Home

Model Viewer

cplhenshaw

Hi guys,

I've been learning to program and have put together a model viewer for Grim Fandango.

It can be downloaded from here.

It's not particularly user friendly, it won't work right out, you need to get all the files that it needs. There are instructions in the readme but here's the basics.

You need to copy the DATA .LAB files ( 0 through to 4 ) into the "gfmv" folder. Then go into the "models" subfolder and run "extractModels.exe". This will copy all the files it needs out of the .LAB files. Once this is done, you can delete the .LAB files. Then the model viewer can be started by running "gfmv.exe" from the main folder.

Right click brings up a menu to choose models.

Holding the left mouse and moving allows rotating the models. ( or 'A' and 'D' on the keyboard)

Holding the middle mouse and moving allows adjusting the distance to the model. ( or '1' and '2' on the keyboard )

'W' and 'S' shift the model up / down which allows centering different sized models in the window, or getting a closer look at them.

I've never distributed a program before and I've only been able to try this on two computers, so I'm hoping it will work for everyone.

Let me know if it works. Oh, and Happy New Year!:)

Meh, since nobody is reacting to this genius tool( at least so far), I see my chance to give a bit constructive feedback this time.

At times some model parts are missing, like the bottom of GrimReaper Manny or Meche (Ruba). (maybe caused by missing map allocation? <- wild guess)

Besides that, it works good. I tried to load models with the cmd line and it works too. Though, I see the pain to find the right cmp for the 3do files.

My question would be; Is the map allocation part hard coded?(the menu list) And if yes, would it be possible to store the 3do and cmp affiliation into some kind of list.txt? This way could lead to have a full list with some trial & error at some point.

And export feature would be nice :D

The models itself are great. The grimF modeling team never missed to delete unnecessary polygons.

Oh and one thing. I saw that bigger objects also take more space/ are in bigger scale. Are the models in scale/ proportion to each other?

I ask because it would be really nice to make another ingame character shot like they made for the manual cover, without having to guess the right size of the model everytime.

That's it for now.

You did a great job man! Thanks again,

sallim

edit:

Win7 ultimate, x64, no issues, Radeon 4870.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. :)

In the game to animate flexible things like skirts and such they used a series of different meshes and then just flicked through them. These were all stored in seperate .3do files ( for example md_walk_skirt.3do contains all the meshes that would be displayed when manny walks in his robe ). Another problem that I hadn't anticipated was that models might use multiple .cmp files, such as when Manny is in Charlies suit and has the Thunder makeup on.

The current menu is a hardcoded list of the main character .3do's with the appropriate .cmp files, which were easy enought to find. I had started creating a full list and should be able to complete it with a bit of time. Using Scummrev the .cmp files are often nearby the .3do The real trick would be organising the 500+ .3do into useful categories for the menu.

The models do appear to be to scale, and I don't think the game does any scaling. The two thunder boys appear identical except that one is slightly smaller, but they use seperate model files rather than scaling them in the game.

As for exporting them, half the work is done in reading the .3do's, would just need to choose a format to export to, preferablly one that would avoid needing to manually reapply all the textures once you had it. :)

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this site. So at first: Hola and ahoj everyone^^

cplhenshaw, I really like the program you have made and had alot of fun to look at all the great characters.

Do you plan to implement the animations (Manny's animation in which he smokes for example)?

It would also be comfortable to have permanent dropdown menus, since its quiet tireing always to click right, search categorie, search model...

yeah, keep up the good work^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hey, thanks for the feedback. :)

In the game to animate flexible things like skirts and such they used a series of different meshes and then just flicked through them. These were all stored in seperate .3do files ( for example md_walk_skirt.3do contains all the meshes that would be displayed when manny walks in his robe ). Another problem that I hadn't anticipated was that models might use multiple .cmp files, such as when Manny is in Charlies suit and has the Thunder makeup on.

The current menu is a hardcoded list of the main character .3do's with the appropriate .cmp files, which were easy enought to find. I had started creating a full list and should be able to complete it with a bit of time. Using Scummrev the .cmp files are often nearby the .3do The real trick would be organising the 500+ .3do into useful categories for the menu.

The models do appear to be to scale, and I don't think the game does any scaling. The two thunder boys appear identical except that one is slightly smaller, but they use seperate model files rather than scaling them in the game.

As for exporting them, half the work is done in reading the .3do's, would just need to choose a format to export to, preferablly one that would avoid needing to manually reapply all the textures once you had it. :)

Thanks for this awesome tool :)

So, in case anyone is interested - for the sake of a personal collection, I'm trying to see if it's possible to try and 3d print these models on something like http://www.shapeways.com. Seems these need to be converted using an older version of 3dstudiomax that supports 3do files, and then scale it etc. to something compatible. Should be pretty awesome if it works out. Let me know if anyone is interested in progress on this or if they have any ideas, or maybe if they have some existing model files they can share/make available on shapeways / similar site. Might not turn out as amazing as these hand-made ones by Iain Reekie: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stureek/grim.htm , but otherwise should be pretty cool!

ThunderPeel, I didn't get too far trying to find the .cmp for every model (~100/500) but did get most of the main characters. Partial list

It's probably worth asking one of the Residual guys where this information is stored because presumably they must know to have gotten it working.

wiplash, I had a look at shapeways website and it looks pretty cool. I'll put up some Blender 3d files with most of the main characters.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sd1sdv56f9v7asd

http://www.mediafire.com/?l0s1ks3dnt05g61

I also saw there were some tutorials on their website for using Blender and the adjustments you will need to make to the models, such as joining all the pieces into one mesh, optionally hollowing them out if you want them to be cheaper etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived