Home

LOW Team - SSD Too Powerful? (NOT a balance question)

IonFizzle07

First of all, congrats at your massive success. 2000 downloads at Empire At War Files, and its barely just come out.

I love the SSD mod, but I think the volleys it puts aloft are maybe a bit too powerful, or have too great of range.

As an example, in the X-Wing Series, Book 6, Han Solo's MC-80C cruiser, the Mon Remonda, engaged the Iron Fist for several minutes with turbolaser volleys. True, in a prolonged engagement the Mon Remonda would have been crushed, and the Remonda was considerably more powerful than a typical MC-80, but I find it a bit vexing that the Mon Cal Cruisers in EaW can't even get within firing range before being utterly obliterated.

What are your thoughts on this? An MC-80 is obviously no match for an Executor Command Ship, but it should be able to at least open fire before being obliterated.

I know that the Mini-Mod is not intended to be balanced, I'm just mentioning this for the full LoW release.

I am anticipating all of your ships SO much. I cannot wait to use the E-Wing, the Nova Cruiser, the Dodonna Assault Frigate, the Dreadnaught...

Thanks for being the best EaW mod out there

-Cam

Sure a lone MC doesnt stand a chance in the world, but thats the point. If you send in multiple MCs and Home One, you can destroy the Executor without a single ship being destroyed(granted its hard) I find it is fairly balanced in this retrospect(being able to obliterate a lvl 5 space station extremely easy on the other hand >_<)

• 2 weeks later...

No,I think it will take really a VERY LARGE fleet of Mon Cal to take out that SSD now. The SSD has even more firepower than all the SD u can bring in with this popcap. SD and mon cal are comparable in this game so u cant defeat the SSD in this mini-mod.

However, the SDs and Mon Cals (frigates and capitals in general)in this game are weaker than they should be. So i am completely not worried about the overpower of this shape as they are on different scale. I believe SD and Mon Cal will be beefed up in the full mod (as almost all mods do) that multiple of them can be comparable to a SSD.

But some problems with the SSD:

I notice that the SSD seems to have some blind spots. I can't point out the exact locations but when the target is ~45 degree(taking the front as 0) to the left or right of the SSD, no weapon will shoot it. If u turn the SSD to face the target with its side or its front , it will obliterate the target. Also the SSD seems to be unaable to fire at the shield gen of the Rebel starbase. Maybe its just me moving the SSD too close that angle exceeds the firing arc.

The turning of the ship is too fast.I feel like swinging a dagger. The piviot point is also too near to the back of the ship. It should be at the centre of mass which seems to be nearer to the front.

I hope my observation helps.

it defiantly has blind spots, a mon cal was able to come right up next to it, the darn ship wouldn't turn or fire anything, no matter how many times i clicked

when trying to make it fire on a rebel station, wouldnt do that either, it just pointed directly at it, wouldnt move a budge or fire anything

Archived