Home

A few questions...

jonathan7

Hey all; just quit uni so hava fair bit of time atm, so decided I would have a serious attempt at modding. Any suggestions/tutorials you think I should have a go at? First question I had a look around but couldnt find a lookup file referance for The Sith Lords... anyone know where I can find one? E.g. I want to get a hold of Bao Durr's default clothing, skin it, then add it in as armour, but at the moment its difficult sorting through TSL for a file I don't know the name of.

Edit, Ignore Bao Durr bit... found it just after I finished writing this... hehe!

Second question is a real noob question; sorry for my stupidity. I have had a search around first. For TSL, I was trying to add a custom item, I used KotOR Tool extracted the .uti, and the popped it in the override folder, but didnt work. Then I tryed just editing an items properties then stuck the same named .uti in the override folder, but that didnt work either. My question is any ideas why that didn't work? Do I have to edit a .2da file to get item editing to work?

Thanks if anyone can help! =)

Did you rename the item? If you didn't rename it... you edited a that item and it changed that particular one... ok... what I mean is, if you edited Bao_Durs_Remote.uti then you didn't change it to say bao_durs_freakin_awsome_remote.uti, then that would change Bao_Durs_Remote.uti ((btw I don't think that's a real .uti file, it's been a while since I've modded)) But if you did and didn't add a script to spawn it somewhere you'll have to use the cheat console... and type in 'give itemname'

Hey all; just quit uni so hava fair bit of time atm, so decided I would have a serious attempt at modding. Any suggestions/tutorials you think I should have a go at? First question I had a look around but couldnt find a lookup file referance for The Sith Lords... anyone know where I can find one?

Well... It depends on what kind of modding you're interested in getting into,

the way I, (and probably others) see it modding can be split in to 2 categories.

Aesthetics: Skins, models etc...

and

Technical: Scripts, dialogs etc...

(I used technical for want of a better word...)

There are also mods that combine both,

Such as new area mods where you need scripts and dialogs etc. as well as using skins and new models to make it more unique.....

This thread by T7 has LOADS of tutorals listed to get you started with both types of modding.

Also there are lots of tutorials in the tutorial section at the top of the Holowan Labs Main Forum Page.

-DarthDingDong

Edit: Oh and the file reference, theres an extensive list of all items and area names/tags for K1 Here and one for TSL Here

Did you rename the item? If you didn't rename it... you edited a that item and it changed that particular one... ok... what I mean is, if you edited Bao_Durs_Remote.uti then you didn't change it to say bao_durs_freakin_awsome_remote.uti, then that would change Bao_Durs_Remote.uti ((btw I don't think that's a real .uti file, it's been a while since I've modded)) But if you did and didn't add a script to spawn it somewhere you'll have to use the cheat console... and type in 'give itemname'

Sorry I must not of sufficiently articulated myself. I edited the Force Pike; turned it into an Echani Energy Staff (that was the name I gave it), edited the history changed its stats, saved it, and lobbed it into my override. However having started K2 TSL, I couldnt find the weapon I had created with KSE to add it to my inventory. So then I decided to make a generic change to the force pike; so did that, although it then came up as red in KSE (red being a modded item) none of the changes I had made had come into effect. So I was wondering do I have to edit a .2da as well as a .uti to get the changes I made to work?

Technical: Scripts, dialogs etc...

(I used technical for want of a better word...)

There are also mods that combine both,

Such as new area mods where you need scripts and dialogs etc. as well as using skins and new models to make it more unique.....

Well in the end what I really want to do is add a few surviving miners to Peragus and also perhaps a few survivors on the Harbinger (possibly skin that as well to be a bit more Event Horizonish), and put in a few more sidequests. However I think I need to start small before moving onto larger things, learn the different skills slowly then move up, if you know what I mean.

This thread by T7 has LOADS of tutorals listed to get you started with both types of modding.

Also there are lots of tutorials in the tutorial section at the top of the Holowan Labs Main Forum Page.

-DarthDingDong

Aye, I have been through them, and had a go at various ones, have managed a few skins, but need to improve my photoshop ability. Thanks for your help and the file referances. =)

Sorry I must not of sufficiently articulated myself. I edited the Force Pike; turned it into an Echani Energy Staff (that was the name I gave it), edited the history changed its stats, saved it, and lobbed it into my override. However having started K2 TSL, I couldnt find the weapon I had created with KSE to add it to my inventory. So then I decided to make a generic change to the force pike; so did that, although it then came up as red in KSE (red being a modded item) none of the changes I had made had come into effect. So I was wondering do I have to edit a .2da as well as a .uti to get the changes I made to work?

Uhhh... so did you change the item number... like okay so say the Force Pike's number was g_i_force734 and that was the highest number available so you change the number to g_i_force735... I'm not real sure what the original number is... ((The numbers are on there when you edit the item, under item description if I'm not mistaken))

Ehh... about KSE... I never use that... so I don't know, I just use the cheat menu... but maybe you actually didn't change it... maybe you thought you did, 'cause I've done that before and was about ready to jump outta my skin when it didn't work ^_^... you shouldn't have to change .2da file to get it working... just make sure you actually edited the item, by opening it back up with KT

Uhhh... so did you change the item number... like okay so say the Force Pike's number was g_i_force734 and that was the highest number available so you change the number to g_i_force735... I'm not real sure what the original number is... ((The numbers are on there when you edit the item, under item description if I'm not mistaken))

The Force Pike, is called w_melee_14 and on the description panel in KT its called; {14}Force Pike. Its Template ResReg and tag are also w_melee_14.

So I touble click with KotOR tool on it, add the extra properties and description I want and then saved it as w_melee_31 the last time I attempted it, but ingame its still just a force pike with the usual description. I used a gff editor to check that it had saved the changes I had made, and not just duplicated it; and the w_melee_31 file in my override does have the changes I made in it, but the changes arent applied in game.

In KSE did you remember to click Commit Changes as well as Apply?

You'd be surprised how many people forget to do that..........

Well, I'm only using KSE to add the item to my inventory, I'm using KT to actually modify the file.

Archived