Home

Gamespot preview: the facts !

Paragon_Leon

From the Gamespot preview over at http://www.gamespot.com

o, and GB is the nr 1 game on their 'PC's Most Wanted List'. Like we didn't see THAT coming... hehe..

The facts:

- There will be a 200-unit limit during multiplayer sessions

- unlike in Age II, none of the factions in Battlegrounds will recycle graphics from the other factions. In Age II, every single civilization had the same exact villagers, militia, archers, and more. But all the units, unit upgrades, and buildings in Battlegrounds will be noticeably different, even if they're roughly equivalent.

- Like Age II's monks, Jedi will be able to convert enemy units to their cause. Unlike Age II's monks, Jedi will also be extremely powerful melee fighters. To defeat them, you'll be able to employ powerful bounty hunters.

- the almighty equalizer of Age of Empires II--the trebuchet--will effectively be replaced with blaster cannons.

I don't know about you, but this calls for some serious enthusiasm...

Guest Tie Guy

It only said that there was a limit in MP, that means the door is wide open in SP. I can see that a 200 unit limit in MP would make it more srategic, and keep someone from simply running over an opponent. But in SP, who cares about all that stuff. So, maybe they won't have a unit cap in SP, but have it just in MP.

If they decide to enhance the pop limit for SP, then that's a change from AOK.

My suspicion is that they won't, since the size of vehicles will make that too heavy for comfort.

Havoc: changes in beta testing usually aren't that drastic, and having a pop limit increase of 50 or more is drastic; believe me...

Guest T.I.E

I like having a set limit. It acts as a buffer between the novice and the elite. If you know how to crank up production and could make 1000 troops, the novice might only be at 200 troops, and your game and the novices would would be soured. But if you top out at 200 and so does your opponent, then tactics and quality come down to the win, not just a tank rush anymore.

Guest Master Yoda

I WANT A 500 POP LIMIT ATLEAST!!!!!! 200 for multi player would be fine just to keep guys with high end machines from wiping out all the guys with low to medium end ones.. but SP must have a higher pop limit that 200!!!!! :mad:

I'm sorry Yoda...the Gamespot preview only mentioned multiplayer limits. Besides, in the AOK-engine, a single player skirmish is basically handled as a multiplayer game, except that you don't work on a network. So this sort of confirms to me that 200 is the limit for both styles of play.

Guest Tie Guy

I'd think that 200 is fine for both modes. That makes it much more fun and managable Maybe you guys don't realze how many 500 or even 200 units is, especially if you don't own the game.

Guest T.I.E

I rarely ever went above 75 people in AOK anyways. 200 troops is alot to handle, especially if your fighting several opponents at once.

Guest Tie Guy

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get up to 200 troops, but your opponents seem to get there rather quickly, and it really isn't fair, or fun.

Im with you on that one Tie Guy. Games are about having FUN. Unbalanced games are dull, predictables and not worth my time.

Even though GB will have a 200 pop limit, i believe the shields (and buildings can also be shielded; watch the rebel screenshots closely for that) will give beginners a bit of a buffer to create an army. It's going to be VERY interesting to see how things like 'rushing' will be done with GB.

Guest Tie Guy

Yes, he shields serve only to double your units HP, not to block anything or make it unplassable. I'm pretty sure you can even fire lasers and the sort through a shield, unlike the movies.

Yes, I know that turbo lasers would easily go through a non-military grade shield and can usually penetrate fighter-class and light transport-class shields as well.

Note: I think it is really funny how in sci-fi movies, especially Star Wars people with a big giant ship always think that nothing can get through their shield (ex. Trade Federation capital ships, Death Star I & II), but the little fighters always seem to topple the cocky behemoth. Very much like David and Goliath.

:naboo:------- :+:deathii:=:explode:

Guest Tie Guy

Actually, the N-1's never got though the shields, Anikan simply destroyed the power generator for the inside.

BTW, the Dstars didn't have shields,, but both times they too destroyed the power generators, not actually the ship or shields.

Archived