Home

[KOTOR] Model Help

ZimmMaster

Its set on its base like that. To fix it' date=' open up a mask file along with the Revan's mask file and move the Revan mask into the correct position.[/quote']

I was not aware that I moved it. 'Cause all I did was open it. Change the name. Export it. Then use the perspective tools to make a screenshot for the icon. But I'll try and see if there is a difference.

You were supposed to move it:p. That model isn't set to be a mask. Its too high on its Aurora Base. You have to move it down for it to be placed correctly.

That's one way to do it, but eyeballing the movement would be inaccurate.

I think this mask is already aligned properly for the head. All you should need to do is reset the pivot point on the mask and then use ResetXForm.

That's one way to do it, but eyeballing the movement would be inaccurate.

I think this mask is already aligned properly for the head. All you should need to do is reset the pivot point on the mask and then use ResetXForm.

Thats not how you would put a mask model into the game and have it work correctly.

Mask models are placed in relation to the maskhook, so if you just had the mask and not move it at all, the mask would be in that place in relation to where the maskhook is. In your case, it would've been way above your character's head.

The way I place masks correctly is that I import an existing mask model, (I usually use that full face mask model with the yellow visor) then I position my mask model onto the imported mask model, until it looks right. After that, I delete the existing mask model, resetxform, link my mask to the AuroraBase, and export.

The way I place masks correctly is that I import an existing mask model, (I usually use that full face mask model with the yellow visor) then I position my mask model onto the imported mask model, until it looks right. After that, I delete the existing mask model, resetxform, link my mask to the AuroraBase, and export.

*cough*That's what I said*cough*

Thats not how you would put a mask model into the game and have it work correctly.

Mask models are placed in relation to the maskhook, so if you just had the mask and not move it at all, the mask would be in that place in relation to where the maskhook is. In your case, it would've been way above your character's head.

I'm not even a modeller aside from what it takes to write a generic mesh loader, but even I recognize this as bad advice. Visual effect models are often aligned at the necessary hook pivot point, except sometimes being offset to account for computations that aren't done during the VFX loading process.

Maybe I should have said to reset the mask position to its pivot, instead of "reset the pivot?" That should have been implied.

Telling a modeller to "place it how you feel it should be placed" isn't how it is done in the business sector and complications are sure to arise that will necessitate them to waste time and money making subtle corrections later down the line.

Whut ???

Actually the center of the aurorabase of a mask gets aligned with the center of the maskhook.

That means that the Pivot point of the mask model, its mostly the center of the model, not always though.

Is best to be almost on the same of the Aurorabase.

So if the Revan mask model is 180 cm above its Aurorbasen, it'll get 180cm above the head.

Plus working on feeling is what I mostly do for my modelling.

So I guess I suck at it xD

Yeah, I think I threw in the wrong word there. Otherwise what you said was essentially the same, and confirmed for KotOR what I said earlier. Resetting the mask position to the pivot point is better than "guesstimating" its approximate location.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my reply. Like I said, I'm not a modeller, have only even looked at GMax one time (it appears to be worse than Blender, and that's impressive) and am basing this off of how many other games work. I've seen model placements go haywire when someone decides to change the positioning code one too many times (which was only once, but it took 3 days to re-edit all the models again).

(it appears to be worse than Blender, and that's impressive).

Ooh nooooooo..... don't say that, have faith man - have faith. It's way better than blender once you learn the basics of it's operations. There's much more that you can do with it then Blender. :)

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my reply. Like I said, I'm not a modeller, have only even looked at GMax one time (it appears to be worse than Blender, and that's impressive) and am basing this off of how many other games work. I've seen model placements go haywire when someone decides to change the positioning code one too many times (which was only once, but it took 3 days to re-edit all the models again).

Well you came off a bit sharp.

But it seems you know you're way around a 3D program.

No 2 games are a like to mod. Its amazing on how devellopers to do the "same" on so differant ways.

Gmax is a good tool but its outdated, being based on Max 4 or 5, IIRC.

Though, what Trigger suggested is infact move the model, the move tool in MAx actually does this with the Pivot point.

Moving, rotating and scaling tools are set on the pivot point of the mesh.

But more then that I don't know, being a amateur modeller I have no idea what the maths and technicale side of it all is.

Plus, we don't need to mess with codes, its get written by the export function and then by MDLops :p

Masks are one of the easier, safest things to do in 3D for the kotor games.

And Blender is infact a dang amazing programme, tried it once and the support by the community is great. If you stumble upon Oblivion modding its what they use to create new stuff.

Anyway, gett'n a bit of topic. Don't shy away for give'n your input. :)

Maybe I'm cynical, but I've seen people move objects, pivot and all, or attach to the wrong hook and then make paper calculations against the correct hook and use the offset to adjust the position. Say, where's a place to hire a good modeller anyway? We could use one :D.

You're right, though. I probably did come off a little harshly.

Re: Blender. It's not that it isn't capable. It's similar to GIMP in many ways -- the interface just takes getting used to.

Re: Blender. It's not that it isn't capable. It's similar to GIMP in many ways -- the interface just takes getting used to.

True, though IMO this was the same for 3Ds Max for me and Photoshop aswell.

These programs, you need a certain amount of time and messing about, to get comfertable with them :lol:

Somehow I was sometimes nervous in 3Ds MAx, afraid that would explode or something if I clicked wrong :p

Archived