Home

DVD Player: Question!

Does anyone know how long is too long to leave your DVD player on?

Depends really... do you keep a DVD in the tray all the time?

If so, it would probably be a good idea to turn it off as soon as you're through watching your movie (or wake up.. hehehe)...

If a disc is in the try.. that means the laser is firing as well.. plus, the disc is spinning (ie. moving parts, wear-n-tear, etc.)...

If you prefer to keep your player on all the time, such as if you're running a cable box, speakers, or something else through it... at least take the DVD out of the tray. That should help maintain life of your unit :)

If you're shopping for a new one, try to get one that has a standby power-down. This way, you can still run components though it while the machine itself is powered down.. (works as a line-in/out passthrough)..

Depends really... do you keep a DVD in the tray all the time?

If so, it would probably be a good idea to turn it off as soon as you're through watching your movie (or wake up.. hehehe)...

If a disc is in the try.. that means the laser is firing as well.. plus, the disc is spinning (ie. moving parts, wear-n-tear, etc.)...

If you prefer to keep your player on all the time, such as if you're running a cable box, speakers, or something else through it... at least take the DVD out of the tray. That should help maintain life of your unit :)

If you're shopping for a new one, try to get one that has a standby power-down. This way, you can still run components though it while the machine itself is powered down.. (works as a line-in/out passthrough)..

Yeah. I left the thing on for six hours. I fell asleep. When I woke up, the DVD was spinning on the menu page. Gr.... I went out and bought a Sony DVD player. I usually set the Sleeper timer, but I didn't that night. Bummer.

I took the DVD out before powering down, so it will not spin durring startup. I usually shut the DVD down without a DVD in the tray.

Gr...

my PS2 will run for more than a week in a row without overheating. but my dvd playercould prolly run for 6 hours or something.

I hope Sony lives up to its name. Similar to what you have said, they made a build in DVD player into the PS2, and it was ment to be played for hours.

Archived