Home

Kotor: Time Shift (K1)

Yatsookey

Hey everyone i would like to announce Team Zakkeg's first project which we have named "Time Shift"

it is a small mod focused around a multitude of new content packed into such a small mod, the mod itself is planned to have about 10 new modules, a fully voiced cast of characters, new weapons designed special by our expert modeling friend here at the game design department, Jessi Heffner

"Bound by the hand of the Calidarians, Sith Lord Kahn Greblin, has finally escaped from his eternal prison, and is now seeking revenge on the guardians who had bound him, will you aid him in his quest to control time, or will you stop him from wreaking havoc upon space, time, and perhaps even existence itself....."

star-wars-kotor-knights-of-the-old-republic-logo.jpg

Features

-A fully integrated storyline

-A new race, the Calidarians

-A new planet to explore (10 Modules total, may be changed)

-A fully voiced mod!

-New weapons, armor, and head models

-A new set of side quests

and here is the trailer, note this is just a teaser and nothing in the mod is complete at this time, save characters and plot

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

in case you cant understand the words

-Too long, too long in the dark

-Bound by those filthy Calidarians

-They stole my birthright, and now i can reclaim it

Props to our friend Sean for providing the voice of Khan in the trailer

More information coming once our teacher finishes the script.

Weaver academy departments involved in the mod and their role

Game Design Department- plot, story, characters

Sci Vis Department- 3D, and texturing

Digital Media Department- Voice Overs, and audio editing

C++ Programming Department- Scripting

and just for reference i am the teams public representative, i wont be doing much more than story edits, trailers, and announcements for the team, as they dont have accounts here yet.

okay i have quite a few announcements now, first of which is, the script is now complete, and our team is quite proud of what we have done so far.

full on production is now underway and we expect to have character head models done within the next few weeks.

and the other announcements quoted by Mr. Kimmins

"first off the C++ class has been experimenting with the script a little bit and have created a force power that halts all hostile NPC's in a module while allowing the player and players party to keep moving as is, we have nicknamed this power Flash Freeze, and there will be many more powers to come"

"secondly we are beginning work on concept art for the calidarians and their weapons, and we should have pictures of them within the week, hope you enjoyed the update and stay tuned for more updates yet to come on this exciting new project"

-Mr. Roy Kimmins head of team Zakkeg

end quote

well there you have it stay tuned

Tuesday-sure i suppose i could give you some information, the calidarians have forever been the guardians of the time gate and hence time itself, these force sensitive elvish-like creatures have always protected the gate. Arcadia, the planet they inhabit is full of lush forests constantly bombarded by rift storms, hovering islands that have broken away from the surface, and ruins of a once grand civilization, the only place untouched by the planets rift storms is the capital city Zephyr, which is full of canals, bridges, waterfalls, and crystalline buildings.

hope that was enough info, we will also have environmental concept art as our team is making the modules from scratch, hoping to add to the mods overall quality.

Wednesday update: the force power, known as "flash freeze" is now working properly, we were having some issues yesterday while testing it, there was a problem that would cause the players party to slow down to an extremely low speed, almost to the point of being frozen, but the problem has been corrected.

second, i have begun working on concept art for areas, weapons, and designs of the Calidarians, while our teacher gathers voice actors for the characters from the digital media department, please do not ask for a position in voice overs at this point, we will announce when and if we need open casting.

thanks everyone, stay tuned

sry in advance for double posting updates

hey guys big update for ya, thanks to our good friend mr. kimmins, we now have the music department composing music specifically for this mod, i gotta say its cool having the entire school at my disposal for a mod, i hope we can make this mod as good as we have planned it

secondly, i am almost done with all of the concept art, and once i fix my scanner ill showcase what we have so far.

that's all for today's update, stay tuned for more

okay well i have been working with concepts a bit and thought of some ideas for the calidarians, please note this is not the final design basically creatures with upside down wings, blades for elbows, and lizard like heads

PS sorry for bad quality, my scanner is busted and i had to take the shot with my phone

facebook_pics_033.jpg

i know im not the best artist but the final version will look better

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting updates in so long, ive been quite busy this month with our original game project and the holidays, i should have more updates by next week and by then the second semester would have started and game design 2 would be underway i do have a bit of an informational update however, models for the calidarians ARE complete and we were starting on the animations before we left for the holidays so by estimation the animations should be finished within a month or so, the calidarians are the only custom creatures we are using due to the need of animating them expect more updates as the new year closes in :) happy holidays everyone.

It's a very exciting mod/thread but you'll have to forgive a slight reservation on behalf of some of the forumites that've been here basically since Kotor/TSL were originally released.

What we've seen over the years is a lot of larger production concepts bite the dust, being major additional content/conversions such as this project (it is by no means a small mod, a small mod is some reskinning, minor scripting or 2da/uti editing), what inevitably happens is over the weeks/months/years of mod development the inspiration, typically developing further programming/game development skills is achieved without the mod itself being finalised to completion, debugging, general release and post-release bug reporting and user support/patching.

The most infamous example would be Team Gizka and their TSLRP project (and others by members), which essentially became an exclusive beta release and a piecemeal series of isolated bugfixes and restorations after about four years of anticipation and work. It was announced basically the same as what you've done here back in 2005 and we're still waiting, it had even regathered some momentum in 2008 but again became stillborn as real life got in the way for the team of programmers/modders involved.

What it sounds like is the computer tech/arts department of your school has taken up a mod project as a curriculum proxy, as part of learning game development skills. In this sense it would not be completely necessary as far as the lecturers are concerned for the mod to become fully developed and finalised, as long as the game development skills, teamwork and various other curriculum based criteria for the project are satisfied.

It is reasonably likely you'll be graded on the work long before the finished product is uploaded, and by this time inspiration to complete the project may well have waned.

A big tell is the fact the mod team involved are not previousy committed to the Kotor-modding community (not existing and known members at the boards here) but are independent game development students. Their priorities are likely to be individual career interests rather than a mod for a community based at a specific game's forums. Personal investment in delivering the mod to the Kotor-community is likely to be fairly low.

I am very hopeful and in the event it all turns out quite looking forward to it. But just at this stage I'm somewhat unconvinced. Why would a group of students be more committed to one specific game-community's mod project than Team Gizka, whom were specifically committed to TSL as opposed to other games and personally invested in patching its cut content for public release?

I'm not entirely convinced you guys will go the distance to a completed and debugged mod for the general community, but kudos for the project and naturally I wish you all the best. I look forward to any updates or potential release.

you make a very valid point and i do see where you are coming from, the mod will most likely not get finished but whatever we do get done will most likely be released as a community mod im sorry to have to say this but it is true and your point explains every bit of what i was expecting from the teacher at the point of him deciding to make it a project. i am in fact been doubting the project since it began as well since no mod of this size can be completed within a year, it is a possibility that his students for next year will pickup what is left but that remains to be seen.

What you might be able to do when school reconvenes is get some informal agreement from the lecturer to release whatever work is done to the mod community here at LucasForums so that it isn't wasted and can be finished off if need be as a final release version.

There is no real issue with copyright anyway as it is retained by the copyright owners of Kotor and TSL as it is, for any game modding. So recognition of additional creative material involved with modding existing games is informal and among the community, and not legally binding (unless porting independent graphics models not specifically tied to the game).

Archived