Home

Where are the .skin files for the weapons?

UDM

I'm confused. I load up a weapon in md3view, and it tells me xxx.tga isn't found. Yeah I guess that's got something to do with all the skins being in .jpg. I also can't find the *.skin files, unlike the ones that player models have

What's this all about? How do I create my own custom skins with their own custom names for my custom model? Ugh...I've got a flashy gun ready to go into the game, complete with UV map, texture and hot chocolatey shizzbangwahwah. I've downloaded some weapon mods to compare them, but they've confused me even more. The MiB weapons pack has some funky file generated by milkshape with the extension .qc, and all its names have nothing to do with the default JKA skins. The SWG weapons pack's like that too

So:

- how are the textures detected, if the .skin file isn't present?

- what are tags for?

PS: I'm real tired and if not for coffee and tea, this post would be almost incomprehensible :D

.qc files are control files from milkshape's md3 exporter. They're used to store the texture path within the .md3 at least from what i recall. If you are not using milkshape then no need to worry about that. With max, your exporter will usually store the texture path in the file. If not, you can write the path with the md3 tool provided with the .sdk.

Textures for the guns should be easy to find (just extract the weapons dir and you'll see) Even if they are named as .tga in the .skn file, most of them will use .jpg, it's a programming thing.

Tags can be used to tell the engine how to bolt your object in the player's hands or simply tell where the "firing" emits from... also called flash_tag or something similar.

Archived