Home

Kotor 2 Special Edition

HerbieZ

In my opinion though, I would not place blame on OE, but rather LA, pushing a deadline is what created roughly cut content.

I know that the blame lies with Lucas Arts, but I think Obsidian Entertainment could have been more adamant about the fact that K2 was not finished. It seems to me that Obsidian Entertainment could have - at least once - told Lucas Arts to "back off, it's not done yet!"

Yes, I know there were contracts... but even still, Obsidian Entertainment shouldn't have let Lucas Arts bully them into releasing a game that really damaged Obsidian Entertainment's reputation as a game development company. Lucas Arts will recover from K2, but Obsidian Entertainment is still in the sh*thouse with me.

Despite all that a solid game was still made, with a few plot points left hanging, but overall the game still felt like a complete game.

Hmmm... do you really think so? I'm not trying to be a smart@ss here. Really. I simply always felt that K2 was incomplete as I bought it from the store. The game had several game ending glitches in it, was buggy as hell, and TO ME didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense once you get back to the Jedi Enclave with the masters. Every subsequent thing that happens in game after that makes no sense to me.

I just never felt that K2 was a solid game as is from the store, so if Lucas Arts/Obsidian Entertainment were to make a Special Edition game of K2, like what was done with Fable: The Lost Chapters, then sure --- I'd be on that like white on rice! :lol:

Obsidian Entertainment shouldn't have let Lucas Arts bully them into releasing a game that really damaged Obsidian Entertainment's reputation as a game development company. Lucas Arts will recover from K2, but Obsidian Entertainment is still in the sh*thouse with me.

Well, didn't they still manage to win "CRPG of the year" with KotOR2? Not that I disagree with you, though. I just don't think Obsidian's reputation is shot because of it. And I don't think any particular ill will towards Obsidian, since I agree any blame lies with LA. But might be right that Obsidian could have pushed a bit more, but I don't think a new company working on their first project can do that - the risk could be that they're never hired to do another game. Sure, they might get a bad reputation in the gaming community for released a bugged or unfinished game, but it's still publisher who pays for having the game made, and they tend to care more about the schedule...

Hmmm... do you really think so? I'm not trying to be a smart@ss here. Really. I simply always felt that K2 was incomplete as I bought it from the store. The game had several game ending glitches in it, was buggy as hell, and TO ME didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense once you get back to the Jedi Enclave with the masters. Every subsequent thing that happens in game after that makes no sense to me.

Pretty much how I felt the first time too, yes. It was a great game until you meet with the jedi council about 70% or so through the game, and then it takes a sharp turn to the left at the end from there, while you go WTF?!? Well, I did, at least...

And I don't think that cutting a game like that should not be rewarded with more of my money. I'd dearly love to see all this stuff restored, but just on principle I won't pay for a game a second time, which should have been completed the first time around. Because I feel that it would set a very unfortunate precedent, where the gaming companies will sell us incomplete games the first time, and then complete them for a second release, effectively doubling the price for any game. That principle already seems firmly established on the dvd market ever since the LOTR exteded dvds. I don't want that in the gaming industry - the games are pricey enough already.

---Because I feel that it would set a very unfortunate precedent, where the gaming companies will sell us incomplete games the first time, and then complete them for a second release, effectively doubling the price for any game. That principle already seems firmly established on the dvd market ever since the LOTR exteded dvds. I don't want that in the gaming industry - the games are pricey enough already.

True... but as I am such a fan of KotOR, I would most probably spend the money on a Special Edition if it were released. Not that I want to, mind you. I'm not rich by any means! But, I would be willing to shell out the money for a complete game of K2, if for nothing else than to see the game as intended.

While I do enjoy playing K2 (XBox - I haven't ever completed a K2 game on the PC - yet! :lol: ), I still feel as if I were cheated in the way the game is so completely screwed up. I would love to see the game as Obsidian Entertainment intended it to be. That would most definitely rock. :thumbsup:

More logically, they would release a Special Edition of KotOR once the entire trilogy is done, have one huge box set. It would be weird for the only SE to be for TSL anyways. And I doubt GL would bother with it, since he hasn't closed down Team Gizka's TSLRP (yet).

A SE would be lovely.

We get the character confrontation scene back!! :3

And since Female Exile is kinda canon we can finally have a canon story of the perv mical getting butchered by Atton like a squealing pig in the slaughterhouse.

Oh, lovely to get a more "Ending" type ending to the game, and HK's factory.

I know that the blame lies with Lucas Arts, but I think Obsidian Entertainment could have been more adamant about the fact that K2 was not finished. It seems to me that Obsidian Entertainment could have - at least once - told Lucas Arts to "back off, it's not done yet!"

Yes, I know there were contracts... but even still, Obsidian Entertainment shouldn't have let Lucas Arts bully them into releasing a game that really damaged Obsidian Entertainment's reputation as a game development company. Lucas Arts will recover from K2, but Obsidian Entertainment is still in the sh*thouse with me.

After all is said and done, you can't really place the blame solely on either LA or OE, although I don't believe OE is in a position to demand more time. LA is guilty of really pressing a time crunch, but OE is also guilty of probably biting off more than they can chew, and probably the most important to them... not cleaning up their mistakes better :xp:. Perhaps I'm just biased towards LA, because I used to play SWG and it is my opinion that the fault of that game going downhill is moreso the fault of LA than SOE in that case. However, as is the case of all cooperative projects both companies have their fair share of faults.

I just never felt that K2 was a solid game as is from the store, so if Lucas Arts/Obsidian Entertainment were to make a Special Edition game of K2, like what was done with Fable: The Lost Chapters, then sure --- I'd be on that like white on rice! :lol:

Don't worry I doubt anybody tries to be a smart***, and certainly I wont feel you're trying to be one just for presenting a counter point. However, when I first played the game all the way through, sure some things I certainly didn't understand completely. But personally I never understand a game completely on the first playthrough, and I honestly didn't feel like I was missing a huge chunk of information. Some of the minor things that looked odd to you, I dismissed with my own conjectures about what could have happened and I like that. I like when certain things are left up to the players imagination. Only when I dug through the files and when people started discussing all the cut content on the boards, did I realize how much was left out. However, I don't feel it left a significant gap, some things like the droid factory, were missing completely, but that was a side quest IMO and not going to destroy the overall story. Other things that were left out was the alternate ending, so that being that it was a completely different ending so it really has no bearing on how the game turned out. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I feel that even with everything that was left out, there was still enough content for me to feel like it had it's own plot and story and it was enough to be "complete" for me.

Archived