Home

A Max to 3ds, Obj, gmax, etc Converter?

HK-42

Is there a way to convert a Max(as in 3ds Max format) to 3ds, Obj, gmax, or another filetype gmax can read? Without having 3ds Max of course, unless someone is interested in volunteering. Been search google for one, with no avail.

Is there a way to convert a Max(as in 3ds Max format) to 3ds, Obj, gmax, or another filetype gmax can read? Without having 3ds Max of course, unless someone is interested in volunteering. Been search google for one, with no avail.

I am afraid that, AFAIK, a .max file can not be converted into a .3ds (.3ds was a format used by earlier versions of Max) or into a .gmax file. As for an OBJ file, 3ds has an importer, and I've heard around the tubes that it has a custom made importer (not sure if it doubles as an exporter like the GMax OBJ tool) because the built-in importer sucks for larger files.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a .max file into GMax?

I am afraid that, AFAIK, a .max file can not be converted into a .3ds (.3ds was a format used by earlier versions of Max) or into a .gmax file. As for an OBJ file, 3ds has an importer, and I've heard around the tubes that it has a custom made importer (not sure if it doubles as an exporter like the GMax OBJ tool) because the built-in importer sucks for larger files.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a .max file into GMax?

Yea I have Gmax Obj Tool, but I cant use one with 3ds Max without 3ds Max :(

I need it to get some files off a site( http://www.turbosquid.com ) into gmax, to see if I can get them in KOTOR.

MAX is a propriety format - you have to buy a licence to distribute a product that can read/write MAX files. Consequently there are very few apps that do. You'll have to find someone with a copy of Max that you can send the files to and ask them to convert it to a universal format like OBJ.

MAX is a propriety format - you have to buy a licence to distribute a product that can read/write MAX files. Consequently there are very few apps that do. You'll have to find someone with a copy of Max that you can send the files to and ask them to convert it to a universal format like OBJ.

If they were to let gMax and 3DsMax mingle like that whole teams could be set up working on gMax with only one 3ds license. The lads at Autodesk need to eat!

If they were to let gMax and 3DsMax mingle like that whole teams could be set up working on gMax with only one 3ds license. The lads at Autodesk need to eat!

If they use all that money to eat, then they are quite fat charging 3000 Dollars a program :xp:

• 1 year later...

I realize that your post was made a while back, but I just recently came across a similar problem, and your post. I was looking for a free model of a macaw, for a design that I'm working on. And after days of searching, I finally found what I was looking for. But I ran into one problem- it was a .max file, and I had nothing that would read it. I've got Poser, Bryce and Daz3D. None of them would open it. So, I broke down and downloaded a free trial of 3ds Max 2010 and installed it. I have no clue how to use that program, and really don't think I'm going to learn it very quick (I've gotten very spoiled on Poser and Bryce. lol). So, I looked around 3ds Max to see if there was an Export option.

Low and behold, EUREKA! I found out that I could export my file as a .3ds! I was so happy and relieved after a long and brain numbing search for a macaw that I could use in either Bryce or Poser (especially for free). And now I have one- well, it's actually two macaws together, but I only need one, so I separated them in Bryce. :)

Anyway, if you're using the 2010 version of Max, look up in the top left corner, and you'll see the blueish-green colored 3ds Max logo. Click on it, and there will be a drop-down menu. Click the black triangle next to the word Export, and you'll be given three options of exporting. Choose either the top or middle option, unless you want to export it as a .DWF file.

Here is a list of file extensions that you can export as in Autodesk 3ds Max 2010:

• Autodesk (.fbx)
    3D Studio (.3ds)
    Adobe Illustrator (.AI)
    ASCII Scene Export (.ase)
    Lightscape Material (.atr)
    Lightscape Blocks (.blk)
    Autodesk Collada (.dae)
    Lightscape Parameter (.df)
    Publish to DWF (.dwf)
    AutoCAD (.dwg)
    AutoCAD (.dxf)
    Flight Studio OpenFlight (.flt)