Home

KOTOR Steam version does not work on Win7

Darth_sidek

FIXED! If you are having this problem, change Texture Filtering- Negative LOD bias to Clamp for Steam .exe. This can be found in the Nvidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D settings. This fix is tested solely on an Nvidia 260 Core 216 with 195.62 edition drivers, downloadable for my specific case here : http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.62_whql.html . Those are the drivers for Win7, 64bit and only will work for that.

I have three editions of KOTOR: The original (3? I forget)-CD set, the DVD included in the Star Wars Collection or whatever it is, and the Steam version. While, after applying a few fixes and compatibiliy mode, the first two work, the Steam version cannot have many of the aforementioned fixes applied to it. Now, I could just use my other KOTOR discs, but many cannot. Has anyone had success with trying to run KOTOR's Steam version on Win7? It crashes instantaneously upon opening.

Edit: Sorry, forgot system specs o_o. I am running a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 4 GB Ram DDR2, Nvidia 260 and I have NO idea what my mobo is..... I'll check back with another edit as soon as I find the box.

Edit2: It is an Asus P5Q. BTW, the system spec tool won't work for me because I uninstalled my other versions of this while the Steam one was downloading, and don't have KOTOR 2 installed on this box yet.

Works great here, bought it yesterday.. I have same motherboard and CPU and amount of RAM, but i use ATI 4870x2. I use x86 version (Ultimate), if you're on x64 its probably the reason why it wont work since its not a very compatible OS compared to x86..

Im using the widescreen fix to run it in 1920x1080 + nocd patch.. but it worked "unmodded" too... the only problem i have is that it won't show me the intro sequnce when i click "new game", it will be black and i can only hear the sound, the game is working fine though.

Works great here, bought it yesterday.. I have same motherboard and CPU and amount of RAM, but i use ATI 4870x2. I use x86 version (Ultimate), if you're on x64 its probably the reason why it wont work since its not a very compatible OS compared to x86..

Im using the widescreen fix to run it in 1920x1080 + nocd patch.. but it worked "unmodded" too... the only problem i have is that it won't show me the intro sequnce when i click "new game", it will be black and i can only hear the sound, the game is working fine though.

x86 is what I'm using, the Home Premium OS. Sorry, forgot 'bout that. Just gonna try downloading it again- wonder if the download files were corrupted.

I use x86 version (Ultimate), if you're on x64 its probably the reason why it wont work since its not a very compatible OS compared to x86...

WRONG. Vista and 7 64's x86 compatibility layer is awesome. I haven't installed either game since upgrading to 7, but I had them running fine on Vista HP 64-bit.

Too busy playing Dragon Age...

Oh, and note: I just tried it on another PC that is 64-bit Win7 and, actually, the same other specs (I like to make my computers compatible; that way, if one computer dies, I can rig up an SLI PC if it wasn't the GPU. If ,say, the mobo fails on one and the GPU on the other, I still have one working PC :D.)

I did redownload it on both PCs and did integrity check. It just says that it stopped working.

Improvement! After spending my whole day trying to fix this, I crack it's unworkiness. Well, kinda. After going to Lucasarts, applying the normal 1.03 patch, applying the No-CD crack and then applying the widescreen mod for my resolution (1440 x 900), it now starts up as normal for a second, only to suddenly dissapear for a second, flash back again, then crash.

WRONG. Vista and 7 64's x86 compatibility layer is awesome. I haven't installed either game since upgrading to 7, but I had them running fine on Vista HP 64-bit.

Too busy playing Dragon Age...

I had Vista x64 running for half a year and i had nothing but trouble with it, not with games really but with x86 plugins for cubase and photoshop, it wasnt any good for an advanced HTPC either, many incompability problems with x64 for me.. W7 x64 might be better though :)

I just fixed my problem; editing the title post. If KOTOR crashes on startup with an Nvidia card, you need to change Texture Filtering-Negative LOD bias to Clamp. This is on the latest drivers for my Nvidia 260 Core 216.

Edit: I guess I should give credit to whichever guy found the fix for earlier model Nvidia cards about a Clamping option. Although I can't find the thread right now, this is simply that fix , but with different steps that work for the newer cards.

Archived