Home

[WIP] Taris Teleporter

Robespierre

Okay, I think my thread needs a bump and an update.

At the moment I've got all the droids to spawn in the correct location and with more or less correct orientation (ie, not facing backwards). I am having some trouble with my .git files, since I need to learn how to inject them into the existing .rim files, but I'm getting to that.

The good news is that they all warp to the correct places (so I know that the .git files are working, I just don't know to make the game use them). The bad news is that I still have a lot of complex conditional scripts that need working on. I have got the basic idea, but from now on what I really need is time. I would estimate another week or two to get everything finalized and working 100%.

Stay tuned!

I did try that, but apparently I have to insert the .git into the main module file itself.

And don't worry, I'm not going to release it until its 100% done.

I'll release a Taris only version, and then if the reception is good enough, I might work on a similar concept for other planets, though I have other projects in mind.

I did try that, but apparently I have to insert the .git into the main module file itself.

You have to pack ALL files into the newly created .mod file. Please read the first and last post of the mentioned thread. If you need any help, just ask, and I try to help you, as I think it is a very great work of restoration.

As your idea of implementing it on other planets: I guess it is of limited avlue on other planets as they are pretty urban and seem not very "realistic" there. Though that is just my thought!

Take care

Well another quick update: I implemented the scripts which means you can't travel to the module you're currently in (thanks Swfan, it was all you:D), which would just be silly.

Unfortunately, if you install this mod, you're going to need to start a new game on Taris (so, completely before Taris, on the Endar Spire), because the waypoints won't work. You CAN still use it, and it IS useable, but it won't take you to the waypoints, it will take you to a random spot on the level.

Now all I have to do is place some triggers and more conditionals (grr which means I have to edit the .git file AGAIN) to make sure you can't travel to areas you haven't visited.

Another small point: At the moment I'm using the protocol droid as the model, but can anyone think of a better model for me to use?

This way you could even use alien VOs.

It's already got VOs. And since its a droid, it doesn't need any lipsyncs.

I always imagined it as the rakata droid, like in the dantooine ruins.

Wasn't that supposed to be a droid that hadn't been seen for 10,000 years? It wouldn't make much sense for an identical droid to exist on Taris for no reason.

Any other ideas for possible models?

Oh and originally the .utc was for a T3 droid, but that just looked stupid.

Ah, after listening to the voice files, I reckon it would be really cool to have a droid to act like the terminals on Telos. On Taris, it'd take you to the following locations:

Apartments South

Apartments North

Upper City - South

Upper City - North (I think those are the names...the two upper city modules regardless)

Lower City

Lower City Apartments

Undercity

Sewers (probably right next to the forcefield leading to the Upper Sewers)

Upper Sewers

Any other suggestions?

As far as the warping goes, see if you can't find D333s warpband. It takes you to all the places you've mentioned so far and a few you haven't.

A T3 as well as a protocol droid both make perfect sence to me. Although a protocol droid would make a bit more sence, the T3 stays closer to the "original" content. On the flipsite T3s usually don't have VO beside the beep-beep / duh-duh thingy. If there are "human" VOs for the droid, you should go with the protocol droid.

Like always - just my 2 creds...

I wasn't knocking your project, but rather pointing out that there were still other places or modules you could teleport to than the ones you listed. That's why I referenced her mod so that you could see where else it took you and decide which of those areas you might want to include as well.

Lol don't apologize, I welcome criticism. Just constructive criticism.

However, I've looked at the options and I felt that this was probably the intended list of destinations. Carth specifically rules out the Undercity, and therefore the Sewers. And it wouldn't make much sense having the droid in the middle of the Black Vulkar Base or Davik's estate, so I decided on the list:

Apartments South

Apartments North

Upper City - South

Upper City - North

Lower City

Lower City East Apartments

Lower City West Apartments

However, I've looked at the options and I felt that this was probably the intended list of destinations. Carth specifically rules out the Undercity, and therefore the Sewers. And it wouldn't make much sense having the droid in the middle of the Black Vulkar Base or Davik's estate, so I decided on the list:

And your decision was right!

The only thing left to decide is the teleporters on different planets. It kind of makes sense, but since most of the other planets are fairly A to B type planets, a teleporter system is less useful (and a rapid transit system is more useful). But Taris is much more free-roaming, requiring you to travel back and forth multiple times between modules, so a teleporter here makes sense.

But I'm open to input.

If you REALLY want my input I'd relase the Teleporter for Taris as a beta. As it was intentionally designed for Taris that would be the best approach. If it all works out fine you can decide wether or not you want to implement it on other planets (though I don't see the necessity). In TSL Nar Shaddaa had the only transporting system for example. So I'd say go for Taris...

• 1 month later...

Ah, sorry about both the bump and the double post, but I need one or two beta testers to help me out. Basically it'll take about 2 minutes to test. You'll need to start before Taris (so on the Endar Spire) and just play through a bit of Taris to check the teleporter. Basically I just want general suggestions and comments. PM me if you're interested.

Archived