Home

Deadeye Duncan on Manaan restoration

Seamhainn

Hello!

This restoration is dedicated to Darth333 as she restored Deadeye Duncan on Manaan the first time. I bow to you, my lady.

This mod restors Deadeye Duncan on Manaan. I am to lazy to test it, but I guess he is spawned regardless wether the PC met him on Taris and/or dueled in the arena on Taris or not. Though the question is, why the PC should not duel in the arena on Taris :-) .

I wrote the mod from scratch, so nothing Darth333 did is implemented, as I did not get her permission. (No need to close this thread so!)

Okay, you can grab the mod from here:

http://www.embdena.de/images_beitraege/downloads/Deadeye.rar

Some things to mention:

- I corrected the bug in Duncan's dialogue.

- I wrote k_pman_duncan01 anew to make his disappearance look smoother. With the in-game file Duncan ran away irratically. He disappeares in any case now no matter the dialogue ends, so no unlimited access for DS or LS points anymore. We don't have the original source for this file so I don't know what it originally did, but there are no repurcussions to the game by not using it as far as I know.

- For modders: There is also an in-game file k_pman_duncan02. We also don't have the source for this file unfortunately. My wild guess is that this script should have been used if the PC gives Duncan the allowance to use the name Mysterio (as these dialogue exits did originally not have the k_pman_duncan01 entry to fire when spoken - I added that). But as there is no additional dialogue for Duncan I did not test it. But some modders might want to use that file. If you want to use/test it and have questions, just ask.

Enjoy and take care

Any chance you could make his appearance dependable on whether you fought (he speaks about fighting you, so it should be dependable on whether you took a fight with him or not) with him on Taris or not? Otherwise it seems really odd. If you could make this, it would be real cool restoration.

In fact, when I think about it, I think it depends on becoming a champion of the Arena. Coz he kinda talks about championship in his dialogue. "Legendary duelist" and such.

So any chance you could make his appearance dependable on whether you became a Taris Dualing Champ or not? Like somehow tie his appearance to some dialogue or journal entry that mentions you're a champ?

Any chance you could make his appearance dependable on whether you fought (he speaks about fighting you, so it should be dependable on whether you took a fight with him or not) with him on Taris or not? Otherwise it seems really odd. If you could make this, it would be real cool restoration.

In fact, when I think about it, I think it depends on becoming a champion of the Arena. Coz he kinda talks about championship in his dialogue. "Legendary duelist" and such.

So any chance you could make his appearance dependable on whether you became a Taris Dualing Champ or not? Like somehow tie his appearance to some dialogue or journal entry that mentions you're a champ?

Good argument. But I don't know the variables for being the champ in the arena. I asked around here if someone knows, but, alas, no answer (yet).

On fighting Duncan on Manaan - there is no indication that the developers intended that to happen.

Take care

Good argument. But I don't know the variables for being the champ in the arena. I asked around here if someone knows, but, alas, no answer (yet).

An easy way of doing this is with the global variable comparison tool by TK102. Just save a game immediately before the last duel, then save another one immediately after, and compare what's changed between the two.

An easy way of doing this is with the global variable comparison tool by TK102. Just save a game immediately before the last duel, then save another one immediately after, and compare what's changed between the two.

That is good advice, magnus. Unfortunately I don't have such a savegame :-) . I'll make a new playthrough when I am done with all the restoration work. Which means in about 10 to 15 years (minimum) lol ...

Take care

On fighting Duncan on Manaan - there is no indication that the developers intended that to happen.

The Global Number variable Tar_Duel keeps track of the player's progress in the Taris dueling arena. It's increased by 1 for each opponent/tier you beat, so it'll have the value 7 if the player has beat Bendak Starkiller.

Hm, now to decide at which state the pc is famous enough that Duncan would want to use his alias. Fighting/killing Bendak Starkiller gives DS points, so sissys like me would avoid that path. 6 maybe, or even 5...

And the script, the script...

void main() {
   location locMe = Location(Vector(307.0, 205.0, 8.0), 180.0);
   CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "dan26_duncan", locMe);
}

How can I make the script dependable on Tar_Duel?

Thanks and take care

Hm, now to decide at which state the pc is famous enough that Duncan would want to use his alias.

After PC beats Twitch. For sure. That is where he becomes the champion of the dueling arena on Taris. And becomes real famous. Not before. And Bendak has nothing to do with *official* championship. You may not beat Bendak, but still be the famous Mysterious Stranger - champion of the Taris Dualing Arena.

Ahem, there are actually not much differences :-) .

I only fixed one bug in Duncan's .dlg file (which was in-game, not done by Darth333!), and Duncan now walks away after the conversation ends (in a - as *I* see it - smoother way then before) no matter HOW the conversation ends (with Darth333 restoration, Duncan stayed where he was spawned and the PC could get unlimited DS or LS points, which - again - is not Darth333's fault but was in-game).

That is all. Is it worth to change the mod if you have Darth333's version? You decide :-) ! Was it worth doing the mod? I enjoyed doing it and learnd a lot!

This statement is in no way ment as an offence against Darth333, quite the opposite actually (see first post, please)!

With the in-game file Duncan ran away irratically.

Duncan now walks away

Being dark-sided, after you threat to cut Duncan open with a lightsaber, I doubt he would calmly WALK away, lol.

