Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

Did you install the game following the large-print instructions in the second post? If not, then you'll have to uninstall and do so.

Yes. I installed it just as described.

Well, I didn't check to see if the .ini was changed. Could that cause the problem?

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:mad: This is so frustrating!

Ok, I'm back on trying to get this game to work.

Tonight, I uninstalled the game, and then reinstalled it to get a clean slate. I did everything according to post 1 for installing, and my only problem keeps occurring. I said this in my last post, but whenever I try to replace the new swkotor2 file (which I didn't rename) into my main folder, it says "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Would you like to place it on your desktop?"

That is my main problem that I cannot solve. And is there a way to get the main folder back to normal, because I think it has all my old messup crap still on it?

Please help. :jarjar:

Hey guys, I was having a lot of problems, but have been working on it over the past two days, and have mostly gotten it working. Unless I run into something major in the near future, I'm pretty much satisfied now, but I figure I'll post in case anyone else has been running into the same issues.

I had the same issue many have had, where when I tried to start the game, nothing at all would happen, besides it seeming to try to load for a few seconds. Nothing here fixed that, but I later discovered it was a problem with ATI drivers, and fixed this by extracting atioglxx.dll from the 9.12 catalyst drivers, and placing this in the install directory. Then, it started crashing after the lucasarts screen. No error or anything, just it would minimize itself, and I'd be unable to bring it back up. Though, for some reason, when I did this in 1600 x 1200 resolution, it seemed to play the music, but wouldn't respond, and I couldn't tab out of it. I managed to get around this by tabbing out as soon as the lucasarts screen comes up, and then tabbing back to it. Then it gets through to the title screen just fine. I often have to alt-tab out of the title screen and back too, because it rarely wants to accept my clicks until I do for some reason. This worked for me at both 1024 x 768 and 1920 x 1200 resolutions, and I am using 1920 x 1200 now.

The only real issue I have anymore is that when movies play, it just shows a black screen, and the movie doesn't show. (Sound will play, however, and it can be skipped by clicking.) I've managed to get around this though, by, once again, alt-tabbing out of KOTOR, and then right back in, as soon as the movie starts. It will then play normally. (As far as I can tell I have to do this every time a movie starts, though I have only tested that through the movie player on the main menu. The intro movie when starting a new game seems to confirm this, though.) All of this is for KOTOR 1, by the way. Retail version, not the Steam one. Haven't gotten to trying it on 2 yet.

So yeah, I can easily deal with just tabbing once whenever a movie comes up. If someone does know a way around that, it might be nice, but really my main reason for posting this here is just in case someone else was having similar issues.

:mad: This is so frustrating!

Ok, I'm back on trying to get this game to work.

Tonight, I uninstalled the game, and then reinstalled it to get a clean slate. I did everything according to post 1 for installing, and my only problem keeps occurring. I said this in my last post, but whenever I try to replace the new swkotor2 file (which I didn't rename) into my main folder, it says "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Would you like to place it on your desktop?"

That is my main problem that I cannot solve. And is there a way to get the main folder back to normal, because I think it has all my old messup crap still on it?

Please help. :jarjar:

1) Rename or remove the old swkotor2 file. Stop trying to overwrite it.

2) Move the new one into the game folder.

Have you looked at the second post in this thread? The most complete and up-to-date installation instructions are in the large print.

I have tried everything on this post, i hope someone can look over the info and let me know if i missed something.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=3/6/2010 1:29:41 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=Win9x

Version=Windows 9X v6.0 build 6000

Service Pack=None

Status=Fail

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=3166

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=7

CPUStepping=10

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=113.77GB

E: (NTFS), UNICODE=219.92GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=4096

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.2.9551 Compatibility Profile Context

OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Renderer=ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

ATI Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Fail

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=1280

Height=1024

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=1600

Height=1200

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

I created short cut as mentioned..

I downloaded and installed Direct X9c

I downloaded the scow exe

I replaced the Dll file

Everything is running as Administrator and Windows XP R2

I did have a problem trying to install the game as Comp Windows XP R2. It would not installed so i put it as normal and still ran the install as administrator. I really hit a wall on this, spent 4hours trying everything. Hope somone can help.

I tried removing the old one and tried putting a new one in. It STILL said it cannot create a shortcut and all that crap.

Are you using an administrator account while installing the game? If not, then you should log into an administrator account, then uninstall and reinstall the game according to the large-print instructions in the second post of this thread.

Would i be able to delete the main folder and then uninstall and reinstall the game. Would that create a new main folder?

