Home

Sexism in the Media

GarfieldJL

Since we're bringing up supposed racism in another thread, I figured it was only fair that we bring up sexism in the mainstream media.

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Sarah Palin found some unlikely allies Wednesday as leading academics and even former top aides to Hillary Rodham Clinton endorsed the Republican charge that John McCain’s running mate has been subject to a sexist double standard by the news media and Democrats.

Georgetown University professor Deborah Tannen, who has written best-selling books on gender differences, said she agrees with complaints that Palin skeptics — including prominent voices in the news media — have crossed a line by speculating about whether the Alaska governor is neglecting her family in pursuit of national office.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13129.html

So is there sexism in the media, discuss.

I'm not surprised. If anything, I'll say it is to be expected. Regardless of if it was Hillary, or Palin. MSN or Fox.

First female candidate to get this far, and first republican female VP candidate. What more could the media ask for? They are both fresh for the picking as far as the media is concerned on the topic of their gender and families, as we're still in the mindset that the woman should be at home cooking and cleaning.

Their personal views aside, I do find it odd that questions like that in the above quote, although somewhat valid, seem to be aimed primarily at women like Palin. Do I care that she has those kids? Not really, no. Is it hard to balance family and politics? Absolutely.

Regardless of male or female candidate, the job is a huge time sink. I'd say that it could and probably will cause some internal problems, but I think that if they are running they've come to terms with that well enough to support each other.

Fox and such bashed on Hilary's crying and gender roles, and then turned around and defended Palin's gender like it was somehow sacred to them.

MSN and such defended Hilary, but turned around and starting asking absurd questions to Palin.

In summary, the news media is incompetent and conflict hungry on all sides of the board.

In summary, the news media is incompetent and conflict hungry on all sides of the board.
These words should be set in stone and stickied to the top of both Kavar's and (especially) the political discussion forum. <3 <3 <3

Fox and such bashed on Hilary's crying and gender roles, and then turned around and defended Palin's gender like it was somehow sacred to them.

MSN and such defended Hilary, but turned around and starting asking absurd questions to Palin.

Actually, MSN was one of the biggest culprits in bashing Hillary.

On February 8, Clinton's Communications Director Howard Wolfson Clinton criticized MSNBC's correspondent David Shuster "for suggesting the Clinton campaign had 'pimped out' 27-year old Chelsea by having her place phone calls to celebrities and Democratic Party 'superdelegates' on her mother's behalf."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_presidential_campaign_office_hostage_crisis#New_Hampshire_campaign_office_hostage-taking

Well, I was just picking out a left-wing News station off the top of my head. Now that I think about it, they did contribute to the Hilary and Palin gender bashing.

My mistake. Just replace "Fox" and "MSN" with personal desired news group in my post.

Well, I was just picking out a left-wing News station off the top of my head. Now that I think about it, they did contribute to the Hilary and Palin gender bashing.

My mistake. Just replace "Fox" and "MSN" with personal desired news group in my post.

Actually you should substitute MSN in for the one doing the bashing, and Fox News being the one that said that the treatment of Hillary was getting out of line.

I'm trying to find the videos, but there were even instances of Sean Hannity defending Hillary Clinton and saying the other outlets were out of line.

Anyways, I just remembered this all because I'm a political guru to the point I drive everyone in my family crazy, because I pay such close attention to politics.

A quote from earlier in the article:

The next day, Matthews appeared on Joe Scarborough's MSNBC morning show and said, "Let's not forget...the reason she's a U.S. Senator, the reason she's a candidate for president, the reason she may be a frontrunner, is that her husband messed around". While this incited more controversy, Matthews noted that Clinton's political career started after she appeared with Senator Chuck Schumer and impressed Democratic leaders with her graceful handling of the Monica Lewinsky scandal. "I thought it was an unexceptional statement," he said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_presidential_campaign_office_hostage_crisis#New_Hampshire_campaign_office_hostage-taking

Actually you should substitute MSN in for the one doing the bashing, and Fox News being the one that said that the treatment of Hillary was getting out of line.

I'm trying to find the videos, but there were even instances of Sean Hannity defending Hillary Clinton and saying the other outlets were out of line.

Anyways, I just remembered this all because I'm a political guru to the point I drive everyone in my family crazy, because I pay such close attention to politics.

Kristol defending.

Kristol attacking.

Well, its only one pundit, right?

Oh, I forgot about this:

Not saying they haven't "turned over a new leaf" per-say, but that they are hardly innocent within the media along the course of this campaign.

EDIT:

Better link

Just ignore the guy inserting his own commentary.

Yeah I do know there are people over at Fox News that can't stand Hillary Clinton, however when even the people that couldn't stand Hillary were saying the treatment she was getting was out of line, you know there is a problem.

I will be fair and say that at first Fox News was taking it more as though Hillary Clinton was just calculating everything, but as it went on Fox News started calling the other Networks on their treatment of Hillary.

BTW, the last two videos show signs of having been editted and tampered with.

Yeah I do know there are people over at Fox News that can't stand Hillary Clinton, however when even the people that couldn't stand Hillary were saying the treatment she was getting was out of line, you know there is a problem.

Ah, I agree wholeheartedly then.

EDIT:

BTW, the last two videos show signs of having been editted and tampered with.

Well, you're welcome to look up the dates on the clips and such. If you find out they have been taken out of context, please let us know.

Archived