Home

SOMI:SE

leXX

So I imagine, like me, alot of you will be experiencing The Secret of Monkey Island for the first time. I know there is a whole forum section for it, but I wanted to discuss it with fellow Swampies.

I've just finished it, and I have to say it was absolutely hillarious. There were many many times I actually laughed out loud. One of the funniest games I ever played. It probably would of taken me three times as long to complete without the hint system. I'm very glad they put that in there.

This was actually the first Lucasarts adventure game I have ever played, and now I understand why it has such a cult following. I will be buying and playing alot more of them now.

Now I'm going to play through it again completely in old school mode. :)

The PC version is over 2 GB in size, for some f***** up reason, so I'll try to DL it tonight. Highly looking forward to it, and at the same time I'm also equally ashamed at whoever hasn't played a LucasArts adventure game before. I'm even more ashamed if you bought it for the Xbawks. You're 3/4 of a human to me. :carms:

I plan on getting it via Steam... as soon as my Paypal balance goes from its current $4.23 to the requisite $9.99 (plus tax). Which will probably happen in a few days time. I got and played through the first episode of the new Tales of Monkey Island, which I thoroughly enjoyed as my first Monkey Island game.

I am downloading it on Steam now. It was tough to decide between XBLA or Steam but only thing Xbox has going for it is achievements so aside from that I'd rather play it on the PC. It's great to see so many people getting into these old school games for the first time.

The PC version is over 2 GB in size, for some f***** up reason, so I'll try to DL it tonight.

Some shady sources I am in contact with who wear eyepatches very often tell me that it's 1.35 GB in size. >_>

Highly looking forward to it, and at the same time I'm also equally ashamed at whoever hasn't played a LucasArts adventure game before. I'm even more ashamed if you bought it for the Xbawks. You're 3/4 of a human to me. :carms:

Agreed to the fullest degree.

The PC version is over 2 GB in size, for some f***** up reason, so I'll try to DL it tonight. Highly looking forward to it, and at the same time I'm also equally ashamed at whoever hasn't played a LucasArts adventure game before. I'm even more ashamed if you bought it for the Xbawks. You're 3/4 of a human to me. :carms:

Like I give a **** what you think.

Edit: My review - http://www.lucasnews.net/2009/07/16/somise-a-newcomers-perspective

Some shady sources I am in contact with who wear eyepatches very often tell me that it's 1.35 GB in size. >_>
Aye, it appears to be that way. Uncompressed, however, it's just short of 2.5GB in size.
Like I give a **** what you think.
You should; my opinion is always right.

Just started playing it, and yes, I have complaints:

• The sprites are awful. Not only are they poorly detailed compared to the other surroundings, but the walking scripts' timing is way off, to the point where they appear to be walking on ice. Seriously, how hard is it to get this right? The original appears much more fluid and natural compared to the remake. The animations are also rather clunky, and it doesn't really make much sense why LucasArts can't add a few more frames to keep overall consistency.

• The voice acting is usually good, but some of the voices are dreadful, and are completely not what I imagined judging from the personality and artwork of the original NPCs. Cobb is worst of them all so far; his "Aye" sounds more like an "Uh", rather than a real pirate "Aye".

• As noted in IHOM, some of the text in the artwork seems to be typed calligraphy, rather than drawn by hand. Stan's seems to be the worst, compared to the original:

Show spoiler
    (hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
    Stanpov.jpg
    Show spoiler
    (hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2932&stc=1&d=1247741382

But other than that, everything else is great so far. The music and ambience is absolutely perfect, and they're especially enhanced by the water.

I really don't get the ire from people for putting it on XBL. So they had to make some compromises for it. I'm sorry it's not exclusive to your PC Master Race, and now the smelly jobless Xbox users will have a chance to experience a fantastic game now.

Seriously people, grow the f*** up.

I really have to laugh at the fact that Lucasarts finally gets something right for once, and seems open to their classic adventure games, and still people aren't happy simply because they also made it to where more people could enjoy it.

I really don't get the ire from people for putting it on XBL. So they had to make some compromises for it. I'm sorry it's not exclusive to your PC Master Race, and now the smelly jobless Xbox users will have a chance to experience a fantastic game now.

Seriously people, grow the f*** up.

I really have to laugh at the fact that Lucasarts finally gets something right for once, and seems open to their classic adventure games, and still people aren't happy simply because they also made it to where more people could enjoy it.

QFT. Well said.

And just because you played a game someone else hasn't, it doesn't make you some kind of superior human. I could name a hundred games you haven't played and make you feel stupid for not playing them, but I don't, because I'm not an arrogant prick. So get off of your damn high horses and stfu.

just because you played a game someone else hasn't, it doesn't make you some kind of superior human. I could name a hundred games you haven't played and make you feel stupid for not playing them, but I don't, because I'm not an arrogant prick. So get off of your damn high horses and stfu.
Yes, because every single word that I've said was filled with nothing more than pure vitriol and seriousness, completely free from sarcasm, hyperbole, or a mixture of both. I'm here for nothing less than to flaunt my proud elitism towards underlings, in attempt to show who's boss.

As you can see, my above paragraph was nothing more than an ad hominem attack aimed entirely towards you, and is entirely sarcasm-free.

Ahuh. :carms:
As you can see from the example above, class, smilies make the sarcasm far too apparent and obvious to the person receiving the sarcasm, the "sarcasee", as we call it. Thus, the srs bizniz-inducing effect cast upon the sarcasee has failed.
Yeah, but then people would confuse the sarcasm character with the factorial symbol. For example:

That dress really makes you look like No. 1(!).

Archived