DON'T DO THAT. If you delete the main folder, how will you be able to uninstall the game? Answer: you won't.

I did have a problem trying to install the game as Comp Windows XP R2. It would not installed so i put it as normal and still ran the install as administrator.

Well, since the game is recognizing your OS as Win9x, that's where you screwed up. Are you doing this on an administrator's account? If not, then you should. Anyway, you're going to have to reinstall the game. Follow the large-print instructions in the second post of this tread while doing so.

I am using vista and was able to get the game running only when the sound is off. If I have it on it tells me that the program stopped working. Any suggestions??

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=3/6/2010 7:46:18 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=E:\Knights of the Old Republic\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2210

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2210MHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=2048

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=170.01GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=1.02GB

E: (NTFS), UNICODE=163.94GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=F:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

OpenGL Version=3.2.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@oem33.inf,%vixs.devicedesc59%;ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo)

Status=Pass

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=67

Voiceover Volume=75

Sound Effects Volume=68

Movie Volume=73

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

EAX=0

Sound Init=1

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=1

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=1280

Height=960

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

Emitters=1

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=0

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=0

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

Hi there,

I have some interesting problem:

I'v been playing w/ kotor 1 for some time, when i decided to reinstall os(win7).

I copy-pasted the game to the new os, but it refused to run (Stopped working...)

OK. I said, no big deal I guess, reinstall it and it'll work fine.

...but... no.

I've run through ALL of the fixes, every single point but I can't get it work. When I try to run it, kotor 1 simply doesn't start at all, I just get an error in win7 "SWKOTOR has just stopped working. Blablabla".

I dunno if i switched off some important service or smth for it to run, but after re-rolling everything i just switched off it still refuses to run. (don't bother writing down "Did u copied the dll?" and such solutions, as I said it was working before reinstall)

If anyone experienced the same problem and succeed, don't hold back to write down the solution. Thanks.

I am using vista and was able to get the game running only when the sound is off. If I have it on it tells me that the program stopped working. Any suggestions??

Yes. Uninstall and then reinstall the game according to the large-print instructions in Post #2. I can tell from your diagnostic report that you haven't done that, which is why it isn't working.

Alright. What if I uninstall and then delete the main folder, then reinstall. And I've already installed according to post 2 twice.

After several months of this I've come to the conclusion that it's hopeless. Please do us both a favor and buy the XBox version.

(don't bother writing down "Did u copied the dll?" and such solutions, as I said it was working before reinstall)

Well, obviously, you did something different this time around. Something wrong. Something like this:

I copy-pasted the game to the new os, but it refused to run (Stopped working...)

You did what? Did you honestly expect that to work? Try uninstalling it completely, search for and delete any leftover folders/files, run a registry cleaner like CCleaner and start over.

I went back through and deleted and reinstalled the game according to the instructions in post 1 and 2. I am not that computer savy so I do not know where I have gone wrong. Before i was able to play without sound, now I don't have a clue what I have done and can't play at all. When i do the hardware check it keeps saying my drivers for my vid card need to be updated. I have done this two times now.

EDIT!! I think what i did wrong was the dll file exchange. I think i did that part wrong.

6. Once it is installed, you'll need to fix the mss32.dll file > this is done by simply replacing it with the fixed one from the above link

7. Once that file is downloaded, place it in your KotOR II's root file directory, eg: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2. (or wherever you have installed it)

When it says, "Move and replace", select that option. This successfully fixes the "KotOR II has stopped working" bug.

I am not sure how to replace this. Rhe file in the folder is mss32.dll the file i downloaded is kotor_2_vista_fix. Am i to rename the kotor file or does it auto replace the dll file already in the folder, because I didn't get an option to copy and replace per instructions I copied above.

If you can give me an idea what I did wrong i would appreciate it.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=3/7/2010 3:28:19 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2210

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2210MHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=2048

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=171.30GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=947MB

E: (NTFS), UNICODE=163.06GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=F:\

Drives=

[Video]

Video Card Name=

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

OpenGL Version=3.2.0

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@oem33.inf,%vixs.devicedesc59%;ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo)

Status=Pass

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Sound Init=1

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=1280

Height=960

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=1

Brightness=57

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

You did what? Did you honestly expect that to work? Try uninstalling it completely, search for and delete any leftover folders/files, run a registry cleaner like CCleaner and start over.

Read what I said. I tried it, yeah, but after I saw it wasn't working, I reinstalled it several times, and even more times now, bcuz I tried to remove it with some special uninstaller (like ccleaner, revouninstaller, etc. ).

Still no luck.

