Home

Watch out where those wampas go, Don't you eat that yellow snow!

Havoc Stryphe

Since I have played many RTS games, but not AoE 2 or AoK, I have a serious question.

In some RTS games you can alter the terrain a bit (ie Burn trees, make craters, blow up structures inherent to the map, dispense radiation etc)

Does the AoEII engine allow for that? And if not, was it added by Lucasarts?

I think it is a nice feature and certainly turns up the realism, but It also adds many more lines of code, and graphic database. And takes away from the processing of more important details (ie battles)

Was just curious if I could burn trees down, that I didn't like being where there were, or Blow craters to make it more difficult to establish Bases,

Originally posted by Compa_Mighty

Have you played AoK? I think I'll have to explain you what is the prob. Cause you simply don't seem to get it.

No I get it, the mini map is showing the snow to be green, not white.

To answer your actual question: (:D )

AOE2 and AOK are the same game. Age Of Empires 2 is called Age Of Kings. That's why most people call it AOK.

In that game, you could destroy trees with the right units, but those trees wouldn't burn. Their trunk would simply remain as if it had been cut by woodchoppers, and then disappear over time.

Rocks and other types of terrain couldn't be destroyed.

I read that GB will have water explosions, and most units that get killed lie on the ground and slowly decay over time (not in a gory manner though).

those features should make battles graphically intense, but so far i haven't heard about changes to the engine that make destroying terrain possible.

Originally posted by Paragon_Leon

To answer your actual question: (:D )

AOE2 and AOK are the same game. Age Of Empires 2 is called Age Of Kings. That's why most people call it AOK.

In that game, you could destroy trees with the right units, but those trees wouldn't burn. Their trunk would simply remain as if it had been cut by woodchoppers, and then disappear over time.

Rocks and other types of terrain couldn't be destroyed.

I read that GB will have water explosions, and most units that get killed lie on the ground and slowly decay over time (not in a gory manner though).

those features should make battles graphically intense, but so far i haven't heard about changes to the engine that make destroying terrain possible.

Another serious reply leon? *sigh* :)

Thats cool if the units that die actually decompose. There should be flies that hover around them and little critters that come out and feast on their corpse.....(only kidding of course)

hey, I mean what i say about such things... ;)

thanks for understanding, Kvan.

actually, the humans decomposed to skeletons and you didn't really see flies or anything. it was more like they sank into the ground over time. Vehicles like Korean War Wagons fell apart and the wooden parts did the same thing.

So i imagine an AT-AT would topple over like in the movies (sideway or forward ? what do you think ?) and would slowly 'decompose' like that.

it would be a bit lame if they would simply let it explode and disappear in one go.

Originally posted by Paragon_Leon

That's how they handled it in AOK. An AT-AT that would topple forward would still stick out a lot, so my guess is they will fall sideways, smoking, and then 'sink' into the ground over time like you describe...

the fly thing was a joke ?? :D

:D

They need to have the ATAT have two different falls one forward and one to the side (You said this above)

BTW I have an eerie feeling you might become a mod :mad:

Guest Rebel Pimp

Havoc: In response to your questions, in AOK, large seige weapons like the trebuchets can take out trees one by one. Nothing permantly scars the land, though...

Guest aoerana

Havoc Stryphe think about this, part of the 'terrain' in GB is in Space. How can we blow up space or create craters?

Then there is the underwater parts...

Well any way, this is not something you normally want to do in AOK. The game us setup with limited resources and if you destroy the resources,you are really cutting your own throat later in the game. In AOK the resources are not renewable. I think GB is going to be the same.

Originally posted by Havoc Stryphe

Not EVERY tileset is space or water, geez! Even in other RTS you couldn't blow craters in space!!! :eek:

I'm not a moron, I meant WHEN APLLICABLE! :rolleyes:

when possible, not ALL the time. I do think....occassionally ;)

So we can't blow up parts of space? Drat!

Guest Tie Guy

Here's a question for AOK'ers out there.

What happens to buildings when they get damaged, do they get all run down, or explode or fall apart? Also, do they leave alot of ruins that you can't build over or anyting to that extent?

In AOK, a building starts to burn.

once you whack it even more, it'll eventually collapse. First, there will be rubble, but if i remember correctly, you could build on that right away.

Farms were a bit different. Once they were 'expired', you had to redo the farm, but in the meantime you'd see this barren ground that would eventually disappear, leaving a barren mark on the ground.

that's about it..

Guest Tie Guy

Ok, thanks, here's another.

What is up with the housing stuff? I'm a C&C player, so i'm not familiar with the concept of housing trrops and such.

I'll start a new thread to answer questions about the AOK engine... :D

but to answer this question: you start with a population limit of 5.

for every house you build, that limit gets boosted by five, and by ten with every new towncenter built.

So you have to build a lot of houses to get to 200 units.

if you have reached your pop limit and you try to build a unit, it'll simply say that you need to build more houses.

building more houses after you have a pop limit of 200 doesn't help.

Guest Tie Guy

Ok thanks.

I think i've decided to fork over 50 bucks for this game, so i can answer my own questions from now on.

Archived