Home

That Fatty in a Fez

I say, I say

Hector Lemans, main antagonist of Grim Fandango, is probably one of the best villains in LucasArts Adventure Games, while he does have a humourous side like perhaps Monkey Island's LeChuck, he displays a further sadistic darker personality that takes Grim Fandango even further from the usual Adventure Game Series. LeChuck has never directly harmed Threepwood in terms of violence and the 'torture' scenes have always been off-screen. The only time to note is at the end of the Curse of Monkey Island where he sets light to Guybrush's shoes, however Hector shoots Many directly and also others in the game. Not to mention the off-screen shootings which amount to the great 'Meadow' at the end of the game. Also Hector I like to think is the deceiver of the deceivers, he doesn't tell Domino about his schemes or anyone else and all he does do is for his own personal greed.

Yet some players like other villains in the game, such as of course Domino Hurley who is more the rival of the game. He does not wish to kill Manny but out-do him and ultimately jus disregards Manny as a threat. Yet of course, this leads to his untimely demise.

Others see a villain in Nick Virago, the lawyer, seeing as he goes out to fool Maximino by having an affair and later shooting Lola, a shocking scene in the game. So I put this question to you; who is your favourite Grim Fandango and why? Personally as you can see from my rather long explanation (sorry) it is Hector but who is yours?

Favourite villain? I have to say Domino. He's also my favourite character. There's something so appealing in his sleazy bad ass way of doing things. I wish I could explain it, but I can't quite put a finger on it myself.

I also like Nick, but I've expressed my obsession for him so many times elsewhere that I better remain silent this time. People might get sick of me. ;)

Actually, LeChuck punched Guybrush around the island in Secret of Monkey Island and was pretty brutal to Mr. Threepwood with a voodoo doll towards the end of LeChuck's revenge.

Favorite villain would be a toss-up between Olivia and the giant squid/octopus. Olivia because she killed Salvador, and that was personally the most villainous act in the game to me. And I just liked the sea critter.

I agree with Naomi about liking Domino more than Hector. I think it'd because you have much more interaction with Domino throughout the game, so you know the character's subtletys and have a greater understanding of his personality.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived