Home

Linux distros...

Negative Sun

As I've mentioned once or twice my penniless, jobless and very bored self has been looking into some Linux distros with VirtualBox to try and find one I would like...

The one I've checked out the most so far is the newest Ubuntu (7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, lolz), and I love the "everything just works" philosophy, but it's not that great if you love plugins and codecs and such I've noticed.

Next on the hit list to check out is Kubuntu cause though I'm quite pleased with the GNOME environment in Ubuntu I wanna know what KDE is all about.

After that there's Linux Mint, Fedora and Sabayon (maybe) to check out because they promise to have more fancy stuff with them with more codecs and plugins etc...

Anyone using/used any of these? Any thoughts at all?

Next on the hit list to check out is Kubuntu cause though I'm quite pleased with the GNOME environment in Ubuntu I wanna know what KDE is all about.

With you there, bro. KDE is easier to get used to for Windows users and runs much smoother and faster, at least on my lameass PC, as compared to GNOME. GNOME is rather decent, but it can hog resources. Also, KDE's next version, the awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, pure-brilliance KDE 4 strikes somewhere in December.

Kubuntu Gutsy doesn't have Compiz-Fusion built-in, though (I think) and so you'll have to install it manually, unlike Ubuntu. Also, support and help for Kubuntu is lesser than Ubuntu, but nevertheless, brilliant. I suggest you go for Kubuntu, though that's just personal preference.

It doesn't matter a whole lot as to what distro you pick in the end, though. Almost every distro is flexible enough to let you get and remove what you want. I haven't encountered any codec/driver problems in my experience of Ubuntu and Kubuntu, so there.

(BTW, if you have some extra space, patience and need to look spiffy, you can install Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Ubuntu all together, because they're all based on the same kernel :p )

How would you install them all at the same time? Do you mean by multi-booting or another (secret Linux :p ) way?

Downloaded Kubuntu, I'll give it a go once I'm finished playing around with some others...

I'm liking Linux Mint as well, though it's a bit heavier on the good 'ol resources, it does what it promises, a more complete experience and apparently it's supposed to be very friendly with WinXP if you wanted to dual-boot it (no KDE yet though, rats!)...Which might be better because OS virtualization is quite heavy on this PC (768Mb RAM = ouch!)

How would you install them all at the same time? Do you mean by multi-booting or another (secret Linux :p ) way?

Downloaded Kubuntu, I'll give it a go once I'm finished playing around with some others...

I'm liking Linux Mint as well, though it's a bit heavier on the good 'ol resources, it does what it promises, a more complete experience and apparently it's supposed to be very friendly with WinXP if you wanted to dual-boot it (no KDE yet though, rats!)...Which might be better because OS virtualization is quite heavy on this PC (768Mb RAM = ouch!)

It's a piece of cake. once you have Kubuntu installed, open up Adept and install ubuntu-desktop (and/or xubuntu-desktop). It'll bring along a ton of dependencies, which should amount upto 200-300 MB, I think. Once it's done, you boot like this:

Once you get to the login screen, look for an option called "Session" or something like that. Pick GNOME, KDE or Xfce here to choose which flavour you like best.

You should note, that you'll have tons of programs installed if you bring in multiple Ubuntu flavours. There are some guides about completely switching from one flavour to another (and blasting the first flavour) out there - I'll dig them, maybe.

I'm interested in Linux Mint too, though it doesn't make the cut for me - yet. It still looks rather incomplete, IMO. I love the way it looks and feels, though.

I see what you mean about incomplete though, I can't quite put my finger on it but it does feel as if it's lacking something...Maybe it's the lack of free games that Ubuntu does have lolz

Thanks for that info Sabre, I'll have plenty of time to play around with them cause I'll only make the jump once I get a new rig probably (or an extra HDD or something maybe)

Sabayon. I can say that because I've tried every distro mentioned in this thread other than Mint.

It installs everything during the install (I had a little problem with my Wifi, but at the time the driver for my 4965AGN was iffy, so it wasn't a Sabayon issue) unlike Ubuntu (which doesn't install graphics drivers), and comes with compiz-fusion (which I usually end up disabling since it almost Vistaizes the memory usage).

Plus, since it's Gentoo-based, it has Portage, which is miles ahead of apt in terms of being up-to-date and usability.

Sabayon. I can say that because I've tried every distro mentioned in this thread other than Mint.

It installs everything during the install (I had a little problem with my Wifi, but at the time the driver for my 4965AGN was iffy, so it wasn't a Sabayon issue) unlike Ubuntu (which doesn't install graphics drivers), and comes with compiz-fusion (which I usually end up disabling since it almost Vistaizes the memory usage).

Plus, since it's Gentoo-based, it has Portage, which is miles ahead of apt in terms of being up-to-date and usability.

Downloading Sabayon, boy it's huge (yay for no D/L cap!), but I'm already liking Kubuntu so if this has got a couple of more gigs of goodness I say bring it.

I've had KDE for quite some time (since I use linux, duh), but switched to GNOME like 7 months ago. KDE is good, but too overpowered for my liking and GNOME appears to be somewhat easier on my eyes, I'm also more of a console nerd anyway. Like with dem girls: pretty on the outside, and more than thousand opportunities underneath. :p

So does everyone who uses Linux dual-boot with Windows or another OS or is it good enough as a standalone OS?

I dual-boot here, but only because Ubuntu (switching to K today) runs slow here and because I need teh games. Not to mention that XP is a damn stable OS, and I won't deny that that.

