Home

Bodies Staying K1/TSL

jonathan7

You know something that really bugs me? Bodies disappearing in KotOR! So I'd like a mod that keeps them around at least long enough for them to be out of sight before disappearing (then at least you can invent reasons for the body no longer being there (it was eaten, rushed to hospital etc).

A relevant conversation I had with Stoffe, people may find helpful with regards if this mod is possible, what problems there are, and how to do it...

I had a very random question for you...

[19:47:55] Jonathan7 says: I had a very random question for you... is it possible to get the boddies to stay in KotOR after you've killed them, I think I asked you before, but forgot what you said :p

[19:49:03] stoffe says: You should be able to turn off the corpse fade or a creature with the SetIsDestroyable() script function, making them stick around until they're manually deleted.

[19:49:35] Jonathan7 says: how big a job is that for the whole game?

[19:51:12] stoffe says: You'd need to run it on every creature that should stick around. Most tend to use the standard AI scripts though, so you could probably stick it in the k_ai_master script to make it affect everyone. Beware however that the Aurora/Odyssey engines are awful at handling a large number of creatures in an area, so in some crowded areas performance may suffer significantly.

[19:52:49] Jonathan7 says: does that even count with latest generation computers? - i.e. my laptop runs Oblivion (significantly pumped up) so would the ram etc not carry it through?

[19:53:12] stoffe says: Don't remember if there are any areas in Kotor 1 where enemies respawn indefinitely until the player does something (like the Sith Assassins in the mandalorian camp on Dxun in K2:TSL), but any such locations could easily become unplayable if corpses pile up in the hundreds. :)

[19:53:58] stoffe says: Aurora/Odyssey is awful performance-wise. Don't know what it is, but I still get fairly poor performance in NWN1, a game released in 2002, on my current computer :)

[19:54:21] stoffe says: Just poorly written or designed I'd guess.

[19:54:45] Jonathan7 says: I've never really had a problem on here tbh

[19:55:48] stoffe says: As a comparison, I can run Oblivion with all graphics settings at max at around 60-80 FPS. When playing Neverwinter Nights 2 though I'm lucky if I get 22-25 FPS with graphics settings at medium, and it has much poorer graphics than Oblivion. .)

[19:56:51] stoffe says: But, seems to vary between different computer setups. You could try it and see how it works. If performance becomes too poor it's easy to remove again :)

[19:57:40] Jonathan7 says: hehe, you assume I have any scripting ability, I'm purely a skinner

[19:58:07] stoffe says: When I did my combat arena mod I found that I couldn't have more than about 12 combatants active simultaneously before the game slowed down too much to be playable.

[19:58:45] Jonathan7 says: surely Onderon, has more than that though?

[19:59:33] stoffe says: Sure, a character in combat uses up more resources, running scripts, causing visual effects etc. But the engine still isn't designed to handle lots of NPCs in the same area. It's worth noting that many enemies in combat areas aren't pre-placed, but are spawned via triggers when the player approaches the location they should be in.

[19:59:58] stoffe says: Hence why even cities like Iziz etc feel barren and empty. :)

[20:01:04] stoffe says: They worked around it in Jade Empire by adding a special "crowd" object that each controlled a whole bunch of people seemingly moving around, but they were all one object and could not be interracted with, had no AI etc. Still, made the imperial city feel crowded and lively even if it was just scenery. :)

[20:01:35] Jonathan7 says: anything like that possible with TSL?

[20:02:12] stoffe says: Don't think so, it was a feature added to the game engine in Jade Empire, haven't seen anything like it in any other Aurora engine games, or derivates like Odyssey

I have tried this at some point, but the "SetIsDestroyable()" command prevents you from looting the bodies. I haven't bothered to work around the issue (if it's even possible) yet.

Hehe, I love how when it comes to game setup - we think a like; though my scripting abilities have never let me get as far as experimenting :xp:

Archived