Home

image posting question

Du Man

what's the general lucas arts forums policy regarding image posting? Can you direct link a picture using the "", or must you put it in a thumbnail or just the address of the image? Is it okay to start threads that consist entirely of direct link images?

I have an idea for a thread, but I don't want to start it if it's just going to get takin down because you can't direct link images.

I don't know the official policies either, but direct linking is not a good idea unless the pic is on your own site, or you've uploaded it on Photobucket or something.

I usually make a link to the picture (which I almost always upload to Photobucket first), so that people with slow connections don't have to see them if they don't want to.

There's just a common sense policy, really. As long as the picture isn't absolutely gigantic it isn't really an issue.

And of course, host them somewhere you have control of ideally. While nobody's going to slap you for hotlinking to someone else's server, if they get all mad with you for doing so and replace the picture with something disgusting it'll be you who ends up seen at fault.

These kind of apply to pretty much any forum really.

• 4 weeks later...

The rule on my website is to use URLs only. Imageshack's 1st URL link for forums seems to be the best. A full page image,with no links to click that doesn't hog your bandwidth.

PS for posting videos, use Tinypic. You get 100Mb filesize limits, for free, without signing up! I have posted lots of vids, and they are still up a year later. The only thing I dislike about Tinypic is that they changed their player. It used to have a nice, mature looking brushed steel look, but now it's really childish and multicolored. Maybe most of their users are 11 year old girls...

Archived