Home

Freeze Good/Evil alignment of NPCs

Greetings,

First, I would like to thank all the KOTOR and TSL modders for their excellent and varied work over the years on these classic games. It has been pleasing to see that people are still dedicated to enhancing and streamlining these games for fans who still enjoy revisiting the Old Republic. :thmbup1:

The request!

I liked how in K1 your npcs' alignments remained at where they were when the PC found them. In TSL, as you know, the PC's influence and alignment change the alignment of his/her party members (except for Kreia's). Would it be possible to make a mod where the alignments of your party members are frozen at where they were when you found them, like Kreia's? For example, when I find Visas, her alignment is initially 35 (evil). I wish it to remain that way for her for the rest of the game even if my influence over her is 100 and I'm a paragon of Light Side brilliance. I would greatly appreciate it!

Much thanks,

intrepid_rook85

Hmm...interesting idea. I'm not sure about the actual alignment, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to keep the visual changes from incurring. Or do you even care about the visual part?

I'll investigate! *old superhero music plays as he runs off*

If you don't care about how it shows that they wend ds or ls it would be easy to keep the appearence the same. I'll do it this weekend.

"Hmm...interesting idea. I'm not sure about the actual alignment, but it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to keep the visual changes from incurring. Or do you even care about the visual part?" -- Malxados

Actually, I do care about the npc's alignment, not just the appearance. That way, when you get Visas, her DS powers aren't penalized by her becoming LS just because the PC (me) is LS. It just makes more sense to me that Visas would arrive with DS powers and still be able to use them without penalties. I don't want to boost her charisma with KSE. ;)

Thank you!

"I like that idea, because HK-47 as light-sided made me cry" -- R2-X2

Yeah, absolutely.

IIRC there is a scripting way to set the lightside/darkside points that a character have. You could probably implement something using that.

Do you mean that I could use Kotor tool to set the alignment myself? If so, is there a tutorial I could read for help?

Thanks!

It is very much possible to do this, though I don't know how involved it would be. I'll have to ask the modder who made the script if I can use it to freeze everyone's alignment, but I can't guarantee it will always work if there are multiple .utcs for the characters. (For instance I know that there are scads of Attons before the real one shows up.)

Anyhow, I'll look into it since I already have the script, I just need permission to use it, time to track down the correct .utcs, and the patience to remember if TSL Patcher can alter existing GFF files so there wouldn't be incompatibilities.

It is very much possible to do this, though I don't know how involved it would be. I'll have to ask the modder who made the script if I can use it to freeze everyone's alignment, but I can't guarantee it will always work if there are multiple .utcs for the characters. (For instance I know that there are scads of Attons before the real one shows up.)

Anyhow, I'll look into it since I already have the script, I just need permission to use it, time to track down the correct .utcs, and the patience to remember if TSL Patcher can alter existing GFF files so there wouldn't be incompatibilities.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

You're welcome. I've got permission to use the script, so I'll make it soon. I might not make it a compatible with virtually everything version just due to general busy-ness and such, but I'll include instructions on how to make it compatible if anyone has mods in place that already alter the NPC .utc files.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2627991 has the mod. I decided not to try using TSL patcher with it, as that would be too complicated. Anyhow, it works fine, but you have to start a new game to get all the benefits from it. It's also easy to decide that some NPCs will still have their alignment affected if you want them to--it's entirely copy/paste, so you can install only one character's 2 needed files, or you can install all of them.

It was a lot easier than I expected to make, but it took a while to test it.

Closing, as the conversation/feedback can continue in the mod release thread. -RH

Archived