Home

The Secret World

Miltiades

The Secret World is an MMORPG created by Funcom (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan), with Ragnar Tørnquist (The Longest Journey) as creative director, set in a contemporary world in combination with magic and the use of myths, urban legends and all sorts of conspiracy theories. Rock Paper Shotgun has a preview of the game and there's some footage from Gametrailers embedded there. It's an unusual take, if you ask me, on the MMO genre. Here's their official site, by the way.

MMO's never have been my cup of tea, but together with Guild Wars 2, this has awakened my interest in MMO's. It's trying to do something new and feels different because of its unusual setting in a genre dominated by Medieval/High fantasy. And a game created by the developer of The Longest Journey always gets me excited.

What do you think?

I tend to be wary of MMOs but I've been following this one regardless, because it involved Tornquist and involves the whole 'conspiracies are true' angle, which reminds me fondly of Deus Ex. I also like the direction they're taking with the gameplay here, with the faux-card system.

Archived