Home

I need a shoulder to lee-eeen on!

Troopr-Undr-Fir

Ok, so my computer was shipped and I got it set up and what not, works great. But I have a question.

Now I've never used any wireless networking technology before, and evn then I thought I figured it out. But I had an 802.11g PCI card as one of my specs when I was creating my computer. It's in there, snug as a bug. Then I got a Linksys 802.11g router. I'm going to be sharing broadband with two computers. The old one is connected via eithernet cable to the router (#1 port) and then the router is connected via eithernet cable to the cable modem. they both look in working order, and the computer that is hooked to the router with a cable gets internet access. But I can't get the new computer in the other room to find any wireless networks. I hit refresh I don't know how many times. And all it tells me is that it's not connected, but it's firewalled. I open the case and there are no extra plugs to connect anything to the mother board or anything. yet still not connected. I trobleshooted, but it keeps asking if I have the latest drivers installed. and I didn't, but the only thing I know is the product is an MTG Wireless G PCI card. so I have no Idea.

Please help :(

Well give this a go, my connection was a bit screwy until i plaed around with the settings.

With the comp connected to the router by ethernet, go to the router's settings page. Its usually as simple as typing 192.X.X.X in ie/firefox, but check ur manual. Then go to the page with all settings for the network u set up. You should have already set up the network name, network authentication, data encryption as well as the network password. It may also be that you have your network currently hidden so that the only way you can connect to it is if u are lookin for that network in particular. You may be able to turn off this setting here.

Anyway under your network connections, go to properties for your wireless network connection (on ur comp. with wireless). Go to wireless networks and make sure the "use windows to configure.." is ticked. Also down the bottom add a preferred network. Use the setting u retrieved from the above. Also make sure u click the connection tab and check the box that connects automatically.

Than wait. If that doesnt work i'd recommend updatin drivers.

We had to call tech support of our ISP to get wireless set up on our computer, but we pretty much just had to set up/configure the wireless connection on my laptop. Our wireless router is password protected, too, since we don't feel like sharing our dirty little secrets with others. We had to set that up as well in windows.

Tech support was actually quite helpful on this stuff.

Archived