yet been cracked, so we'd be restricted to using existing cities/planet textures, that's not to say that we couldn't create new planets/areas using what is already available to us; but nothing entirely new.

Lucasarts has cancled the project until further notice!!!!!

Well I thought new areas and models were possible finaly!!! ok then I guell Ill hold off until the limitations are cracked! thanx for the replys

"In September of 2004, LucasArts laid off several of their employees, including the team who was currently developing KOTOR:3. All internal projects save for one were canceled.

Talk about old news...LA has been hiring many people since then.... 2005 has been their best year so far.

Anyways, for Kotor 3 speculation you can check the Unknown Regions forum.

If I were you, I wouldn't say that there won't be a KotOR 3. Keep your hopes up ;)

As for the project, many things are impossible as indicated by others above. This is a huge project and I am not sure you will be able to gather a team to do this.

Note that some modders are currently working on new areas but reusing exisiting ones. However, most of those mods are areas to be included in the actual storyline and do not continue the story after the end.

Lucasarts has cancled the project until further notice!!!!!

Relax, I was just giving you my 2 cents on the subject. I had heard that they were planning on doing it, and I had assumed that they were at least starting it by now. I heard about the whole laying off of employees before, but as darth333 said, they've been hiring since then.

"Relax, I was just giving you my 2 cents on the subject"

sorry didnt mean that in a mean way toward you I meant it in an excited...I cant beleive it way!

Well then I hope they begin the project again! SOON!

As far as the size of the project goes I have done this type of thing before (notwith a team of forum members though...I had a team of artists who I knew personally) I used the quake 2 engine and modded it with Q3 engine code and added doom 3 effects to it...making it able to load and render doom 3 and quake 4 maps! My team and I then used my engine to make a complete game with all of our own media with a great storyline and tons of cut sceens (made in max and they looked very high quality for a group of ametures!) The game had voice overs that I did at my university! ect ect! We are now working on getting a q2 licence and changing the q3 code with our own! I am also updating the engine to look more like ut 2007 ( hdr lighting and other fancy things!) So yes I could handle a project like this if I had the proper help! The only thing I dont yet have it experence woth kotors engine! (modding it that is!) But I pick up quick! I am now planning a Starwars mod for my engine under a gpl licence ( a dark gritty outcast like game) and Ill just start working on it until you guys get a little further with kotor modding! I am also writing my own engine in c++ that I wont need any licences for and my next game after the starwars on will be on it! (closed sorced and sold!) I also plan to make some simple mods for kotor to try and learn the engine!

Archived