Home

Half Life on Steam question

DeadYorick

Well, hopefully you got the CD key with that disk.

And hopefully the seller didn't rip you off with a key that has been taken already.

If you either lack a CD key or the CD key is already registered, then you're out of luck on Steam.

However, the original Half-Life does work without Steam, and you actually never have to download Steam if you want to play the original. You'll need to for multiplayer, patches, mods, and Half-life 2 however.

But, again, the question ultimately relies on the state of the CD's key.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I have another question now.

First off, how would you know if the CD key is valid at all? Second, I recently heard a rumor that having generic Half Life (meaning Half Life in it's jewel case without expansions) allows you to download the expansions via an update. Is this true? I haven't owned original Half Life on the PC before

Alright I have another question now.

First off, how would you know if the CD key is valid at all? Second, I recently heard a rumor that having generic Half Life (meaning Half Life in it's jewel case without expansions) allows you to download the expansions via an update. Is this true? I haven't owned original Half Life on the PC before

I'm not honestly sure. It got Half-Life platinum pack or something like it on steam years and years ago, so I got everything. Something you could put into google most likely.

The way you tell is to download steam, register a profile, log in, and in games there should be an option to register a CD key. If it works, then Half-Life will appear in your gaming tab and you can either install via CD, or just download directly from steam.

I beleive you do get the expansions or some other games, when I downloaded the Platnium pack, I got Deathmatch Classic out of nowhere.

I already know that Platinum pack comes with all expansions. I mean the original half life without expansions as I heard that through an update you can get all the expansions.

Archived