Home

(K1) Belaya's New Look

Darth Payne

I would like to request a mod that is like the mod i've put the link of at the bottom of the request.

The reason is that i've DL'd the mod several times now and nothing is where it's supposed to be, several files also seem to be missing, basically making the mod imposible to work.

At least for me.

Anyway, the two major differences between my request and this mod would have to be a uniquely new look so that Belaya does not become the twin of the PC as well as making Belaya even more powerfull as she is not much of a challenge at the moment.

Could this be done?

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Belayas_New_Look;83603

Edit: This is a collection of what i think is a couple of workable ideas from this thread, if more workable ideas are posted they will be added here for easy access.

1: I dont really like that you can talk a dark-sided Belaya into joining you without demonstrating your power. I think you should really fight her and once you have her "beaten" you would cut her lightsaber in half forcing her to surrender. Maybe she could use Force Wave like bastila does on the temple, to get a pause in the fight? You would THEN talk her into joining you because of your power with the force.

2: A script to make sure she remains on Korriban until the fight.

This is for those instances where i have visited another world first and Belaya was nowhere to be found.

Perhaps you could get Shem to make a Movie Style transition for it? Just the yellow eyes?

No. Too many characters having "Sith eyes" makes them extremely redundant. In the movies they seem so rare that only those immersed entirely in the dark side manifest them. I only like the PC, Malak, Uthar, Yuthura and Jorak to have them in the first game, and the PC and Sion in the second game. All of my other characters -- Atton, Brianna, Mira, Mical and Bao-Dur -- have their transitions completely removed. Only the main character gets "Sith eyes," that way I avoid cheapening them.

As such, Balaya does not need "Sith eyes" or any dark side transition whatsoever.

You don't need Shem to do it. Anybody could, he was just the first one who did. :p

Uh, no. Usually I can do such a thing, but only if there are skin files involved which I can edit in my photo-editing program. Shem's mod contains no skin files, and I do not know how to edit the files it it.

[narcissistic bragging]And no, he wasn't the first. I created the exact same mod for myself for The Sith Lords, only I removed completely the transitions for the NPC party characters and Colonal Tobin, while keeping only "Sith eyes" for the PC. :p Only I never released it to the public.[/narcissistic bragging]

I can speak for myself, thanks.

I don't really think my voice sounds much like Belaya's, though.

I was just trying to be funny. :xp:

Im told you have a very lovely speaking voice ;) ...And you have that voice editing program of yours.

If you felt the the inspiration to do it you could probably completely replace Belaya's dialogue with your own voice that way it doesnt seem weird or out of place?

lol.

EDIT:

I dont even mind if there isnt a voice for the dialogue - I would just like there to be the same opportunities for chatting that you get with the other characters...

No. Too many characters having "Sith eyes" makes them extremely redundant. In the movies they seem so rare that only those immersed entirely in the dark side manifest them. I only like the PC, Malak, Uthar, Yuthura and Jorak to have them in the first game, and the PC and Sion in the second game. All of my other characters -- Atton, Brianna, Mira, Mical and Bao-Dur -- have their transitions completely removed. Only the main character gets "Sith eyes," that way I avoid cheapening them.

As such, Balaya does not need "Sith eyes" or any dark side transition whatsoever.

I see what you mean.

I wonder if shem would maybe do different shades if someone asked him really nicely. Like red?

As it is I really like Shem's transitions. :)

EDIT2:

I dont really like that you can talk a dark-sided Belaya into joining you without demonstrating your power.

I think you should really fight her and once you have her "beaten" you would cut her lightsaber in half forcing her to surrender.

You would THEN talk her into joining you because of your power with the force.

No dark side transitions at all for me. If I knew how to edit them out of the existing Belaya reskin mod, I would. But unfortunately I only know how to edit picture files, and that mod does not contain that type of files. :(

If someone could tell me how to edit the files so as to remove the transitions, that would be super.

No. Too many characters having "Sith eyes" makes them extremely redundant. In the movies they seem so rare that only those immersed entirely in the dark side manifest them.
Want to know why that is? Because there could only be two Sith Lords at any given time. There were four Sith Lords in all 6 Star Wars films, three of them had at one point Sith eyes. That's a 75% ratio.

Now let's look at the KOTOR era where there are Sith Lords everywhere. There's going to be more characters with Sith eyes because of it.

It's just like lightsabers. How often did we see red lightsabers in all 6 Star Wars films? Not very often compare to blue and green blades, right? But in the KOTOR era you saw red blades everywhere.

Still redundant, in my opinion. Tyranus was a Sith for ten years at the time of Attack of the Clones, thirteen years at the time of Revenge of the Sith, yet he never exhibited any outward disfigurement whatsoever, "Sith eyes" included.

Now let's look at those at those who did have "Sith eyes" in the films: Maul had been raised in the ways of the Sith since infancy, so he never knew anything else. Vader was the Chosen One, the being with the most midi-chlorians in the universe and the highest Force potential, so it is no wonder that we saw him becoming so powerful in the dark side immediately after his fall, thus the "Sith eyes." And Sidious, for as powerful as we all know he was, did not receive "Sith eyes" until his fight with Mace, leaving him disfigured.

