Home

Bully - "Columbine Simulator"

swphreak

Ok not really, but I find it quite entertaining. Here's some stuff about the game for people who are undecided or interested.

The game starts out like any of the GTA games would, the credits roll and an intro movie plays. Heck, the entire game is essentially GTA: Schoolyard Style (minus the killings, sex, and drugs).

You start out as Jimmy Hopkins, and your parents dump you off at Bullworth Academy while they go on a year long honeymoon. You meet up with Principal Crabblesnitch, and are told to be a good boy. You're pretty much free to do as you wish within Bullworth. Classes are at 9:30am and 1:00pm. I'm not 100% sure if you HAVE to attend to progress through the story, but you unlock skills that are actually helpful. For example, as you pass Chemistry classes, you can use your chemistry set in your bedroom to make firecrackers, stink bombs, ect.

Each class is a little minigame of its own. Here's a rundown off the top of my head:

Chemistry: Pretty much like the beach party minigame in San Andreas. I'm up to Chemistry 4. I was doing fine til they threw in the shoulder buttons. Completing chemistry lets you use the chemistry set in your bedroom.

English: Word Scramble (at least so far). I managed to pass English 2. GITFHS - how many words can you get from that in 2 minutes? As you complete the class, you get better at communicating. You can make peace with bullies easier, or get better taunts and deter potential bullies.

Art: I can only describe it by comparing it to Jezzball. Your objective is to reveal the picture by making squares. You have to watch out for "enemies" (a la balls in Jezzball) as you outline the squares. As you pass art, you can kiss girls and get better health bonuses.

Shop: I haven't even passed the first class yet. Your objective is to do whatever the screen tells you to. What's throwing me off is when it tells me to move the joystick in a circle. I did some searching at various forums, and they all say to start with the stick down, then circle. I'll have to give that a try next time. Don't know what I get for completing shop. I'm assuming because I'm working on a bike, I get said bike at the end of class? Perhaps if I pass shop, I get to drive the car? There a section in the manual for vehicle controls and bike controls separately. Update: Yeah, start down, then rotate, and I unlocked a basic BMX bike. Plus, I discovered I can store up to two bike in the garage.

Gym: Gym 1 was wrestling, and you learned some new moves. Gym 2 is dodge ball, and I've yet to complete it. No idea other than that.

Photography: You can only attend photography after you find a camera. I don't know how useful this class is going to be. Class 1 unlocked the ability to save pictures.

As I mentioned earlier, you don't HAVE to attend classes, but you have to watch out for prefects and cops if you're ditching. Pulling the fire alarm buys you some time.

As you walk through the courtyard, a bully starts messing with you. You can be a pansy and try to make peace with him, or just kick his ass. If you start fighting, the trouble meter will start to fill, and prefect will be on the lookout for you. There are places you can hide in - trash bins or lockers. If you're in town and causing trouble, you'll have to deal with the cops.

The foot controls will feel very similar to the GTA games, but I think it's been improved somewhat. Since there aren't any guns, most of the fighting will be hand to hand. As you progress through the game, you can unlock more moves. Visit the crazy hobo near the school to learn some moves.

You won't be exploring the nearby town til you get to Chapter 2, which is where I'm currently at.

I give the game a 4/5. If the days were a tad longer, I would have given it a 5/5, but as it is, I kinda feel rushed sometimes. At $40, I think it's worth it. I'm having loads of fun pulling pranks and exploring the town.

I didn't go into detail about other characters or the student groups. That's something I'll let you guys find out on your own if you pick up the game.

Archived