Home

Damn Orphans...

Master Kavar

I'll admit I've asked this question before, but now I actually know a little more about what I'm talking about so I figure it warrants a new thread. My question is about editing dialogue files.

I wanted to play around a bit and edit some existing conversations, so I extracted it with the KOTOR Tool and made my changes, only to find that they no longer worked correctly. I tried this a couple of times with different files, but always the same result.

Then I tried loading the files into dlgeditor_227 and discovered that all the problems were being caused by "orphans", breaks in the conversation that didn't show in the KOTOR Tool editor. Now even though I can see them now, it is a lot of work to fix them, especially with an NPC like Bastila.

Now am I doing something incorrectly that is causing all these orphans to appear? Is there a better way to do this?

Well here's an example:

Parent node

-sub node<--let's say you delete this!

--sub sub node<-this one

--sub sub node<-this one

--sub sub node<-and this one will be orphaned because you just took it's parent away from it, so it's like a child when you take it's parent away from it I doesn't know where to go so it gets orphaned!:D

Now am I doing something incorrectly that is causing all these orphans to appear? Is there a better way to do this?

If you are using KOTOR Tool to play around with TSL dialogues then thats your problem right there. Fred's tool doesn't like working with TSL dialogues and Fred has already said he wont be fixing it to work with them.

Extract them with KOTOR Tool then use TK's dialogue tool to do your work on them. That should fix the pronlem.

Archived