Home

IP Problem

nope it isnt a catastrophe by any means(I had this just yesterday myself), but that being said, it can be a PITA if it is resulting in you or another user on your network not being able to access the net.

Have any of the other pcs in your network experienced any difficulties?

mtfbwya

Not that I know of.

Keep an eye on it. With DHCP, they often tend to sort themselves out, but if the problem persists you may have to manually do an ipconfig release/renew from the command prompt.

Other little tricks that may achieve the same thing >

*restart router

*unplug/disconnect from network/reconnect

*disable network card in pc/restart/enable

Let us know if you have any problems surface ;)

sounds phishy too me.

cmon bill, this is tech support, not the comedy club :xp:

mtfbwya

I meant it actually sounded like a scam, like the 'you have a virus, click here to scan' banners :xp:

But now that he says he is behind a router, it makes a little more sense as XP does detect IP Address conflicts in local networks. Someone might be trying to spoof your mac address and intercept you data given it's wireless, or there may simply be an overlap with static ip's too.

If you are not specifying a static IP, then I would recommend typing 'ipconfig /release' and then 'ipconfig /renew' into a command window if you see the message again. Might help to resolve it by causeing you to pull a new IP address.

^Um... no. Not that I know of. He may be able to track me somehow, I don't know. I believe that the people behind me, and beside me 'both' have it. So, I've used different connections before if for some reason one or the other will not work. Could this also present a problem?

Let this be a lesson to owners of wireless networks. If you don't bother setting up some security then don't be surprised if someone decides to help themselves to your network's bandwidth, gratis of course. :D

I'd say go wtih acdcfanbill's suggestion of opening a Windows command prompt and typing ipconfig /release to release the IP address you currently have. Once that completes then type ipconfig /renew to tell the network you want an IP address, hopefully an available one that isn't already in use by another system on the wireless network you connect to.

I bet the owner is aware of you and is setting his own IP address to yours to screw with you.

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

should fix things, but if you're going to leech, your connection is at the mercy of others. I'd at least get off his DHCP range and set a hard IP address with the same first 3 octets as what you have now with DHCP. If the neighbor locks down his router or changes his subnet on you, you'll have to go back to DHCP snooping.

Archived