Home

Genetics...

SithRevan

I think the difference between antibiotics and gene therapy is that antibiotics is a temporary solution. When you decide if someone should get a disease or not, rather than just curing the disease, its just not right.

Hm. I don't know. Somehow, I'm not so certain I want cancer. I mean, I can see its postive points, yeah, but, well, it has some bad side-effects...

However, it does bring up another fear. Over-Evolution. Evolution creates the "fittest" species, but if a race adapts quite well in one enviroment, and then a brand new enviroment happens...that race is, well, a goner. One theory on why the dinosaurs died was because they adapted so much to the regural world that when the asteriod came and changed the climate of man, the dinosaurs could not surivie, as none had the genes that allowed them to adopt to the cold.

Could the same thing happen here? We modify our genes so that we adapt solely to this one enviroment, but when, um, a brand new disaster comes in and changes the whole enviroment to be hostile towards us, we'll all die off? If we did not modify the genes, then some of us, without the modifed genes, could surivie the disaster.

I think we will eventually modify our genes. The only thing I am arguing is that gene modification is not bad, but neither is it good. It just, well, is. We're still going to try and save lives, we're still going to succed, and we're still going to fail. When you wipe out death, then I'll start the protest marches, but until then, there is little to worry about.

It will save lives, but antibiotics save lives and we don't call that "Playing God" nor do we see it as "Oh My God! We are becoming Immortal!"

We don't call use of antibiotics 'playing God' because these drugs don't change our genetic makeup. Antibiotics just kill bacteria.

Because antibiotics has flaws. Too much antibiotics can make bacterium become more resistant to the antibiotics in question, making them even more deadlier.

Technical note--it's incorrect use of antibiotics, rather than too much use, that contributes to antibiotic resistance. When antibiotics are prescribed for things other than bacteria it encourages local bacteria that survive to develop a resistance. If people take antibiotics for bacterial infections and take them only until they feel better, rather than completely cured, that also contributes to resistance. What happens when someone doesn't take the full course of antibiotics is that most of the bacteria die, but the strong ones survive. These strong bacteria then reproduce, making more strong bacteria that are harder to kill. You have to take the full course of the antibiotics to kill off the strong bacteria as well as the week so that they can't survive to reproduce and create resistant species.

Humor mode on:

In the interest of playing the resident b******,

Oh, you're just playing. Why the heck didn't you say that sooner? :D

Archived