I still get the "... has stopped working" as I try to launch it.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was hoping someone could help me.

I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) and have been playing KOTOR on and off for the past 8 months or so.

However, today, when I went to boot it up. the screen went to the Lucas arts image but then right back to my desktop. I had to open up task manager to close it.

this problem kept persisting, I tried reinstalling it, used the swkotor.exe patch (from main post), did compatibility mode windows XP, but nothing.

its not my hardware as all of it is up to date and exceeds what is required.

I am not sure if its windows 7?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem as Achmat. I used to be able to run the game on Windows 7, but now all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. It starts up but tabs down immediately after the intro videoes, just like Achmat described.

I have followed the steps in the instructions in post #2 twice, but the error persists.

Now before I try yet another time, I'd like to know if the mss32.dll fix is really supposed to be applied for kotor1 too, or if its only for TSL?

hey first off let me say this a great thread very help full.

i am having an odd problem that i think i saw 1 other user ask about

but i haven't found a fix.

I got KotOR 1 from direct2drive and after finding this thread reinstalled

as per post 1 skipping the steps that did not apply to the D2D version

patching and SecuROM it also seems to have come with the Dantooine lag fix.

so here's my issue when i start the game it goes to a black screen and hangs

there for about 2to3 minutes then i get the lucas arts, bioware logos and the title screen, then another 2to3 minute wait then the main menu this happeneds every transition also if i go to the graphics menu and try to adjust anything

there's a similar wait i noticed it when i went to adjust the anti aliasing every

time i change it up or down there's a 2-3 minute wait before it responds.

when i get to the game it feels a lot like a really laggy mmo very jumpy and choppy if that makes sense i'm not sure if this is due to frame rate is there

a good way to check?

i have tried forcing core affinity, didn't seem to help

haven't tried the steps listed in post 31 but i'm not having crashing issues.

my system

windows 7 ultimate(64)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

2.00 GB RAM

----------------------------------------------------------

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=30/04/2010 11:21:17 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v1.03.514077

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

[CPU]

CPUCount=2

CPUSpeed=3100

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=11

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=356.89GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=8.22GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.2.0

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce GTS 250/PCI/SSE2

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@wdma_usb.inf,%usb\class_01.devicedesc%;USB Audio Device

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor.ini

[sound Options]

Sound Init=0

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=100

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Disable Sound=0

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

Environment Effects Level=0.60

2D3D Bias=1.50

Environment Effects=1

Environment Effects Nonstreaming=1

Environment Effects Streaming=1

[Game Options]

GUIsInScreenShot=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=33

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

Enable Tooltips=1

Difficulty Level=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1.000000

Memory Access=1

Memory Level=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie 0=16

Movie 1=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 9=0

Movie10=0

[Alias]

HD0=.\

OVERRIDE=.\Override

TEMP=.\Temp

MODULES=.\Modules

LOGS=.\Logs

LOCALVAULT=.\LocalVault

DMVAULT=.\DMVault

SERVERVAULT=.\ServerVault

STREAMMUSIC=.\StreamMusic

TEMPCLIENT=.\Tempclient

SAVES=.\saves

CURRENTGAME=.\currentgame

TEXTUREPACKS=.\texturepacks

STREAMWAVES=.\StreamWaves

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=1

RefreshRate=60

Height=768

Width=1024

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Anti Aliasing=4

Texture Quality=2

Emitters=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

[Autopause Options]

Mine Sighted=1

End Of Combat Round=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action265=52

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=62

Action213=60

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

Ah thanks a2omega, you solved my problem! ^_<

I tried the fix in post #31 and now the game runs smooth as ever. It appears the game can't be run in full screen, that's all.

Kinda annoying with no fullscreen, but hey... better than nothing!

Edit:

It even plays in full screen! Just change the resolution while you're ingame and it'll go back to full screen. (You can change to a smaller resolution and then change back.) The next time you start the game it will still start in window mode, so need to fiddle with any config settings everytime you want to play.

This info should be added to the main post so new users who come here don't have to read through more than 300 posts to find the solution!

Hey i am trying to download this fix but when the site wont let me. I press the download button and it just bring me to a blank page. Is there anywhere else that i can download it?

Are you referring to the mss32 fix from file front? Ive tried it mere seconds ago with no issues. Give it another go ;)

Its a very small file so make sure you check your usual download location to make sure you don't already have it ;)

...And thank you to all that have been contributing to this thread, especially Evil Q, whose dedication to fellow SW gamers has extended far beyond the concern displayed by Obsidian or BioWare when it comes to these games.

mtfbwya

Archived