Home

Crysis Counselling Available Here

Astrotoy7

Oh, and I forgot to ask you how much RAM Crysis uses. I took note a while back that you mentioned that Crysis performs better with Vista64 and this seems to be the general consensus. With DDR2 as cheap as it is right now, going to 4GB might provide another performance boost.

EDIT1: And yay! Here's Anandtech's review of the recently released ATI HD 3870 and HD 3850. Let the price wars begin! :)

EDIT2: And it's what I expected. Some, but not much improvement in performance over the HD2900 but daaaamn: look at the truly gigantic improvement in power consumption! Way to go, AMD! :thumbsup:

i'm running 2GB, and i haven't noticed much in the way of my hard drives getting paged during gameplay. i did a small experiment and removed 1GB of the RAM, and it did seem that the hard drives were getting paged much more frequently. however, there wasn't a really noticeable difference in the framerate. that could have something to do with the speed of my hard drives, though. load times were much, much longer, though. with 2GB, load times are about 15-30 seconds. with 1GB, load times are around 30-40 seconds.

as for 64-bit vs 32-bit, Crysis doesn't give you too much of a performance boost (its around 5-10%), but hitching and hard drive paging is almost non-existant on 64-bit.

i hope that answers a couple of questions. :)

thanks for the info stinger.... I havent experienced the dropout issues you mentioned on my 8800GTS but I DO get it on another rig with a shyte ole 6200TC running vista. It did the same thing when it had a 6600 as well.

On that rig, an off the shelf compaq the ladies use - it had more to do with the mainboard chipset than the gfx card itself. Chipset driver update and the relevant nvidia hotfixes did the trick :)

FW 169.04, along with the very important "essential vista" hotfixes have gotten rid of the few niggly glitches, including for some of the "xp only" games that were having difficulty.... I wonder what KOTOR would do ??? :p Ive never played lightside on KOTOR2...might give it a go.

I have to admit - MS have done a great job on the x86 emulation for us x64 fans. Using a x64 is usually an alienating experience - like xp64 - but not the case in Vista.

When I get crysis, I'll stick to medium settings... 1280x1024 looks like monkey smearings across 30" of luscious screen. It would defeat the purpose of such a screen!! 1920x1028 at medium it will have to be for me :D

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...

need help running Crysis?? then get teh patch. its supposed to help performance in general in addition to a much needed performance boost to SLI/Xfire systems. get it, love it, use it.

my system tests:

Crysis 1.0x64, CPU Benchmark (Very High settings, 1600x1200x32): 14FPS (average)

Crysis 1.0x64, GPU Benchmark (Very High settings, 1600x1200x32): 15FPS (average)

Crysis 1.1x64, CPU Benchmark (Very High settings, 1600x1200x32): 21FPS (average)

Crysis 1.1x64, GPU Benchmark (Very High settings, 1600x1200x32): 25FPS (average)

its a pretty good performance increase considering that its just a patch. you'll need it if you're playing online because it introduces several multiplayer tweaks as well.

anyways, i hope that helps some of you. :)

yes, I noticed that patch, couple them with the latest nvidia/ati omega drivers and thats the closest you will get to optimised performance, perhaps :p

I havent played the full game yet - I only recently started CoD4 and am working through NWN2:MOTB... Ive been way to busy with real life stuff to game at all :(

by teh time I get to crysis, hopefully there is a GPU that can whallop it in UHD :p

mtfbwya

Archived