Home

Graphics issue

Ping

So, for a while now, my PC has had some graphics issues regarding some video games. I've noticed that whenever I start up some games (particularly the old ones, like X-wing Alliance), instead of the screen looking all normal ingame, it looks very...blocky, for lack of a better term. The best way to describe it would be to say that very blocky pixellation appears, making the game unplayable, as you can't see what's going on. In some other games, like TSL, the game is playable, but the cutscenes have the same issue. The only thing that I can think of that would be causing this would be a lack of ActiveX on my PC, but I haven't found a download link for it, despite much searching. Another possibility is that I've noticed that everytime I start up the PC, when I login, a Windows Installer appears, and tries to install Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5. However, it always asks for an ActiveSync CD to be inserted, and if there's one lying around the house somewhere, then I'm not aware of it. Does anyone have any good ideas or help as to what is causing this graphics issue?

activeX does not have a direct relationship with 3d gaming performance. Apps that need it will already have it built in. Also, running internet explorer will tell you if you are missing relevant active-x scripts on compliant web pages and ask you to install them.

active sync is an application which synchronises windows (xp) with a pocket pc device. This also has nothing to do with gaming.

It does sound like your pc isnt behaving at a system level so you might want to look into that first > run all your standard malware scanners, and kill that install process.

Also, you should really list your specs, OS etc when listing queries... not just the games you want to run! It's like me calling a mechanic and saying, "Yo, I want to drive interstate but my car wont start. How do I fix it!"

mtfbwya

Yeah, sorry about not listing my OS. I went to bed last night when I realized I had forgotten to put that down :argh:

Anyways, I'm running an XP Professional, made in 2002, and I believe the graphics card is an nVidia nForce. Not exactly sure where to find the other system specs, though. :sweat:

With XP, just click on Start>My Computer>System Information (in the upper left pane). You should be able to find your way into Device Manager from there, which will list every piece of hardware in your computer.

Have you updated your graphics drivers lately?

@Evil Q: I don't think so. Also, I don't know if this would help, put I've noticed that whenever I try to take a screenshot of this issue, the screenshot would appear normally instead of showing the blocky graphics.

System specs:

System:

Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Sevice Pack 3

Computer:

AMD Athalon XP 2600+

1.9 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce FX 7500

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't recall Nvidia making an FX 7500. hmm, you're probably referring to the FX5500.

ok, its an older system, so that brings up this question: are you running DirectX 9.0c?? (you might need to run a DX Dialog to check if you don't know right off hand).

also, there could be a problem with the monitor or the signal cable if you're getting screenshots that look fine but the realtime gameplay doesn't. try using a different monitor first, and then try a different signal cable to see if that makes a difference (just don't check them both at the same time if you can help it).

its entirely possible that its an issue with the particular display mode the monitor is in, too. try using a different resolution and refresh rate, and you could also try turning Vsync on or off as well.

hope that helps. :)

Whoops! I got the 7 and the 5 mixed up, so it should be 5700 :doh:.

ok, its an older system, so that brings up this question: are you running DirectX 9.0c?? (you might need to run a DX Dialog to check if you don't know right off hand).

I believe that I am running DirectX 9.0c. Also, I don't think there's another monitor laying around the house, so that option will have to wait. Another possibility is that the graphics card just needs updating.

^^^^

i wouldn't bother updating that graphics card. you're likely running an AMD Socket A motherboard, and that means you can't upgrade your CPU. without upgrading your CPU, a new graphics card is going to be capped performance wise. the most you'd get is a card that supports SM 3.0, and even then, the CPU would probably limit your framerates by a huge percentage.

granted, its possible to upgrade your card for about $50 (and that's using a card that would actually be an "upgrade"), but the performance gain would be minimal. not to mention that there's no guarantee that the new card would actually solve your problem.

and as for using another monitor, if you have an HDTV, that would suffice for the purpose of checking to see if its a monitor related problem. most HDTV's have a VGA input on the back panel, and you can spend as little as $5 for a new VGA cable. that'll be a lot cheaper than looking for a new video card. ;)

Hm. I wonder if your graphics card's heatsink is clogged with dust and it's winking in and out because it's overheating? It's going to involve opening the case and removing the card, but it probably needs to be done, anyway. There's probably some sort of removable cover over the heatsink that you take off to clean out the dust. This should done every few months anyway for any graphics card with a fan.

Here is the link to update DirectX to the newest version. Make a new folder on your desktop and label it whatever you want. Download the file to your desktop and run it. When it asks you where to extract the files, point it to that new folder. Then go into the folder and run the .exe file. After it's done installing, you can delete both the file that you downloaded and the folder that you extracted the files to.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me for my slow reponse, I've not only been busy with school but I also forgot about this for a while.

Anyways, I tried what you said Evil Q, and nothing changed. I tried it out with the game "Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Mummy", and I'm still getting the same issue. I did get the option to install DirectX 9.0c while I was installing it, but I decided not to, seeing the advice you had given me.

Archived