Home

Things I think would make SWG better

Tommycat

I like SWG. But... lets face it... There's a reason I recently quit.

I'll start with things I think they have right. After all it is a good game.

Character creation: You make yourself and your avatar look however you want. You aren't pigeonholed into a few generic archetypes. You aren't forced to look almost identical to the next human.

Housing and cities: There is a real sense of building a home for yourself and your guild. You take pride in how it looks and what decorations you add to it.

Space Combat: Excellent control of your ships. Customization options abound for the operation of your ship. You can change your equipment to suit your tastes.

The planets: There are enough planets to make it interesting.

Now things I was personally dissatisfied with.

Space isn't big. All the space zones feel tiny. Hyperspace is an instant load screen to the next tiny space zone. Make them larger and add a hypering zone where you can be in hyperspace talking with passengers.

Instant travel. There are too many easy instantaneous travel methods. Shuttles from planet to planet should take longer than launching into space, hypering to the planet system, and landing. It's even worse if they have a starter ship. Then all they have to do is click on the destination, and 1 load screen later they are there. No need to seek out a professional pilot. Heck there's no need to even know how to fly. Make the shuttle wait until 50% filled, and then launch. take away the hyperspace ability of the starter ship.

No Criminal element. Smuggling is a joke in SWG. There's nothing to smuggle, no way to avoid getting attacked, and extremely little reward. You can't join a criminal faction. You are limited to either rebel or imperial. Neither of which really interested me. Give us something to smuggle for the community(spice, rare animal DNA, extremely high quality resources, transport between servers...).

TOO MANY JEDI!!! Need I say more on this one?

Guest DarthMaulUK

The dev team are working on things right now and space will be getting a revamp. I do feel sorry for the smuggler. There was a time, when they were needed to make spices, slice weapons and much more and i am hoping that they will look at that and maybe re-introduce some of those elements.

Travelling. When the game launched, you had to wait upto 15 minutes for a shuttle. Too long, especially if you (like me) login just for an hour during lunch to carry out some little bits of work. So the current set up is cool. And players should be allowed to travel freely, as you would do this if you owned a ship.

Jedi. Well, nothing you can do about that apart from become a Bounty Hunter..hehe

I agree with the instant traveling.....they should increase the time to at LEAST 5 minutes, and if you want to travel to another system in your own ship, you should have to go the route the ticket transports go or launch into space.

• 3 weeks later...

As a smuggler, I have to agree with this. It would be nice if they made some planets forbidden to rebels/imperials. In order to get there you have to get a smuggler to take you there. Dath comes to mind since neither rebs nor imperials were allowed(in canon) to go there. They really do need a criminal faction(maybe also make corsec a real faction too so there is another side).

Yeah 15 minutes is a bit unbearable. But 5 minutes is fine. And if I remember correctly, there were no player shuttles, nor vehicles when it first came out. So it was either walk for 30 minutes, risking death, or shuttle wait for 15. But you met a lot of people waiting at the shuttles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the pre-cu fans that sees no good from the NGE, but the biggest strength that pre-cu had was everyone had a purpose, and there was always a large number of people who could provide the services. Now a few classes don't need anyone else, some classes are un-needed, and some are required. Personally, I would say that the trader had it the worst. Followed closely by the smuggler.

Jedi... there should have always been a cap on the total number of active jedi. But Pandora's box has been opened, so there is nothing that can be done(save permadeath and becoming glowy for jedi)

Now things I was personally dissatisfied with.

Space isn't big. All the space zones feel tiny. Hyperspace is an instant load screen to the next tiny space zone. Make them larger and add a hypering zone where you can be in hyperspace talking with passengers.

Personally I could care less about space, so I can't comment on it.

Instant travel. There are too many easy instantaneous travel methods. Shuttles from planet to planet should take longer than launching into space, hypering to the planet system, and landing. It's even worse if they have a starter ship. Then all they have to do is click on the destination, and 1 load screen later they are there. No need to seek out a professional pilot. Heck there's no need to even know how to fly. Make the shuttle wait until 50% filled, and then launch. take away the hyperspace ability of the starter ship.

No Criminal element. Smuggling is a joke in SWG. There's nothing to smuggle, no way to avoid getting attacked, and extremely little reward. You can't join a criminal faction. You are limited to either rebel or imperial. Neither of which really interested me. Give us something to smuggle for the community(spice, rare animal DNA, extremely high quality resources, transport between servers...).

TOO MANY JEDI!!! Need I say more on this one?

Well I believe ITV's were given out during a NGE chapter release - no idea i wasn't playing then. And at release shuttle times were 10 minutes and not 15.

Too many jedi is from the NGE making it a starting profession. But it never has bothered me.

As DMUK said, smugglers lost most of their cool abilities and were given the ability to check to see if a BH is after you - I don't believe that to be a fair trade. The devs couldn't promote their GCW if they added a third faction.

Archived