Home

What should we do about Attack Parries?

razorace

Starting lightning only costs 2-3 force points, and it has the ability to knock you down or force a block. There's a reason it is the best force power, and that's because it is overpowered <_<

Sounds like I need to add an inital starting cost to lightning then. :) Bug ticket.

Grip needs work.

Bug ticket.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really think there was anything wrong with the previous attack parry implimentation. The only reason it was changed was because the pre-blocks were getting in the way of it working.

I've already gone ahead and fixed that problem by making the pre-blocks interruptable.

I don't really think there was anything wrong with the previous attack parry implimentation. The only reason it was changed was because the pre-blocks were getting in the way of it working.

I've already gone ahead and fixed that problem by making the pre-blocks interruptable.

:rock: I'll try to get that "kick the startfake" vulnerability in soon too unless you want to do it. Yeah the only downside to these is that they are a little easier to do. But that's better for noobs anyways and you dont have accidental attack parries happening every 5 seconds or overpower any move.

I think he meant attack paries.

Tapping 1 button is easier than 2 at same time.

But maybe it will be easy for us, who played hours and hours of OJP. Although for a newbie who plays for the first time, parrying is already hard as hell, so attack parrying is even more... imagine he had to tap 2 buttons... he'd need 1 month of training to perform 1 attack parry per fight...

I also liked better how it was before. Attack fakes already cause massive DP damage (the hit itself, and also the lock after), so making them even stronger because you accidently attack parry in is not a good idea. Ancient version powaaa!

After playing with the new ones for a while, I really don't think their easier anymore. They can be learned better, but its really hard to time them right and they don't interfere with any other move. Even when I tried to do them over and over, they still don't happen as much as our more recent version of attack parries do. So over all, Good change I think.

For me to hardest part is not to time it right, it's the parry itself, with all those attack fakes changing direction in the last second, I always get fooled and fail.

The thing that made it so easy before was that you didn't even have to parry properly to do an attack parry (at least it's what it seemed), you just had to time it. So now parry + timing = hard enough, especially for a newbie !

Note : If people can't understand and use the saber system properly, they'll sure prefer a ****ty/easy one than this nearly perfect and complex one.

ok, how about we try it with the timing + parry movement and see if it's too hard. If so, we could just reduce it to be just the timing of the button. :)

It's not like that already? One thing I did notice in the code and in the combat is that you can attack parry during transitions now including spins. This is ok I guess, but it might come back to haunt us later.

That's how it was before and let me explain my thoughts on it:

Pros:

-Easier for noobs

-A use for fakes

Cons:

-Easily spammable

-No downsides

-No need to worry about getting hit or getting your power attack canceled

-No need to worry about accidentally hitting someone with your power attack or doing something you don't want too.

-Only one button is used instead of two.

I think we need some kind of middleground, but whatever.

Well, the difference I noticed is:

009r: I could attack parry nearly every attack, just with a good timing, which was pretty overpowered.

009t: Far harder to parry on purpose, and attack fake spam caused unwanted parries a lot. As a result, attack fakes were pretty damn strong (with the higher DP damage and lock possibility, it was deadly.)

009u: Harder to do than 009r, easier than 009t, and nearly no unwanted attack parries. I can do one sometimes, but not everytime I try. This looks fine to me.

Archived