Home

Galactic Conquest II: Rebel Rebound

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't read the whole thing, but still here's my opinion:

You have great writing skills, but I see one problem - your story can't fit into the storyline we've already seen in the two trilogies. I'm guessing this is happening before Episode IV A New Hope, but it doesn't fit in because as far as we know Obi-Wan spent all those years between episodes III and IV on Tatooine, watching over Luke.

I didn't read the whole thing, but still here's my opinion:

You have great writing skills, but I see one problem - your story can't fit into the storyline we've already seen in the two trilogies. I'm guessing this is happening before Episode IV A New Hope, but it doesn't fit in because as far as we know Obi-Wan spent all those years between episodes III and IV on Tatooine, watching over Luke.

thanks for replying igyman,

as an explaination, i wont spoil anything, but this is only the second installment of the trilogy series. the third remains with ample time for Obi Wan to

go back

hope that clears it up. you'll understand more when you see the end of the third fic. :)

thanks again!

They exited the elevator and came to a code-and-card-locked door. Rick stepped forward.

“On it,” he reported as he worked. He inserted a computer spike into the key slot and began typing in access codes. Five minutes later,

“Done,” he said, and the door opened; flooding them over with heat.

“Phew,” said Wedge as they walked in. “Pretty hot down here, don’t you think?”

The three of them adjusted the cooling units of their armor and walked ahead, trying to locate the best spot to conceal the detonator.

“Here,” Rick said, pointing underneath a dome-based cylindrical fusion chamber. “Best place to stick a thermal in.”

Obi Wan scrutinized it for a moment, then nodded. He produced a thermal detonator and keyed it from its default setting of 5 minutes to 10 minutes. He then placed it into a self-sealing flimsiplast punch and activated the seal. All the air was sucked out and the flimsiplast stuck itself to the detonator’s metallic skin.

“Umm, Obi Wan,” began Wedge. “You do know that the heat will cause that flimsiplast to melt within minutes.”

“Five, actually,” said Obi Wan. “That’s why I did it. The flimsiplast will melt and then the switch will be activated on the detonator, giving us a clearance time of 15 minutes to get out of here.”

“Your Force abilities?” asked Rick as they made their way up to the detention level via the elevator. “Or did you just do the math?”

“Both, actually,” Obi Wan replied with a smile.

The elevator stopped and out they came into the Detention Level. Obi Wan followed the Force to the source of the emissions he had felt earlier, which led him to cell number A94G1. He hit the release and the door slid open, revealing a teenage boy, clearly having a pushy and prided nature, in the good sense.

“What do you want?” he asked, and Obi Wan was surprised at the amount of indifference in his tone.

Obi Wan walked in and removed his helmet.

“I’m no Stormtrooper,” he said, a little Force added for good measure. “I’m here to free you.”

To his massive surprise, it didn’t work.

“Yeah right,” the boy replied. “And I’m a Jedi Knight.”

“You can be one,” Obi Wan said coolly.

“What?” The boy was at least confused now, and would be willing to listen, even if it was out of curiosity.

“Like I said,” Obi Wan began. “I’m no Stormtrooper, but a Jedi Master. I help the Rebel Alliance and am doing my best to try and destroy this base. I don’t want you to be in it when it goes up.”

“The Jedi were all killed when Darth Vader carried out the Jedi Purge,” the boy replied. “Only an Obi Wan Kenobi has survived.”

Obi Wan smiled.

“No,” the boy said, his eyes widening with astonishment.

“Yes,” Obi Wan replied, still smiling. “I am he.”

“Wow,” the boy said, dumbstruck with awe.

“Let’s go,” Obi Wan said and the two of them exited the cell to join Wedge and Rick waiting outside.

“Who’s the kid?” Rick asked as they moved on.

“I’ll explain later,” said Obi Wan as he replaced his helmet. They came up to the Officer in charge of the Detention Level.

“Where are you going with the detainee?” he demanded.

“Prisoner to be shipped off-planet to Kessel, sir,” Obi Wan said, his voice dripping with the Force. Getting out was imperative now.

“Yes, yes, go ahead.” The officer said distractedly and returned to his work. The four of them got back up to the main level and exited the Base. They had walked about a kilometer when the ground under them trembled. They turned around just in time to see the Imperial base explode in a brilliant fireworks display.

“Well, that takes care of the Imps,” commented Rick. “Now the Rebel Alliance will have no problem converting the Corellian shipyards to their cause.”

Obi Wan turned to the teenager.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“Jake Ribbon,” the boy replied. “What exactly did you mean when you said that I could become a Jedi Knight?”

“Pretty straightforward, isn’t he?” commented Wedge.

Obi Wan ignored him as the four made their way to Wedge’s shuttle. As they did so, Obi Wan replied to Jake,

“You have a very strong connection to the Force,” he said. “I can train you, if you like, but it will not be easy.”

“I’ll do my best to learn, Master,” Jake said.

“Good,” replied Obi Wan. “The first thing you need to know, is to learn to trust the Force. If you have a particular strong feeling about something, go ahead with it.”