Linux is obviously a great standalone OS, as a lot of recent distros have proven. If your needs are limited to graphic design, internets, office utilities, servers, coding, and well, anything other than gaming - I don't see why not. Wine is still a baby, though. I've heard rumours about some changes coming into the Wine code that's going to allow seamless Windows compatibility. Once/if that happens, I'm dumping my XP. :p

KDE runs just as smooth as GNOME on my system, an that's just virtualized, GNOME doesn't look bad though, but I find it maybe a tad too clinical, I like the prettiness of KDE (*gasp* shallow me!)

Yeah, I don't know why, but most people report that KDE and GNOME run equally fast while Xfce is the only uber-fast Desktop Environment. When I went from GNOME to KDE, things were like woah-omg-so-fast-its-heaven. Or well, at least, tolerable. I'll say that GNOME looks prettier, IMO - and it has, I dunno, a nice feel to it. Won't be saying that when the big 4 is out, though.

Sabayon looks interesting. I'll look into it, though I fear it's not a beginner distro (is it?) and my lack of uberskillzen will be exposed.

That equation is so convincing, it simply cannot be wrong. It's almost like the 4th absolute principle of the universe: jaymack = truth XD

I've heard rumours about some changes coming into the Wine code that's going to allow seamless Windows compatibility. Once/if that happens, I'm dumping my XP. :p
Well there will never be 100% compatibility, but it's getting better by the minute. The advance they made within the last 6 months is really impressive. Almost every program I tested at work runs out of the box now, whereas I had to adjust a couple of settings and install native DLLs and whatnot some time ago (not to mention those which did not run at all). But when I don't have to use a windows program, I don't. So at home it's just for the gaming, nothing else. But even here, especially regarding DirectX implementation, they move on insanely fast.

Although I would really love to see that game developers start to make linux ports for games, it's not that hard at all and has been done already.

I don't know why, but most people report that KDE and GNOME run equally fast while Xfce is the only uber-fast Desktop Environment. When I went from GNOME to KDE, things were like woah-omg-so-fast-its-heaven. Or well, at least, tolerable. I'll say that GNOME looks prettier, IMO - and it has, I dunno, a nice feel to it. Won't be saying that when the big 4 is out, though.
It also depends on what distribution you use, for instance SuSE's KDE was so slow, it came back out on the fast side again. With SuSE 10.2 it's better now, but their YAST/YUM implementation still is just lame shyte (it's not a "native" KDE thing). As for Debian or Ubuntu, I'd say they are actually like equal fast. Still, KDE is bigger and more powerful, thus it *can* use more resources and in that case it *will* feel somewhat slower, especially on non contemporary machines.

Sabayon looks interesting.
Indeed, it looks pretty and promising. But, *urgh*, it's standard desktop is KDE. :p

Naja, whatever, I think espeshully since jaymo is so fancy with it, I'll give it a try, and also I have yet too check a Gentoo based distro. :)

Indeed, it looks pretty and promising. But, *urgh*, it's standard desktop is KDE. :p

But it's nice enought to give you GNOME as an option as well when you install it m'man ;) (at least the DVD version does, dunno about the CD version)

Installed it on my Virtual Machine yesterday and I'm thoroughly impressed...I didn't go for any of the fancy desktop environment stuff as KDE is pretty enough for me, and it runs smooth even in a VM with only 320Mb of RAM!

And it looks like you do get absolutely everything with it, even some cool looking open source games (Flight Sim, FPS, MMO etc...)

I'll have to test drive it a bit more but it looks like we have a winner, only problem with me is the size for the full DVD install cause that means it won't fit on my measly 6GB second HDD :(

Although I would really love to see that game developers start to make linux ports for games, it's not that hard at all and has been done already.

Unreal Tournament 3 Hell Yeah. \m/ :D

As for Debian or Ubuntu, I'd say they are actually like equal fast. Still, KDE is bigger and more powerful, thus it *can* use more resources and in that case it *will* feel somewhat slower, especially on non contemporary machines.

Well, I can stand testimony to the fact that KDE is running a lot faster on my Ubuntu (now Kubuntu) than GNOME. I knew it was for real when I ran the Rain plugin in Compiz-Fusion and the rain was seamlessly smooth and much faster than before. Of course, my computer is ****, no doubt, but Kubuntu rocks for me. Now I just need to get rid of that Permissions problem bugging me... :xp:

Well, I can stand testimony to the fact that KDE is running a lot faster on my Ubuntu (now Kubuntu) than GNOME. I knew it was for real when I ran the Rain plugin in Compiz-Fusion and the rain was seamlessly smooth and much faster than before. Of course, my computer is ****, no doubt, but Kubuntu rocks for me.
Oh KDE ran really flawlessly for me, but I got sick of all the knobs and bells and settings, and I cannot say GNOME is slower or not as reactive in any way. However, to my experience it really might differ from distro to distro. :)

Now I just need to get rid of that Permissions problem bugging me... :xp:
sudo chmod o+rwx -R /*

XD

OK so I bs'd and here it goes, your own universal constant: 1.00389710898768390091809732894367575297087682199426 (The jmac'sche Zahl)

It describes the correlation of circumference length ratio, degree and depth of penetration ratio, and lust.

In other news, I have downloaded Sabayon and maybe by tonight I'll check it. But before that I have to finish to backup my system, since I am about to switch my filesystem.

Archived