So, my friend, we have two extreme cases -- the (potentially) most powerful being in the universe and a freak accident -- and one case of being raised by the Sith since birth. Not exactly common, I'd say.

This is why I still say that too many "Sith eyes" in Knights of the Old Republic is a very bad thing.

And yes, the red lightsabers do get redundant as well. That why it's such a breath of fresh air when a Sith Lord with a saber of a color other than red, such a Exar Kun. It's something different and quite welcome.

Still redundant, in my opinion. Tyranus was a Sith for ten years at the time of Attack of the Clones, thirteen years at the time of Revenge of the Sith, yet he never exhibited any outward disfigurement whatsoever, "Sith eyes" included.
Sith eyes can be controlled as shown by Anakin in ROTS. Dooku probably could have had them if he wanted to, but I think because he was a public figure he hid them. If the public knew that he was a Sith Lord because of his Sith eyes, he wouldnt have been as successful as the Separtist leader; drawing system after system away from the Republic.

Why do you think I saw that 3 of the 4 Sith Lords seen in the 6 Star Wars films showned them. That's a 75% ratio. At that rate if you had 48 Sith Lords, 36 of them would have Sith eyes.

Now let's look at those at those who did have "Sith eyes" in the films: Maul had been raised in the ways of the Sith since infancy, so he never knew anything else.
You can't just say that Darth Maul - being a Sith Lord for a shorter period of time was able to get Sith eyes before his master, Darth Sidious. Sidious himself could have been a Sith Lord raised from birth too for all we know. More about why Sidious didn't have them before ROTS below.

Vader was the Chosen One, the being with the most midi-chlorians in the universe and the highest Force potential, so it is no wonder that we saw him becoming so powerful in the dark side immediately after his fall, thus the "Sith eyes."
That doesn't make sense.

And Sidious, for as powerful as we all know he was, did not receive "Sith eyes" until his fight with Mace, leaving him disfigured.
This is where your argument is flawed. Mace Windu shooting Force Lightning into Darth Sidious' face didn't give him Sith eyes. We all know that is from dark side corruption. So that's not the reason. The reason is Sidious controlled that as well. He was a public figure in the galaxy and watched by the Jedi. If he displayed Sith eyes to them, the Jedi would have figured out long before ROTS that he was the missing Sith Lord.

Now after the incident with Windu, he didn't have to hide his true nature anymore. He used the incident with Windu as a way to get symphathy from the Senate and the Republic saying the Jedi deformed him.

The reason we may never seen Sith eyes from Sidious before ROTS is because George Lucas played Palpatine and Sidious as two different characters. Sidious' nature was hidden and when we saw him as Sidious, his face was a shadow so his identity seemed a secret. Only the true die hard fans like myself who didn't get psyched out knew that Sidious was Palpatine the whole time (that debate was a can of worms by itself). Who's to know if we saw Sidious in a hologram to like the Trade Federation before ROTS didn't have Sith eyes, but couldn't see them because his face was a shadow in the hologram.

Again, it can be controlled as we saw Anakin turn them off and on in ROTS.

Being able to control them isn't the impression that I got. After all, what is the point of making one's eyes yellow? It's not like they do anything. Why would Vader decide, "Hey, I'm going to make my eyes yellow as I'm killing these guys"? You see, it just doesn't make much sense. To me, it seems to be an involuntary manifestation of the dark side when the user is immersed in it. This is what we see going on with Vader in the scene with the Separatist leaders. My argument (which you said doesn't make sense but, if fact, makes perfect sense) is this: what would seem to take most Sith Lords years to show physically, Anakin -- having the highest Force sensitivity in recorded galactic history -- did so in a matter of hours. As the Chosen One, he always had the potential to be the most powerful being in the galaxy. And, since the dark side is the "quick and easy path," we see him immediately attaining that power soon after his fall to the dark side and ordination as a Sith Lord. But, as we know, he squandered that potential by fighting Obi-Wan, which left him damaged to the point where he would never reach that level of power.

This is why we see Vader with "Sith eyes" so soon after his fall: he had the highest midi-chlorian count, and now that he was following the quick and easy path to power, he was advancing in the dark side at a much more accelerated rate than he was when he followed the light, hence the early physical manifestation of the dark side's corruption: "Sith eyes." However, the reason they appear to turn on and off like a light is because he had not yet been fully immersed in the dark side. As Padme said, there was still good in him. Did you notice that in the first scene we see him not having "Sith eyes" anymore, he also happens to be crying? It is because he knew fully well what he was doing. He had a moment of full dark side immersion, but now he was coming out of it enough for him to show a little bit of remorse, thus why the eyes disappeared and did not reappear again until the immolation scene.

In essence, they were not yet "cemented" as they may have been for Maul or Sidious, who completely lacked any shred of humanity. (I know, Maul was a Zabrak, but you know what I mean by "humanity.")

You can't just say that Darth Maul - being a Sith Lord for a shorter period of time was able to get Sith eyes before his master, Darth Sidious. Sidious himself could have been a Sith Lord raised from birth too for all we know. More about why Sidious didn't have them before ROTS below.