Jake thought for a while, then nodded to show that he understood.

Just as they reached the top of the boarding ramp, though, Obi Wan and Jake felt a dark ripple in the Force. While Rick and Wedge continued into the ship, Obi Wan and Jake turned in unison; to face Coren D’Haren.

“Leaving so soon?” he said maliciously as he ignited his red blade.

Before Obi Wan could reply, though, Jake said,

“Sorry to disappoint you then,” and suddenly, D’Haren was knocked back as if hit by a giant hand. Jake then slammed his fist against the button that raised and lowered the ramp.

“Get to the air!” Obi Wan shouted and the ship rose obediently and made it’s way to Dantooine to deliver news of their success.

“What did you just do?” Obi Wan asked Jake, perplexed.

“I wanted to somehow distract him. Just about then, I heard an inner voice or something. It didn’t exactly speak to me, but at that moment, pushing at him with all my mind seemed to be a very good decision, so I did. I had no idea it was a Force push or anything.”

“That’s good,” Obi Wan said. “You’ve learnt to trust your instincts and act accordingly. I think you will progress very well in your training.”

They made their way to the cockpit and strapped themselves in for the Hyperspace jump.

You just found out your name was Jake? :p

:lol: Hall, I mean that I've just noticed my first name was used in this Fic and usually I don't reveal my name in Forums like this. It is a bit obvious what my surname (second name) is.

Anyway sorry for going off topic, I'm looking foward to more RC.

Interesting chapter, the only thing I didn't like was that Sith's name, it wasn't a classic Sith Lord name, like Darth *something*. As I said before, great writing skills.

Well actually, he is just trained as a Dark Jedi, like Exar Kun. He is not apprenticed to a trained Sith Lord, that's why there's no Darth. :)

thanks, igyman.

isn't it a little early for the Emperor to have Dark Jedi/Emperor's Hands?

i guess so, but what good is a fic featuring a Jedi if there arent any duels? :D and Vader/Obi Wan has been done, right? so there should be a little variation. but i'll make sure this doesnt meddle with the storyline of ANH.

thanks for replying, Hall. just a question: is the grammar ok? :)

Jake is my first name

heh, what are the odds? :D

It is a bit obvious what my surname is

lemme guess...is it Ribbon? :D

Thanks for the comments all! :)

i guess so, but what got is a fic featuring a Jedi if there arent any duels? and Vader/Obi Wan has been done, right? so there should be a little variation. but i'll make sure this doesnt meddle with the storyline of ANH.

I agree with you RC. Fighting with Vader all the time would eventually get boring. I mean, that is why somebody invented the YV in the EU books (Though I've hardly read any of them).

meh, i would have taken a thosand Vader duels to that crap :xp: the author of Vector Prime did a very vong thing killing Chewie :(

anyway, back on topic: i'll get up a little more wise-old-guys-discussion type chapter up next.

“Strong in the Force, you say,” repeated Qui Gon’s spirit. “What’s his name?”

“Jake Ribbon was what he said.” Obi Wan replied. “Do you think I should train him?”

Just then, the form of Revan appeared and answered Obi Wan’s question.

“Since he knocked down that Dark Jedi without a bit a training, I think we can effectively say that he requires training.”

Obi Wan frowned, he hadn’t told anybody about the meeting with D’Haren.

“How did you know about the Dark Jedi?” he asked.

Revan smiled and simply said, “We are the Force, Obi Wan.”

“How do you think I should proceed?” Obi Wan asked the two Jedi Masters, unwilling to make the same mistakes he had with Anakin’s training. He wanted to make sure that Jake would not be misguided as Anakin had been. He would do his duty as a responsible Jedi Master by not only teaching the right thing, but by employing it too. Someday, he hoped, he would be able to turn his fallen student back to the light, instead of being doomed to darkness forever.

“I think we should get to know more about his inner qualities,” Revan said, and Qui Gon nodded his approval.

“Revan has spoken of a tried and tested way of confirming a Jedi’s instincts in his days, Obi Wan,” Qui Gon said. “You can imply it with young Jake and see what path he chooses.”

Obi Wan made a slight bow and said, “Yes Master.”

Jake had always loved to play with machinery, and hence, when the Captain had made a general call for assistance with his astromech droid, he had practically tripped over himself to volunteer. Now he worked on re-wiring the memory core and power chamber with proper alignment. As he did so, Obi Wan came up behind him silently.

“Hello again, Jake,” he said.

The young teen was so startled; he squeezed the fingers holding the power chamber activation switch as he held the bare wire with the other hand. The resulting shock was enough to dizzy him as well as render his hairstyle as that of a crazed punk rocker.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Jake,” apologized Obi Wan as the former tried to smooth down his hair.

“Nah, that’s okay,” Jake replied. “I thought somebody was coming up behind me, but I was too busy with this.” He waved to the R4 unit that he was working on.

“I just came to tell you that we are ready to begin your training.” Obi Wan said.

“We?” Jake asked, curious. “Are there more Jedi Knights?”

