Home

Jetpack and Flamethrower

MisterM

I agree with Razorace on this one. To me, and I believe to many of us, it's essential to get an engrossing and highly polished saber system ironed out first. In my opinion, when this portion of the project is finished it's going to represent the finest saber system ever produced for any Star Wars title.

Having contributed to ForceMod III, I can state that building and balancing classes is a lot of work. Now let me be clear, I had no role in building any of the classes, but for a year I was the only alpha tester on that mod, and the private beta phase lasted for a long time as well, after all, it has 29 classes to chose from and test!

I feel that the most strenuous part in class building is balancing out what is seen in the films against game play issues. Rightfully or wrongly, those that complain about ForceMod III cite this aspect frequently. This being said, I hope that this thread doesn't devolve into a "I loved it/hated it" debate regarding ForceMod III, I'm merely bringing it up as an example that I've experienced firsthand.

When OJP E is ready to broaden game play experiences to players, I hope that it does so in the manner already well established by those who've contributed to this mod: proceed with great care for details, and if necessary, take your time doing so.

I've appreciated every step made thus far towards advancing OJP E, and I have every confidence that whenever and whatever it evolves into, that it will be a thoughtful and thought provoking release.

Of course, extra classes will be welcomed, and I'm eager to get my hands on what is to come.

Kyle

June 27, 2006

:)

I say we just try to convince the people at FM3 to let us barrow a few of there classes and just start tweaking from there! LOL. That save us alot of time. I'd most like to get their soldier class over here and then have razor tweak the heck out of the NPC's that follow you around and make them smarter, follow orders, maybe add a few extra NPCs that can follow, and make them fire faster. This way, the soldier class would be more of a match for one of our jedis and keep it movie realistic.

No I'm against that, then OJP wouldn't be exclusive to itself

OJP is unique because almost all of the work is entirely done by Razor himself

But then, FM3 has a really good class system

Classes?

I'd rather see like 2 or 3 classes but with a number of **** to choose from.

If Raze implements my suggestions about Saber forms and Force powers would become useful again, OJP would get a broad scala of impressive builds which would all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

No I'm against that, then OJP wouldn't be exclusive to itself

OJP is unique because almost all of the work is entirely done by Razor himself

But then, FM3 has a really good class system

the funny thing is, I can up with that idea for the soldier class and got razor to like it long before I knew that FM3 had something similar. Honestly, I think this is the best and most movie realistic why of balancing soldiers vs jedi and I'm sure razor could make it MUCH better then it is in FM3. The code would just help him get an easier starting point to improve upon. Just bare in mind that this probably wont happen for another one or two builds/releases from now.

If classes are going to be added, I feel that perhaps the best route is to keep the number of classes limited, so that balancing issues can be more easily addressed.

Here's my take on what they could be:

Force Users - 1 class slot only, with a boost to Force powers if a saber is NOT chosen as a weapon.

Bounty Hunters - It seems that the community is pretty much divided into two classes that are LOVED to be played, bounty hunters (specifically Mandalorians) and Force Users, so it'd be wise to give them that avenue, or otherwise we'll have a rebellion of players on our hands, ala Sony's failed Star Wars Galaxies' goofiness. Bounty Hunters counterbalance the Force Users' mystical powers with technological ones.

Soldiers - Like ForceMod III, the leader is followed by a squad of NPCs that mimic his behavior, and are able to respond to commands, such as "Defend (here)", "Defend (my target)", "Clear (room; perhaps a grenade is thrown in first with the NPC's then entering the area in a tactical fashion)", and "Attack (my target)". My hopes are identical to JRHockney's in wishing that the NPC's AI can behave more smartly than what's been achieved in the past. But hey, who doesn't want smarter NPCs or bots? Every time a Force User is wiped out by a squad, that squad gets a free NPC respawn, with the player or bot leader being able to "call" for this "reinforcement" whenever he wants. This reinforcement would spawn within a certain radius of the leader's location.

In my opinion, these three classes pretty much cover most of what we've seen in the films, and would at least make for a great foundation for a later and more broader selection of bots.

:)

Archived