Home

Wasps are Evil.

If you cannot fireball the suckers, oven cleaner, a mask, and rubber gloves works wonders!

Well, it's kind of a love/hate relationship with me and wasps. I'll just mention the more interesting interactions I've had over the course of my life.

Love:

I had a boss one time whom I didn't like. A yellow jacket flew in one time and landed on his seat. I said nothing. He sat down in it a few minutes later. <ZING!> :devsmoke:

Have food leftovers that you didn't get to in the fridge and trash day is still a few days off? (I.E. a *huge* fish?) Don't want your trash gotten into by dogs or bears? Let the little guys eat it--a good distance away from your abode, of course!

Hate:

Rolling logs and lumber for firewood that has needed to sit awhile b/c it was "wet". Only to find out the hard way wasps/yellow jackets have built a nest into its bark and in the ground. Happens now and again. Thank heavens I'm not allergic.

Caretaking a beach house, I uncovered an infestation. Exterminators pulled a bucket out of all the dead: 10 lbs of dead yellow jackets. Infested and nested a space of about 3-7 cu. ft. in the insulation in the ceiling between floors.

I was 15. A baskeball sized abomination nest was made from my mom's hanging basket for plants in the front yard. Solution: Pour a bunch of paint thinner inside an empty 5 gallon bucket w/ lid, toss the nest inside it, close lid tightly over it. <SHAKE-IT-A-BABY-NOW!> Killed all of them in ~1 hour or less. Problem solved!

I work at a pool and last summer we had a wasp problem. My friend and I told 2 fly swatters reinforced with tape each and 2 bottles of bug death spray. For about 4 hours we kicked ass and took names, we even drew little wasps on the fly swatters for every kill we got until we ran out of room. Unfortunately that didn't really do anything other than entertain us for 4 hours with mindless killing so we had to do the much less dramatic spraying of hives with death spray every morning for a few weeks.

Archived