Home

New Less technical Names for moves in Enhanced

JRHockney*

After Maxstate's successes in explaining the saber system using easier terms, I figured that its time to make some final decisions on simpler names for the Enhanced moves. I want to get any bodies ideas who know the system well. Anyone who has posted ideas on this matter before welcome to post the same ideas again or modified. I'll leave this mostly to the community to decide this since I'm mostly indifferent to it atm. Post away.

I guess I don't understand how an attack fake is an power attack. Power attack doesn't seem to make sense as to why it changes attack directions.

Also, I guess I'm a bit confused since your useage of Riposte and Parry/block seems to be different from the wikipedia fencing entries on the subject. :)

Block (where you just position the saber to block an attack)

Parry (where you can immediately follow through with a riposte, or counter-attack or maintain your defense)

Attack parry = push parry, Pparry, something that implies a strong parry that bats away the opponent saber

Wind-up fake = fake

Attack fake = feint

Block-swing/swing-swing transitions = combos

Slow bounce = recoil

Heavy bounce = stun

Bounce conversions = criticals -- stumbles, disarms, and knockdowns, basically what you can do when opponent is really off-balance

I guess I don't understand how an attack fake is an power attack. Power attack doesn't seem to make sense as to why it changes attack directions.

Derived from it solely doing more damage.

Also, I guess I'm a bit confused since your useage of Riposte and Parry/block seems to be different from the wikipedia fencing entries on the subject. :)

True, I never said I was an expert at these things. I never said I was right, I only said that using these words helped people understand it better.

Mandatory :) : :).

Your player autoblocks and the "parries" don't always result in criticals.

Ok...using this set of terminology to make rationalizations for the current system...*Pulls BS out from where the sun don't shine*

Recoil: Reorienting yourself and regaining your balance.

Stun: When you've overreached so much and are so off-balance that you can't recenter yourself.

Now that that's out of the way, defining Block, Parry, and Pparry:

Block: When you block (which is the auto-block), you're putting your blade in the path of the opponent's blade to protect yourself. The opponent won't have to recoil to regain balance in pressing the attack.

Parry: When you parry, you're trying to deflect the blade in a circular motion to try to force the opponent off balance, in an attempt to create an opening for a riposte (counter-attack). A series of parries will eventually make the opponent try to regain his balance (the recoil).

Push parry: A Pparry uses much more force than a regular parry to not only deflect but bat away the opponent's blade, so the opponent has to recoil to reorient himself. Hence a regular parry won't cause recoil until the opponent is somewhat off-balance, while a Pparry will cause a recoil because of the sheer force of your deflection.

Criticals won't occur unless the opponent is very off-balance. In this instance parrying/Pparrying will stun the opponent because it's really hard for him to recenter himself, allowing you to disarm him, knock him down, or make him stumble. If the opponent is extremely off-balance (balance meter maxed out) then you can easily critical with a parry or attack.

Hmm...Overfilling the balance meter (or critical meter if you want to call it that) happens when you receive an unparried swing or any kind of parry, right? I've always been kind of fuzzy about how that works.

Not quite. It happens when you swing too much and they dont parry you at each level of your mishap bar. Overfilling should be pretty rare since you if you do get parried at a higher mishap level, you should go into what ever mishap is of that level and your meter should go down to what ever that last mishap level was. For example, if you get parried in heavy bounce level, you'll heavy bounce an the your meter will reset to the slowbounce level. Its kind of weird that it works the way it does, because technically, unless they didnt parry a thing in 6 or so swings, you shouldn't hit the overfill mark. I wish there was a way where you could parry them without causing a mishap at higher levels and making their bar go down.

If you parry someone, there is a 50% chance that it will cause the appropriate bounce/heavybounce/mishap for their current level. So, even if the defender parries every attack, it's still possible for the attacker's balance bar to overflow.

A 50% chance? I didnt even know that. Great, more randomness. I must say I've never been a big fan of things where luck is a potential determining factor. It often takes away from your victory or defeat since it could have been based partially on luck. Since mishaps can be a major determining factor in a fight, its not too hard to lose a fight do to "luck."

A 50% chance? I didnt even know that. Great, more randomness. I must say I've never been a big fan of things where luck is a potential determining factor. It often takes away from your victory or defeat since it could have been based partially on luck. Since mishaps can be a major determining factor in a fight, its not too hard to lose a fight do to "luck."

Although I'd like to see this changed somehow, I'm off topic more or less. Anyways, I like the potential names thst are coming out of this as well.

Archived