Home

Create a new head!

Please check the tutorial forums before you post asking for a tutorial.

The tutorial forums are clearly marked with Tables of Contents at the top of Holowan Labs.

This tutorial that Arátoeldar directed you to was the same one I was going to.

_EW_

What exactly did you do? The only thing I can see in the tutorial that would cause problems for K1 is renaming modela, texa, modelb, and texb because there aren't TSF in K1, not sure about the first though. Find other in-K1 names to give those.

It's also possible that the line numbering didn't work because there are fewer lines in K1. When you edit the .2das and add rows, number them ascending from the last number listed. So if the last number was 20, renumber the new row 21.

i studied each step before doing it! when i finished i selected the head, the picture was a white box but i had created the picture and renamed it to the specific head, the character selection screen only showed the body/shouldes with a invisible head and the same happened in game(invisible head)!

the characters portrait file must be exactley 128x128 in dimensions any other dimensions and it likely will not show up. As to the invisible head this has been known to happen in K1 with some heads. Other heads work fine with the method used in the tutorial. sometimes this to is caused by the tga file not having the proper dimensions. When this happens the game will make the head invisible. The dimensions of the head tga file should be 512x512 if I recall properly. If the dimensions are off then you will have an invisible head. Also some of the K1 head models require you to edit the mdl file to point directly to the texture file. Use mdlops renamer function and look for references that match exactley with the old heads texture name. Then rename the references to the new texture name.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any other ways to make a new head? Something less advanced?

The simple answer is no. Creating heads and appearances that are unique and don't overwrite existing heads and appearances are a advanced modding subject. If you just want a new skin for your favorite PC or NPC then all you do is retexture the texture file.

Here is a basic breakdown of modding skill level for different types of mods.

Basic/Beginner level:

Changing Item "UTI" files to have extra capabilities or creating a new item using existing resources.

Retexturing skins and items.

Changing stats for a creature or NPC "UTC" files.

Moderate/Intermediate level:

Dialogs

Creating new simple characters & monsters.

Creating new 2da entries and referencing them. Such as new heads and appearances.

some scripting(simple scripts)

Advanced/Expert Level:

New areas

Indepth Characters and recruits.

Larger scale scripts.

creating new models.

editing existing models.

Some of the above could be reclassified depending on the persons own skill level. The above is reference guide is for somebody who has never done anything relating to modding ever.

~snip~

Second of all, I did want to say that the chart-type thing that DK wrote can be interpreted in different ways, and that it won't be like that for all modders. Basically, results may vary.

_EW_

took care of the spam post.. edited yours so ppl don't think you're crazy.. hehehe ;) ~ ChAiNz.2da

Archived