Maybe I'm a major pain in the ass, but could you answer a question, please? If you don't speak to duncan the first time you visit manaan, he's gonna keep on standing in this module FOREVER? Or he disappears if you didn't speak to him the first time?

Well, if you did not test it, maybe someone who tested can answer.

Being even a bigger pain in the ass - maybe you should make a trigger to make Duncan talk to you automatically (if only it isn't too much bother to do). Here's why I think so: This isn't any sidequest or such, it has a straight connection to game storyline (never imagined that a few people survived Taris), and it's kind of an important thing to mention... Usually in both KOTORs NPCs ran to you to give such news. Like "Hola Stranger, long time no see!".

I only mention if it isn't hard to do, like point a trigger. I know that no things are that easy, but if it isn't really hard anyway, maybe it's worth considering. But the way it is satisfies me anyway. I just gave it a thought that trigger might be a good idea, but it isn't nesessary.

Anyway, thanks for an awesome job you've done!

P.S. Sorry for bugging - any update on Duncan appearance - Taris arena dependance?

@Agnus: Yes, as I mentioned the developers planned for ONE other file for the Duncan conversation (k_pman_Duncan02). It might very well be that that one was intended to threaten Duncan or somesuch.

There is no indication that there was a Trigger for Duncan. But I will have a look into it. And, yes, I assume Duncan stays on Manaan for the rest of his days if the PC does not talk to him.

And, yes, I didn't find any indication that a sidequest for Duncan was ever planned. The conversation at least gives no such thing away.

Maybe I'll revisit Duncan any time soon. But for now I want to finish the Garrum and Tar'eelok Restoration first.

Thanks for asking.

I am done with the Garrum and Tar'eelok restoration. Watch out for sekan's announcement anytime soon (as it is his baby!).

My research results in regards to Duncan:

- There IS NO Creature entry for him in the .git file (and thus he must be spawned somehow - I assume depending on the outcome of the Taris arena).

- There IS a Trigger entry for him in the .git file.

- There IS a post Waypoint entry for him in the .git file.

- There IS an exit Waypoint entry for him in the .git file.

- The script is fired with the Trigger is k_pman_duncan02 (02!) which is a pretty big one (!).

- The script that fires in Duncan's dialogue at some points is k_pman_duncan01. k_pman_duncan01 makes Duncan run and then walk to the PC (!) which makes no sence at all (!) (and thus I changed that in my mod/restoration).

- A wild guess of mine is, that maybe the script that should be fired with the Trigger is k_pman_duncan01 and NOT 02. (That could also mean that Duncan was not deleted intentionally but by a bug. But that assumption has to be verified.)

Well, I have to do some sports (that is real life activity in case you don't know :-) ) before I dig deeper into that topic...

Take care all and have a nice weekend!

Garrum and Tar'eelok restoration? What's that? I know that it'll pry appear in "Taris Upper City" soon, but a few words, if you don't mind. I haven't heard these names at all. Or wait... Garrum... Garrum... Seems familiar. Refresh my memory, anyone?

Some further investigations:

- I spawned Duncan on his intended Waypoint now.

- Surprisingly enough, now Duncan initiates the conversation with his intended Trigger :-) ! This is done by k_pman_Duncan02 (not by k_pman_Duncan01 as I assumed).

- The exit Waypoint for Duncan makes still no sence as it is much to close to the Trigger and his spawning point. So k_pman_Duncan01 still makes no sence to me, and I'll stay with my rewritten k_pman_Duncan01 script at the moment.

- What k_pman_Duncan_d does I still don't know. If I implement it into his dialogue to fire it, it does absolutely nothing with Duncan (which can be seen - in-game something happens I am sure).

At this state I am not sure further investigations make an sence...

Take care

Okay, if you want you can download the (as yet) final version of Deadeye Duncan on Manaan with my first post. What you get is:

- Duncan appeares depending on the outcome of the fights in the duel arena on Taris (which one I don't tell, but as you kill Bendak anyway... :-) ).

- Duncan initiates the conversation by himself now.

I MIGHT make further investigations in the future, though I consider them pretty much useless as nothing dramatically would change. Maybe Duncan would leave via another exit point, but I don't consider it worth it with so much else to do...

I hope you enjoy it, and if there are any bugs, just tell me.

Um... Sorry if it's an offtopic, but it's REALLY AMAZING!!! THANKS!!! I've been waiting so eagerly for this! This is an amazing job, truly!

Edit: Duncan isn't running to me when I play the game. I loaded a save before visiting Manaan, and still he doesn't run/walk to me. But yeah, his appearance now depends on winning at Taris Arena - it works.

And the reason I asked you to make him talk to you automatically, is that if you won't speak to him, he'll just keep standing there FOREVER. Which seems to be pretty weird. Can someone check it out? Coz it doesn't seem to be working for me, but maybe I just screwed up my game, who knows.

Reinstalled the game, reloaded modules, came to Manaan before visiting it the first time, did everything. Re-downloaded mod two times already. Are you sure it is fixed? Anybody tested?

Hm, that is strange! Did you put all the files into your override folder?

There should be a k_pman_Duncan01.ncs file in your override folder. That is the one I wrote anew and which makes Duncan walk away like an old man.

The conversation is triggered by Duncan?

Take care

Archived