Exactly. And that is exactly my point: Palpatine went so long without them, as did Dooku. I think that I would agree with you that Palpatine and Dooku were using some sort of technique to prevent the corruption from showing, but I really think they were somehow blocking the deterioration altogether, and not simply masking their appearances. (Especially since George Lucas has said that the latter is not the case with Palpatine.)

This is where your argument is flawed. Mace Windu shooting Force Lightning into Darth Sidious' face didn't give him Sith eyes. We all know that is from dark side corruption. So that's not the reason. The reason is Sidious controlled that as well. He was a public figure in the galaxy and watched by the Jedi. If he displayed Sith eyes to them, the Jedi would have figured out long before ROTS that he was the missing Sith Lord.

This is not where my argument is flawed. Quite the contrary: it is where it all comes together. I know that Palpatine's disfigurations -- the eyes included -- were not the result of the Force lightning itself. Electricity would not do that to someone's face, and it did not happen to Luke, who was zapped for a solid three minutes. Dark Empire states that the dark side causes Palpatine's body to deteriorate, and his first cloned body shows the exact same type of deterioration that his birth body showed after his fight with Mace: he has exactly the same face with the exact same deformities we see in the films. This tells me that the lightning -- both his effort to unleash it after such a long time of keeping his powers hidden and the lighting being turned against him; both pumping it out and receiving it, in other words -- brought that dark side consummation he had been holding check all these years out, accelerated it, and immediately showed what would have taken years to reach that state, the eyes included.

Now after the incident with Windu, he didn't have to hide his true nature anymore. He used the incident with Windu as a way to get symphathy from the Senate and the Republic saying the Jedi deformed him.

Yes, exactly. Rather, he did not have to keep restraining the dark side's corruption of his physical from anymore for the reasons you mentioned.

The reason we may never seen Sith eyes from Sidious before ROTS is because George Lucas played Palpatine and Sidious as two different characters. Sidious' nature was hidden and when we saw him as Sidious, his face was a shadow so his identity seemed a secret. Only the true die hard fans like myself who didn't get psyched out knew that Sidious was Palpatine the whole time (that debate was a can of worms by itself). Who's to know if we saw Sidious in a hologram to like the Trade Federation before ROTS didn't have Sith eyes, but couldn't see them because his face was a shadow in the hologram.

Again, it can be controlled as we saw Anakin turn them off and on in ROTS.

This goes back to my earlier argument: what is the point of "Sith eyes," then? They really don't seem to do anything other than sit there and be... yellow. So why say, "Hey, I'm going to turn my eyes yellow when I wear this robe, cover them with my hood, and then talk to my pawns"? Do you see what I'm getting at?

Great work though, Shem. Just, if you do end up doing this Belaya reskin, could you please provide an optional version with no transition whatsoever for those who think like me?

Well, all I can say is that you obviously got your point of view set so there is no sense to keep on arguing it because you already have your mind set. I've made my point and if people want to listen, it's right there. I do however should reveal something I don't like used in debates usually.

Dark Empire states that the dark side causes Palpatine's body to deteriorate
When it comes to movie canon, don't use the expanded universe to prove a point. There is more to Palpatine's physical transformation than has been revealed. Some things have yet to be answered by the master (George Lucas) - like what is Yoda's species called?

what is the point of "Sith eyes," then?
Something about George Lucas you need to understand is that when he created Star Wars, he really wanted you to distinguish good and evil; especially by appearance. Good and evil is clearly defined in the Star Wars movies. In the OT, Lucas gave the good guys color, while the bad guys were colorless (in general), or black and white. Look at Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, the stormtroopers and the Imperial Officers; colorless. This is something he talks about in an interview sequence (three parts) in the 1995 release of the original trilogy.

Anyway, having Sith eyes distinguishes something physical about the Sith being evil; it's a symbolic look that is a physical characteristic that the person is evil. It's like why Lucas gave blue and green lightsabers to Jedi and red to the Sith. Blue is a symbol of good while red is a symbol of evil. Green got thrown in because blue didn't show up in the blue sky on Tatooine during ROTJ, or Luke's lightsaber in that movie would have been blue instead of green if that wasn't a problem and the Star Wars universe would have only known blue and red blades. Green is a direct color opposite of red which is why it was specifically chosen to be an alternate color.

Enough of my ramblings, I think this thread needs to get back on topic. ;)

Hey ganos, you mean like in the fight with Juhani on dantooine and bastila on the temple and star forge?

Yes thats pretty much what I meant.

A "I am Superior BOW to my POWER!" type thing for the PC; maybe an alternate if you are aware you are Darth Revan saying "I am the TRUE Lord of the Sith! Bow before me!"...

Sounds good.

Maybe she could use Force Wave like bastila does on the temple, to get a pause in the fight?

If you do Korriban after the leviathan the PC is aware, there is even an option with Yuthura to mention it.

But, does Belaya actually appear on korriban at that point? She seems to disappear if i do anything other than go to Korriban first so i can fight her.

Archived