“Well,” Obi Wan began. “Yes and no, young one. You’ll see them in due time.”

Jake nodded but didn’t say anything.

“You can come and meet me at the old ruins to the north when you are ready,” Obi Wan said.

“Okay, I’ll finish this up and be there,” Jake replied.

Obi Wan nodded and returned to the ancient Jedi Enclave as Jake finished up the R4’s circuitry and closed the panels to test it. He activated the droid and held his breath. The droid’s lights flashed for a full 5 seconds, then it beeped its thanks to Jake. The latter grinned and proceeded to take the droid back to its owner.

Jake had never been to Dantooine before and was mystified by the quiet beauty of the planet. The wide open grasslands looked very soothing and exuded a dull peacefulness that caused Jake to want to drop in the tall grass and take a nap. But he kept walking to the ruined buildings far north, led by his curiosity and his excitement at being accepted for Jedi Training.

He made it to the ruins finally and looked around for Obi Wan. As he did so, the figures of Revan and Qui Gon materialized behind him.

“Obi Wan may be found inside, young one,” Revan said kindly.

Jake jumped a meter and whipped around, nerves almost at breaking point. When he saw that they were Force-spirits, he seemed to relax a little.

“You’ve heard of us, have you?” said Qui Gon with a smile and Jake nodded calmly.

“I’ve heard many stories that Jedi are able to return as ghosts to the real world,” he said.

“Well, they aren’t ghosts, per se,” came a voice behind him, and Obi Wan walked up next to him. “They are Force-spirits.”

Jake shrugged and Obi Wan proceeded to introduce them to each other.

“I think we’ll leave you to your training, Obi Wan,” said Qui Gon and Revan nodded. The two of them vanished and Obi Wan took Jake inside.

“Now the first thing we need to do, is determine your class,” Obi Wan said as they sat down on a pair of portable chairs.

“Class? You mean there are different sections in the Order?” Jake asked.

“Not in the Order,” Obi Wan replied. “But different types of Jedi. And we need to understand which class you are most suited to, so I’ll ask you a few questions, you must answer as you feel, don’t take too long to think about it.”

Jake nodded and Obi Wan proceeded to ask him the questions,

“Now then,” he began. “A woman and her child are beset by a group of desperate looking group of thugs. She cries to you for help. What do you do?”

Jake spent half a minute in thought, then replied, “Help them flee.”

Obi Wan nodded and continued, “You are in personal combat with a Sith Lord. There is a pause in your fight. What do you do?”

“Try to find a weakness in his technique.”

“You are the head of an Enclave on a contested world. The Sith and their minions are causing trouble on the planet. What do you do?”

“Hunt them down.”

“Last question: There is a locked door in front of you and your goal lies behind it. What do you do?”

“Try to pick the lock.”

Obi Wan nodded at Jake.

“By the answers you have given, I can successfully determine that you would be most suited as a Jedi Sentinel. A very rare class at that.”

“Thank you, Master,” said Jake. “But why is it a rare class?”

“There are actually three classes in the Jedi Order,” Obi Wan explained. “In recent years, that is to say, fifty to sixty years ago, the Jedi Sentinel class became harder to find. The other two classes, the Jedi Guardian and the Jedi Consular were of the extremes, you could say. Jedi Guardians focus more on combat techniques and fighting with a lightsaber than drawing on the Force. They are the first line of defense against any attack brought about on them. The Jedi Consular class, are exactly the opposite. They prefer to focus more on Force techniques and diplomatic solutions. They resort to a lightsaber only if the need arises, so they focus much lesser on personal combat.”

Jake nodded to say that he had understood up to this point.

“But the Jedi Sentinel class served as a balance between these two extremes,” Obi Wan continued. “They gave equal thought to the lightsaber as well as the Force. However, more Jedi preferred the path of the Jedi Guardian as the Sith began to rise in the old era. The remaining Jedi turned to the path of the Consular to use the Force as a chief means of defense. By the time the Clone Wars had begun, there were only one or two Sentinels in the Jedi Temple.”

“Is the path of the Sentinel difficult?” Jake asked.

“The path of the Jedi itself is difficult,” Obi Wan replied. “But compared to the other classes, yes, the Sentinel class is a difficult one as you are giving practice to your Force abilities as well as your lightsaber.”

Jake nodded.

“That reminds me,” Obi Wan said and took out a small book from his pocket. “You have to build your own lightsaber to be fully accepted as a Jedi Padawan.”

Jake accepted the book and opened it, flipping through the pages carefully.

“Do I have any other tests?” he asked.

“Yes,” Obi Wan replied. “You must memorize the Jedi Code and understand it fully. It is written on the first page of this book. I will give you a full day to learn and understand the code, and you can begin work on your lightsaber as soon as possible.”

“But I don’t have any of the parts required for it,” Jake said, looking through the parts list.

“I’m sure the Rebel engineers will have all you need,” Obi Wan replied as they stood and started making their way back. “Just tell them that I sent you.”

The two of them exited the Enclave and made the hike back to the base.

Archived