Home

What is the GPC made out of?

Yeah, I know, "metal." Besides that, I meant.

See, I'm trying to incorporate the whole GPC idea, that there's a metal or an alloy or whatnot that can stop psychics dead in their tracks, into a fic I'm working on. Problem is, I actually need to know what it's called.

It's not mentioned in the game by name, whatever it is. So--does anyone have any theories? Steel, iron, etc.? I've been talking it over with another fanfic writer, and we discussed the possibility of it being tin, or psitanium laced with tin (or, I suppose, some normal metal laced with tin), especially since the tinfoil hat seems to work so well on Dogen. The problem with that is there's tin everywhere...if a psychic keeps enough canned goods in his/her house, they'd have a bit of a problem, wouldn't they?

We also thought of the possibility that it's psitanium or some sort of metal that's been altered--possibly through the use of electricity--that just happens to have an adverse effect on a psychic's brain chemistry. But, again, there's problems with that--like how do you give the metal the requisite electrical charge without killing the person you're trying to contain? (And what would happen if you were running a psychic prison and had a power failure? That could get ugly...)

My theory now is that it's not just some ordinary metal, like steel--otherwise psychics' powers would go on the fritz every time they drove a car or walked into a building with steel girders. So it's either something really rare, or it's some sort of combination or alteration of a more ordinary metal.

Anyway. Theories, anyone?

(Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense. I'm running on very little sleep at the moment.)

First of all, OMGZ GIRLFRIEND!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!

I think it's metal, fuzed with some kind of kryptonite for psychics like you said. That, or that padding inside puts them in some sort of mental state where they can't use their powers. I don't really know.

First of all, OMGZ GIRLFRIEND!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!

OMGZ, I AM!!!

...Okay; better now. ;) (Like I said, not enough sleep.) Good point about the padding...didn't think about that, but it may have something to do with it.

Doesn't explain Lili's hat, though--since I don't think that's padded, yet it works pretty well in restraining her psychic powers on its own. So it seems like it should be something in the metal...maybe it's what happens when you combine psitanium with an ordinary metal, like steel or iron--some crazy bad nasty chemical reaction?

I think the idea of using tin-foil hats to prevent people from reading your thoughts was a long-standing joke, so Tim used that, but this time it's to prevent thoughts from getting out. As for the GPC, probably some psitanium-counteracting alloy specifically designed to restrict psychic waves. Obviously Dogen doesn't have the same resources.

Archived