Home

how can i make a new quest?

Canderis

There's no such thing as simply adding a quest. Quests are composed of various types of modding, depending on what you want to do: journal editing, scripting, dialogue editing, etc. Check this thread for helpful tutorials on a variety of different types of modding. It should help you get started.

Btw, Da_Man, he didn't ask how to make journal entries; there's a bit more to it than that. Journal entry != quest.

There's no such thing as simply adding a quest. Quests are composed of various types of modding, depending on what you want to do: journal editing, scripting, dialogue editing, etc. Check this thread for helpful tutorials on a variety of different types of modding. It should help you get started.

Btw, Da_Man, he didn't ask how to make journal entries; there's a bit more to it than that. Journal entry != quest.

He's gonna have to do that if he wants the quest to appear...

Not really. Journal entries are aesthetic only. You can make dozens of quests and choose not to have journal entries if you want.

In any case, journal editing is only a very small part of the quest.

I've made quests myself before...that thread has all the things you need to have a quest work. Pretty sure at least.

But they're probably dozens of other threads asking the same thing, so if my suggestion wasn't helpful, search around. Or wait until someone comes up with a post-sized mini-tutorial.

Sorry. :lol:

Most of the "official" tutorials are organized that way...

Inyri is right though...you have to do quite a bit for quests to work/appear. You're gonna be hard-pressed to find a "cakewalk" quest tutorial I believe.

That's how modding is. I'm sure one of the modding masters will come along eventually and help you out.

well in the quest you talk to a person and go to a plante and then you find an item there then you go back to the person and a cutseen hapens and u get the person as a party member and you cant go here till after the levyathen

You would need to add the dialogue where the NPC tells you "pick up ___ item for me on ___ planet." Place the item on the planet in whatever manner you like (footlocker, loot, etc), have the PC retrieve it, then have a second node in the original NPC's dialogue that will trigger when the PC has that item in the inventory. After that you can follow one of the tutorials on how to add recruitable NPC's to your party.

As for cutscenes, you'll need to brush up on your scripting skills (not the easiest type of modding).

A second dialog node. Basically, you create 2 separate dialog entries that both attach to the "root" node depending on whether or not you fulfilled the first one's requirement. Something like this...

root ---

--- NPC dialog if PC has said item: You have the orb. Can I have it?

--- NPC dialog if PC lacks the item: Make sure to retrieve the orb of Cassus for me.

A rough and basic example at best, but it just demonstrates what she meant by "second node". You would need to attach a conditional script on the first option to "check" whether or not the player possess the item, and if they don't, to go the the second option.

Archived