Home

Toy Recalls

Divide&Conquer

Not sure how many of you have heard about the toy re-call recently.

There have been more then 25 million toys recalled this year. This not only affects the individual people but the non profit organizations that give toys to kids who's parents can not get toys for them other words.

Some organizations are only accepting toys made in the USA after a child was hospitalized for a chemical reaction to Aqua Dots. Turns out that a chemical on the Aqua Dots can be related to the Date Rape drug. While other companies, like local Toy Drives had to dispose of 1,800 toys and now are in desperate need to replace those toys.

Do you think the companies who put out these toys are concerned for the consumers well fair? Or are they out to make that pretty penny? Should they take more care and consideration at the products they put forward? What should toy companies do about toys they receive? Should they make it policy to check all Incoming products for any hazardous substances?

Aqua Dots have a chemical related to Ketamine!? What in the hell?

As for your questions, the answers are No, Yes, Yes, See Below, and and Yes.

It's not all that surprising, really. The FDA is slacking on their jobs, letting all sorts of drugs get approved without proper tests. I can't count the number of drugs that have been released, had a wave of illnesses or deaths in their wake, and then been recalled again, along with an influx of Ambulance-chasing lawyers. But Toy Companies need some kind of oversight. I mean, good grief, KETAMINE!?

Do you think the companies who put out these toys are concerned for the consumers well fair? Or are they out to make that pretty penny?

Privately owned companies (with few exceptions) have only one goal, to make money. How they do it dosen't really matter to them in most cases. That's how capitalism works, not that I have anything against it.

Should they take more care and consideration at the products they put forward?

Yes, not likely to happe though.

Should they make it policy to check all Incoming products for any hazardous substances?

Yes, but not going to happen because testing cost money.

Yahoo had a pretty interesting article, plus I've been reading more in the News Paper.

Group Release Guide to Toxins in Toys

Read it, let me know what you think.

It just seems like toys are just becoming more dangerous for any child, do to companies negligence, and the fact that companies outside of America don't have the same standards. Makes you wonder if the Customs should improve its inspections some how.

I'd like to see better testing for toy safety. At some point, the companies will decide that the cost of lawsuits and bad PR is going to outweigh the costs of testing for toy safety. The FDA is sorely understaffed--I don't think it's a case of them being lazy, I think it's a case of just not having enough people to check everything out there.

Archived