Home

Saber combat styles...

rasdel

@UDM

A lot of games, even if FFA do not have instant respawns. Enemy Territory is a very fast, teambased desecendant of the quake3 engine where being fast and respawning fast means everything, still there's a 30 second public timer that you WILL have to wait out before you can play again.

Why? Because they saw the same problem we have right now. People spawn, can just run into their enemies and unload their clips and their FP and then let themselves be killed since they've already gotten more than enough skillpoints from damaging their opponent. Now when they respawn they can finish their opponent off if they're quick enough to find them too.

Instead of giving you another big list of games that use this formula you should think about what I said. Jedi are forced to play a tactical sim, gunners are playing Quake3 with lightsabers. Think about it.

Why is this fair? Why is this even here?

Are we really so vain that we don't want to sacrifice a part of the game's overall speed to create a better game?

Bolded the keyword. We're talking about JKA right now. 30 second respawn won't do jack **** because the maps weren't made for such features. Siege, maybe, but not any of JKA's default FFA maps. And come on let's face it, most people hate waiting. It's going to be one of those features that you'll add in and people will say "remove it please! waiting sucks!"

I mean if you want to add a respawn timer for modes like CTF, by all means go ahead. Just don't be surprised when people start wondering what's the rationale for doing so. Seriously, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. We have more urgent issues at hand right now like fixing the force powers/guns skill points exploit

I understand the issue at hand, but this isn't the way to solve it. I'm sure there are better alternatives that we haven't thought of

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bolded the keyword. We're talking about JKA right now. 30 second respawn won't do jack **** because the maps weren't made for such features. Siege, maybe, but not any of JKA's default FFA maps. And come on let's face it, most people hate waiting. It's going to be one of those features that you'll add in and people will say "remove it please! waiting sucks!"

I mean if you want to add a respawn timer for modes like CTF, by all means go ahead. Just don't be surprised when people start wondering what's the rationale for doing so. Seriously, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. We have more urgent issues at hand right now like fixing the force powers/guns skill points exploit

I understand the issue at hand, but this isn't the way to solve it. I'm sure there are better alternatives that we haven't thought of

Versus

Instead of giving you another big list of games that use this formula you should think about what I said

Do those games have hybrid classes? Do those games offer the complexity of OJP? Do those games start off with the intention of just changing the saber combat system? Are those games in any way similar to OJP?

Anyway, I'm just offering my views. I don't really care for FFA, as most of you probably already know, but if you still insist on having it your way...meh I say

UDM leh, you have to understand that I'm not pushing this to get people annoyed by waiting before they can play again, I'm simply trying to find a way to get OJP to harness the adrenaline-pumping gameplay that comes with valuing your life.

Lets just try it.. if we don't like it you can all say I'm teh sux and we can revert back to quake3 fest :p

I know, an LMS mode would be good. That's why I like Doom 3. But I do not wish to see a timer implemented into FFA. That way, we get more choices in game modes. People who don't want such a fast pace eg. Max can play LMS, while others who just want an all out fragfest with a touch of adrenaline can carry on with FFA

That's my point lar!

I'm all for a last man standing option. That would be a fun option and maybe get a few more MB players here from time to time.

Does the mishap meter of your opponent increase when you execute a succesful Attack Parry on him or does it only happen with normal Parry Blocks?

I think it goes back to the next lower level of mishap if you attack parry them

Why not just make an option to adjust the amount of waiting time before respawn?

I think it goes back to the next lower level of mishap if you attack parry them

that sucks but I guess it's reasonable since you instantly get slow-bounced after getting APed.

A little suggestion:

-increase the Mishap damage of Makashi

that sucks but I guess it's reasonable since you instantly get slow-bounced after getting APed.

A little suggestion:

-increase the Mishap damage of Makashi

yeah if it went up, no one would really have any good reason for trying normal parries since they could just do attack parries constantly and still send their opponents mishap bar through the roof.

I've actually thought about increasing the mishap damage for makashi, but I wasn't quite sure. Well, here's another reason for trying it :p Maybe only a point though. If razor adds these characteristics to the repository, I'll mention this to him as well.

any increase, even just a little, would be nice. After using Makashi for a long time, I realized that this style's purpose should be on 'off-balancing the opponent' more than anything else so there should be alot of focus on it's effects on the mishap bar. It's mishap damage should be large enough to see it take effect but small enough so that the player would still need to parry block frequently.

I also think that it's DP damage should be similar to Soresu but that might have a negative effect on Soresu's usefulness in the long run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightsaber_Combat

as you can see, some styles are also categorized in single forms. IMO, it was a good idea that the guys decided on specific styles instead of using the forms themselves since a single form may have multiple styles and these styles may also differ from each other.

geez...now I'm starting to sound like too much of a Star Wars fan.:sweat:

Edit: Lol :p

LMS has been added I am just waiting to commit it...not sure what for I guess in case I forget something...like I did(though that's been fixed). Oh and do we want it to say "SoandSo was the last man standing" ? Now i'm off to read Sunday comics......Garfield FTW!

LMS has been added I am just waiting to commit it...not sure what for I guess in case I forget something...like I did(though that's been fixed). Oh and do we want it to say "SoandSo was the last man standing" ? Now i'm off to read Sunday comics......Garfield FTW!

:D

I love you.

You da man!! Let the games begin!!!

hey UDM, I just thought of something. Since most of us arent close enough to you to have good ping duels (like below 300 :p) have you thought about asking Buffy? I think shes in Japan, and you both should have good enough ping for dueling.

Sorry this post will derail the thread a little, but I think we've answered most of the prior questions already

There's just one thing that really annoys me about OJP, and that's marketing. I find it sad that everyone's contributed a lot, especially our project head Raze, but it's not getting the recognition it deserves. And with Lucasarts idiots not distributing JKA anymore...well that's just sad. I mean come on even id software is still selling Quake 3 today

Sorry for rant. Just very angry at this world dominated by corporate morons and incompetent nincompoops

That'd be great!

Actually I was thinking, would it be possible if we had a chat with Lucasarts representatives and spoke to them about releasing a Gold edition of Jedi Academy, with all the best mods around including JA+, MB2, and all the best models out there, and of course OJP?

That'd be great!

Actually I was thinking, would it be possible if we had a chat with Lucasarts representatives and spoke to them about releasing a Gold edition of Jedi Academy, with all the best mods around including JA+, MB2, and all the best models out there, and of course OJP?

That would be killer! Unlikely, but KILLER!! Heck have them release JO with it to since its a gold edition and everybody loves that game!

Im Girl from Japan but live in Hawaii US for now

also my PC is dead and using temp PC(not good for Game) and waiting for friend making me new Buffy's Gaming PC now

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard have big problem so cant make work my PC right now :(

Archived